Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Part time hours and holiday entitlement

(9 Posts)
georgedawes Wed 13-Jun-18 18:59:06

If a job is advertised as every Saturday (half day) then presumably you would still accrue holiday hours and would be able to book some days off?

Trying to decide whether to apply for a job but wouldn't want to work every single Sat, if I could book some off it would help.

EmpressJewel Wed 13-Jun-18 19:05:29

Minimum leave entitlements is 5.6 weeks, which is about 5 days a year.

BitchQueen90 Wed 13-Jun-18 19:07:17

What EmpressJewel said. You should be entitled to about 5 Saturdays off a year paid at the half day rate.

georgedawes Wed 13-Jun-18 19:17:17

Thanks! It would include one other half day every two weeks, so presumably the holiday entitlement would be a little more. Would it be up to the employer as to whether the hours could be taken as holiday only on the days they accrue or on the Sat?

User0ne Wed 13-Jun-18 19:21:17

No they can't, though they can refuse holiday requests for operational reasons. If your main day is Saturday though it should be fine

PandaPieForTea Wed 13-Jun-18 19:23:49

I think you would need to check that they wouldn’t make you always take your holiday on your other working day. I’m not convinced that there would be anything to stop them doing that.

georgedawes Wed 13-Jun-18 19:28:40

OK thanks, that's really helpful. I wouldn't mind at all operational reasons for refusing holiday, just wanted to at least have a few weekends for holidays etc.

BeyondThePage Wed 13-Jun-18 19:30:49

At my employer if you work Saturdays you can take 6 Saturdays off a year - otherwise people would use all their leave on Saturdays and others - who do not want to work Saturdays (so didn't apply for that job) have to cover...

georgedawes Wed 13-Jun-18 19:33:59

That seems fair enough. I appreciate the job is mainly on Saturdays but I have a holiday booked later in the year and was hoping to go camping a couple of times too. I didn't want to apply if there would be no chance of taking the day off occasionally, but a few per year seems much better.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: