Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

People claiming to have missed calls from me?

(17 Posts)
Usagii Wed 13-Jun-18 18:34:37

This evening I received a call from an unknown mobile number. The lady said she had a missed call from me. All I could do was say that I definitely had not rung her. That was the end of that.

Then 1-2 minutes later I receive a text from another unknown mobile number asking who I am because they received a missed call from me. Again I explain that they are mistaken, and that something weird must be going on.

Hard to convince them if my number is on their missed call list, surely?

I have rang O2 who advised me to block these two numbers and they will call me back tomorrow when my call list has been updated so they can look into it for me.

Has this happened to anyone else?

KnockMeDown Wed 13-Jun-18 18:36:57

There was an identical thread to this started at lunchtime?

Usagii Wed 13-Jun-18 18:38:02

Ah really? I'll try and find it, thank you

Usagii Wed 13-Jun-18 18:42:07

Sorry which topic was it under? Not having much luck finding it sad

doesmyheadin Wed 13-Jun-18 18:46:37

My friend put on fb today that her phone had been ringing random people and they had called her back too.
Maybe something up with the network?

LanguidLobster Wed 13-Jun-18 18:49:17

Yes there was something similar, in chat.

TarquinGyrfalcon Wed 13-Jun-18 18:50:57

I saw this thread a few minutes ago- sounds like the same issue

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/3277027-iPhone-hacked

LanguidLobster Wed 13-Jun-18 18:53:13

Oh the one from earlier was 'Odd phone call' a few pages back

TheBigFatMermaid Wed 13-Jun-18 18:56:17

Another one here... [https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/3276640-odd-phone-call]

IlikemyTeahot Wed 13-Jun-18 19:01:32

This happened to a relative of mine a few years ago.
If you have recently installed any "free call" apps or "free messengers" like Viber etc you must go into setting and remove its permissions and get rid asap also alert your mobile carrier about the apparent calls from your number.
These kind of apps allow scammers to use your phone number to cold call people, it starys with missed calls to randomly generated numbers then eventually they start asking for a range of things including addresses,donations, loans and my favorite your bank details because you've won a prize in a competition they can't seem to tell you about.
Be prepared to get some angry calls back!

My relative managed to get it shut down and kept her own number but the calls back came in for the rest of the week from angry people asking why she was trying to scam them!
Some of the voicemails were quite funny.

Usagii Wed 13-Jun-18 19:04:33

Thank you I have commented and read the "odd phone call" thread. Sounds exactly like the problem I'm having.

I haven't got any apps like that installed either, but that does sound horrifying sad

IlikemyTeahot Wed 13-Jun-18 19:10:19

Usagii Any apps at all that required 'permission to access contacts etc downloaded in the last few days ...get rid x

Usagii Wed 13-Jun-18 19:14:45

Hmmm nope not downloaded any new apps for a long time confused

ihatethecold Wed 13-Jun-18 19:21:19

My dd 14 had this at the weekend. It was so odd. I called EE and they were not aware of anything like this.
My dd does have the typical apps on her phone.
what should I be doing to check security?
Since I called EE she hasn't had any more calls

Usagii Wed 13-Jun-18 19:28:53

ihatethecold, when I called O2 they said they'd had a few people calling with this issue today. So I'm hoping I get some answers tomorrow.

tobee Wed 13-Jun-18 19:41:46

Is it stupid to wonder about the car phone warehouse leak in the news today? Or has that been dealt with?

Usagii Wed 13-Jun-18 19:47:45

tobee Hmm possibly? I didn't get my phone through carphone warehouse however

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: