Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Feeding the monster that is a teenager!

(23 Posts)
greeneggblueegg Wed 13-Jun-18 17:49:42

What snacks do you give your teen? DS 13 is always starving when he gets in from school and later at night. Unfortunately he also opts for sugar laden crap; so much so I either don't buy it or have to hide it away!

He has always been a bit of a grazer and doesn't eat huge amounts at meal times so needs regular topping up. To make things harder he's not a huge fan of bread/crumpets etc which does make things trickier.

Stumped for ideas on what I can give him that's quick, cheap and have at least a modicum of nutritional health!

What do you all give your teenage hoovers?!

TheCrowFromBelow Wed 13-Jun-18 17:54:26

Fruit - family apple bags, melon and easy peelers.
Breadsticks, hummus, veg (called “snack plate”).
Cheese and biscuits.
In winter they like noodles with prawns- I use a multi pack nest as they are cheaper than super noodle type ones.
Cheese on toast.
One pack of crisps per day max.
Biscuits - I buy 2 packs a week and when they are gone, that’s it until next week.

Taffeta Wed 13-Jun-18 17:57:50

My 14 yo DS has

Cereal
Toast
Ham or bacon sandwich
Cut up apple with lemon squeezed on
Whole carton of grapes
Whole punnet of strawberries
Fibre One bars
Pain au chocolat

kaytee87 Wed 13-Jun-18 17:58:02

Ham sandwich
Cheese on toast
Cheese & oatcakes/crackers
Banana & yoghurt
Soup

NetballHoop Wed 13-Jun-18 18:01:11

There are 3, soon to be 4 teenagers in the house.

Cheese, ham, apples, crackers, bread, Branston pickle, mayonnaise, smoothies, yoghurts, bread sticks, rice cakes, milk, fruit juice, hummus, olives... I could go on

They all get devoured at a rate that would embarrass a locust. I was particularly impressed with DS1 who I spotted with a pint glass full of olives a couple of days ago.

TheCrowFromBelow Wed 13-Jun-18 18:02:14

I would say that they give themselves these things, though.
My involvement is minimal apart from the crucial getting it from the supermarket and paying for it bit grin

dementedma Wed 13-Jun-18 18:05:26

DS (16) is huge but refuses any healthy options involving vegetables so anything like carrot sticks etc are just not going to work! He fills up on wraps, sandwiches, cereal, pasta....or buys himself junk food. I worry about his diet but he's too big to force feed.

ggirl Wed 13-Jun-18 18:13:42

my son makes simple hot snacks cos he doesn't like bread or cereal or anything normal hmm

he will grill or bake stuff like fish fingers after school or breaded chicken pieces then will eat a full dinner a few hours later

often followed in the evening with crackers , fruit

Turquoisetamborine Wed 13-Jun-18 18:14:57

My eldest is ten but seems to have started to eat an enormous amount recently. He’ll have cereal for breakfast, side portion of fruit like raspberries and a glass of juice.
Packed lunch he takes a pack of Cheese Toasties, a Kellogg’s nutrigrain bar, a piece of fruit, yoghurt and a smoothie.

He’s absolutely starving when he gets in from school so he has hummus and pita or breadsticks with cherry tomatoes as a snack, sometimes a couple of babybels.

Tea is normally either scampi/fishfingers, chips and peas/pasta with veg sauce, loads of cheese on top plus garlic bread/pizza/Veggie roast dinner.

He then has toast or homemade pancakes as a light supper.

I’ve taught him to make most of these things himself.

Does it get worse than this? I can’t imagine him eating any more than that!

happihannible68 Wed 13-Jun-18 18:26:08

Luckily my son who's 12, he too comes in from school absolutely ravenous. But he loves tuna salad rolls or chicken salad rolls then crisps,but his new fad is Granny Smith Apple's (peeled,cored,sliced) with crunchy peanut butter. Then there's dinner he is having Chicken Kiev, sweet corn and new potatoes He does love his food . But have to keep an eye on his snacking sometimes

picklemepopcorn Wed 13-Jun-18 18:32:34

Unlimited cereal, unlimited fruit and veg, at any time.

Everything else happens after a meal.

picklemepopcorn Wed 13-Jun-18 18:33:00

But don't buy really rubbishy cereal. If they are hungry, they will eat it.

greeneggblueegg Wed 13-Jun-18 18:37:17

Part of the problem is that I'm not here for about half an hour when he gets home, so he'll raid the place for any junk confused

picklemepopcorn Wed 13-Jun-18 18:55:57

Value instant noodles.

And don't have junk in! Sorry.

greeneggblueegg Wed 13-Jun-18 19:04:34

Where from Pickle?

greeneggblueegg Wed 13-Jun-18 19:07:24

Sorry meant which noodles?

And yes you're right about junk. I don't buy much (it's nice to have a bits in though as an occasional treat!) but if DS knows it's there he'll just devour it. Have even taken to hiding biscuits/choc etc!

TheCrowFromBelow Wed 13-Jun-18 20:03:49

I buy 6 (or 5?) nests of medium egg noodles from the foods of world bit in The supermarket.
1 nest takes 4 mins to cook and they put sweet chilli sauce, a bit of marigold stock or soy sauce on it and they like it.
or try the packs of instant noodles with the sauce sachets in them.

greeneggblueegg Wed 13-Jun-18 20:19:55

Genius Crow! DS would love that combo

FreeMantle Wed 13-Jun-18 20:37:17

Mine is currently living on scotch eggs and cucumber as a snack after school.
I also give him a smaller supper and then he can have seconds when he's starving again before bed.
He likes crackers and cheese with milk er after second supper. He usually only has yogurt and fruit for breakfast with a drink for lunch so he's not a massive eater.

I don't buy crisps because I'd eat them and he won't eat humous but that's what his friend like,

rabbitmat Wed 13-Jun-18 20:42:09

Mine will just go to his Grandma's house if there are no biscuits at ours! Drives me mad. I like that your teens are making these snacks themselves - must try that as I feel I am on a continual feeding and clearing up cycle.

Mine will eat tons of fruit - apples and oranges.

Notquiterichenough Wed 13-Jun-18 20:42:10

I've clear a section of the fridge for mine, and fill it with tubs of cheese, chicken slices, shredded lettuce etc. A nurse friend suggested leaving protein snacks around, and it has definitely stopped the sugar/carb grazing. He'll happily eat crackers, cheese etc. He ate an entire pack of chicken slices today, before a sports club.

ohtheholidays Wed 13-Jun-18 20:53:42

We have 5DC,3 of them are teenagers and 1 is 22.

They'll eat melon,mango,fresh pineapple,strawberries,cherries,grapes,apples,bananas,satsumas,crackers,seeded ryvita,with cheese/cheese spread,slices of ham,slices of turkey,chicken pieces(done in tikka or satay)a bowl of soup,boiled egg and toast,cheese/marmite/jam/honey/peanut butter/nutella on toast,nuts and seeds,cocktail sausages,sandwiches,a packet of crisps,a cereal bar or biscuit bar,homemade biscuits/a homemade flapjack or homemade biscuits,homous and crudites.

They eat tons of food,but none of them are over weight and they're all 6 ft and over so we let them eat as much food as they need.

TeeBee Wed 13-Jun-18 21:01:09

Boiled egg
Cheese and crackers
Salad and chicken wrap
Noodles
Pasta
Samosas
Chicken satay
Bowl of shreddies
Apple with peanut butter
Pitta bread with humous

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: