Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Metformin and extreme thirst

(13 Posts)
susurration Wed 13-Jun-18 17:12:17

Posting in chat for traffic.

I have PCOS and have been prescribed Metformin. I've been taking it for four days at 500mg 1xdaily so far, increasing to 2xdaily next week.

I am SO thirsty! Like my throat is on fire thirsty, but definitely not acid reflux. I have a headache too, as if i'm dehydrated. I've had four pint glasses of water and three cups of mint tea today and i'm still thirsty now. My pee is almost clear

Has anyone else had this?

mayhew Wed 13-Jun-18 17:35:25

Have you had your blood sugar checked? High sugars make you thirsty and pcos can cause this. It's Type 2 diabetes.

LittleMissedTheSunshine Wed 13-Jun-18 17:36:59

No, been on it for years and never heard of this

Buxtonstill Wed 13-Jun-18 17:40:26

It's Type 2 diabetes
Brilliant! Telepathic Diagnosis....
Go and see your Dr if you have some concerns, I'm sure they can reassure you.

SmilingButClueless Wed 13-Jun-18 17:44:48

Are you on the standard tablets or the slow-release ones?

I couldn’t tolerate the standard tablets (different side effects to yours) but the slow-release seem much better, although I’m still not able to take the full dose the consultant wanted.

susurration Wed 13-Jun-18 18:37:26

I don't have type 2 diabetes, I have PCOS which is tied to insulin resistance. Metformin is often prescribed to people with pcos to help deal with insulin resistance and attempt to prevent pre-diabetes.

I'm not sure if it's slow release or normal. My next gp appointment is in three weeks and i have a blood test to check kidney function in a week and a half.

DaisyDreaming Wed 13-Jun-18 18:49:18

It’s famous for giving upset stomachs, I can take it fine but my mum was very thirsty due to the amount of dia she was having (TMI), is your stomach normal or could it be brewing?

scrunchSE18 Wed 13-Jun-18 18:49:22

I felt rough for the first couple of weeks after starting metformin. Lots of headaches and nausea too. Go back to your GP if you are at all concerned by side effects. Remember this drug is doing big things to your body. Feeling awful seems quite common amongst others I know who have started it. I took it for type 2 diabetes (diagnosed at 38) but also have PCOS with its associated fertility problems. I became pregnant 3 months after starting on it - 10 years on I think my husband is still surprised!

susurration Wed 13-Jun-18 19:16:34

No upset or rumbly tummy. I took it briefly in 2016 and did suffer for a day or two then, but had nothing this time. It's all boringly normal, i'm just thirsty!

I did get pregnant within six weeks of starting the prescription last time after three years of trying! I too was amazed. Not taking it for fertility this time, just to try and deal with the symptoms.

Becca19962014 Wed 13-Jun-18 19:57:00

Slow release has SR on the box (usually) it might be the brand (I've had reactions to brands other than glucophage which is the only one I'm now prescribed - one caused me to be hospitalised).

You can get high blood sugar if you drink alcohol when taking it which can make you very thirsty as well as cause high blood sugar, sometimes people aren't aware of that as the warning is if you're an alcoholic.

You could, if you're concerned, try checking your blood sugars, some pharmacies offer this service as a one off (not all the time obviously) of you could look at getting a machine to check your blood sugar though they can be expensive.

CheekyRedhead Wed 13-Jun-18 20:03:35

My mum and work colleague both take this and constantly get dry mouth. Both take gum or sugar free sweets

susurration Wed 13-Jun-18 20:07:29

Excellent, thanks. I'll see how it goes over a day or two and then think about getting my blood sugar checked. I don't drink alcohol.

The thirst has only been since monday afternoonish and we've not eaten particularly healthy dinners the last few nights.

The box only says metformin on it, not glucophage or SR.

Becca19962014 Wed 13-Jun-18 20:13:50

Ok it sounds like it's a generic brand then usually they have SR on if slow release. It could also be due to food you've been eating, if it's been particularly salty. It may just be a minor reaction to a minor ingredient in the tablets as well. See how it goes for the next couple of days, let your body settle into taking it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: