Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Prostate cancer survival stories

(40 Posts)
starsorwater Wed 13-Jun-18 17:09:59

Please? It's been an awful day.

ISpeakJive Wed 13-Jun-18 17:17:49

I’m so sorry you’ve had a shitty day Stars flowers

My grandad got prostate cancer when he was about 60. Had his treatment (although I can’t remember exact type of treatment) and is now heading into his 90’s without any issues (well apart from his usual moaning).

I’m sure there are many more positive stories out there.

reallyanotherone Wed 13-Jun-18 17:20:20

Prostate cancer is the most curable of all cancers.

It’s also fairly slow growing. It is often better to leave elderly men with their cancer- as they will likely die of old age long before the cancer. Plus it’s likely the chemo will kill them first....

CMOTDibbler Wed 13-Jun-18 17:20:43

Early stage prostate cancer is incredibly curable, and within that, even high risk prostate cancer can be really well controlled with the right treatment. Even patients with advanced disease can often have good symptom control for a long time.

Do you want to talk about your day?

starsorwater Wed 13-Jun-18 17:23:25

It's dh. He isn't old. 59.

Cedar03 Wed 13-Jun-18 17:23:38

Sorry you've had an awful day.

My DF was diagnosed about 3 years ago. He had one round of radiotherapy lasting 3 months (I think). And it has been fine ever since. Several of his friends have also been diagnosed with it in recent years and are still going strong.

DickTERFin Wed 13-Jun-18 17:24:06

My dad was diagnosed with it a couple of years ago and is now cancer free.

He had brachial (sp) therapy. The one where they put radioactive “grains” next to the tumor. Very effective and no terrible side effects either, just minor discomfort.

It’s a very slow growing and treatable cancer so don’t panic too much yet.

Bi11yOneMate Wed 13-Jun-18 17:24:31

My grandfather was diagnosed with prostate cancer in his early 80s. He died in his mid 90s, and I believe he still had the cancer but it wasn't doing much. flowers

LIZS Wed 13-Jun-18 17:27:58

Dbro (mid 50s) was diagnosed several years ago with it but has only now got to the point of needing treatment. In the meantime he has been monitored with blood tests and biopsies. Unfortunately it runs in the family. Ddad had radiotherapy and uncle surgery, both surviving 5 years + so far.

DontCallMeCharlotte Wed 13-Jun-18 17:28:08

My brother had it the year before last. Had the whole prostate removed. Didn't have any radiotherapy or chemotherapy. Is fully recovered now smile

Jaguarana Wed 13-Jun-18 17:29:17

My friend's DH was diagnosed with it aged 56. He had surgery to remove the prostate which was a complete success and he's doing really well. He's back at work now and cancer free.

flowers for you OP.

Surfingwhippet Wed 13-Jun-18 17:29:44

My uncle was diagnosed with an aggressive form of prostate cancer in 2005 when he was 53.
He's now only just been told it's spread to his bones. Now while this isn't good it does show that the prognosis of even an aggressive form isn't that bad

ajandjjmum Wed 13-Jun-18 17:33:57

I read that a huge number of men die with this disease rather than from it. In most cases it can be cured, or at least controlled.

What a terrible shock for you though starsorwater. wine

MiddlingMum Wed 13-Jun-18 17:35:05

A friend of ours was diagnosed about ten years ago. He's fine, and spends a happy retirement enjoying his hobbies and travelling to see his children and grandchildren who live in three different countries.

He was told he'd almost certainly die of something else eventually, not the prostate cancer.

Sorry to hear about your DH OP. Can you talk more to the hospital to get more information? flowers

MikeWyzowski Wed 13-Jun-18 17:37:01

My father had it at 65, full recovery. A friend had it at 38. It was a terrible prognosis and the younger you are the worse was what we heard, despite all of this he made a full recovery and is now 7 years clear.

Ski40 Wed 13-Jun-18 17:38:39

💐💐💐💐💐
DH's uncle had it and was treated and well now. He is in his 70s, still working and looks well.
Try not to worry. 💖🤞

CMOTDibbler Wed 13-Jun-18 17:43:30

Do you know your DHs gleason score and PSA? The Prostate Cancer charity have a great toolkit you can download with questions to ask and information

littlecabbage Wed 13-Jun-18 17:46:52

Sorry to hear this OP.

My friend's Dad (late 60s I believe) had a total prostatectomy 3 months ago. He has just been given the all clear, and needs no further treatment. Apparently it was quite an aggressive form as well, so even those can be cured.

UserThenLotsOfNumbers Wed 13-Jun-18 17:47:21

DH got prostate cancer aged 50.
He had prostate removal surgery.
It was caught early and he's 2 years into remission.
What's your partners gleason score?

UserThenLotsOfNumbers Wed 13-Jun-18 17:53:13

PM me if you want OP.

beckslovestimmy Wed 13-Jun-18 17:55:41

My dad had it, probably mid 50's when diagnosed after a 'well man' check up. He had no symptoms. He had his prostate removed robotically and no other treatment. He's been clear since and climbed mount snowdon last year.

Tiddlywinks63 Wed 13-Jun-18 17:58:50

My father was diagnosed aged 58, he's now 96 and going strong.
He gets an annual review and if his PSA has risen he has a hormone implant (certainly not every year).

Sofabitch Wed 13-Jun-18 18:00:13

Most people die with prostate cancer than of prostate cancer.

It's occasionally shitty aggressive but mostly its slow growing and doesn't kill.

Chrisinthemorning Wed 13-Jun-18 18:03:26

My Dad had it 2 years ago now. He had injections of anti testosterone drugs, then radiotherapy, then brachytherapy (radioactive seeds into prostate). He had a few side effects - bowel and bladder and had to have bladder Botox. He’s now completely fine, his psa is less than 1. He’s 73.
flowers

starsorwater Wed 13-Jun-18 19:52:36

Thank you. This is helpful. Thank you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: