Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Tell me about N Lincs - heaven or hell(hole)

(110 Posts)
Conkernudge Wed 13-Jun-18 16:04:18

My husband is potentially getting a job in Grimsby and we’re heading up to North Lincs this weekend to check it out.

We know nothing about it at all. Can anyone recommend some upmarket areas with good schools that we should check out?

Every time I try and do an internet search there’s a lot of negative things written about the area, so i’m apprehensive.

We have primary school aged children and currently live in Surrey and commute into London for work. I think i’ll miss all that London has to offer!

Would be really grateful for ideas. Is Louth nice? Market Rasen? Caistor? What about Cleethorpes?

Thanks vipers!

GahWhatever Wed 13-Jun-18 16:20:04

Caistor and Gainsborough have a selective system. Market Rasen used to be state boarding...not checked in last few years though. My step kids schooled in Brigg and I wouldn't recommend. If you're catholic there's a really good school in Scunthorpe but possibly too far inland for you.

Cleethorpes is a typical northern(ish) seaside town. It is not gentrified. Depends what you are after.

You are going to be able to buy a lot more for your money in N Lincs than you were I Surrey. but you may never be able to move back.
in Caistor catchment

TheKurgan Wed 13-Jun-18 16:37:06

I don't know Caistor and Cleethorpes, but Louth is a nice market town. Lots of independent shops and a great antiques centre. Horncastle is also nice, but less lively than Louth (which is not THAT lively). Market Rasen is a little uninspiring. It's not bad by any means but there's not a huge amount going on. It does have a train line to Lincoln and Newark and there are some very pretty villages just outside it, Tealby and Walesby.
All of these places will feel like a huge culture shock after Surrey/London, but I think Lincolnshire is unjustly maligned sometimes!

BarbaraofSevillle Wed 13-Jun-18 16:47:22

Don't know if rush hour traffic would be an issue but is the area around Hull a possibility if there is nowhere suitable in North Lincolnshire?

There's some lovely villages surrounding the city, which is also a lot nicer than it's reputation.

There's a Waitrose a few miles outside the city and people have said positive things about Hull and some of the schools on here before.

MrsPnut Wed 13-Jun-18 16:51:17

How far is he willing to commute?
Because you could look at Welton which is nearer to Lincoln and has excellent state schooling but is only 1hr 10 m drive to Grimsby and it would be against the usual rush hour traffic.

Conkernudge Wed 13-Jun-18 17:18:52

Thanks! Really useful advice.

In terms of commute, I’d think an hour from Grimsby maximum but ideally less.

Conkernudge Wed 13-Jun-18 17:20:22

Would definitely consider around Hull. Again, I’d heard some negative things...

ajandjjmum Wed 13-Jun-18 17:29:11

Louth is lovely for a weekend visit. DH's family are from the area, and tbh we always say how glad we are he made the break (running off to the Royal Navy at 17!)

Barnoldby le beck looks lovely - we enjoy visiting The Ship there - great food!

Hope you find somewhere lovely! smile

NotARegularPenguin Wed 13-Jun-18 17:38:36

Cleethorpes is a dump (sorry).

Louth is ok but a long way from anywhere.

Horncastle is ok and a bit closer to places. Both Louth and Horncastle have grammar schools.

Gainsborough is a bit rough but is closer to other places and Lincoln. Grammar school there, nicer areas on the outskirts and nice villages close by.

I have friends in both market rasen and caistor and they seem to like both. Both towns are quite small.

You need to think about how long it takes to travel places. I used to commute Louth to Lincoln and it took an hour (no rush hour traffic and it was the outskirts of one to the outskirts of the other, just rubbish roads). It’s not just commuting time but time to go to somewhere with better shops, cinema, etc.

NotARegularPenguin Wed 13-Jun-18 17:42:07

I’d honestly look at Gainsborough. The town itself isn’t exciting but good grammar school. It’s 51 mins drive to Grimsby. It’s about a 40 min drive to lincoln. There’s trains to lincoln or in the other direction there’s trains to Sheffield. Probably most importantly it’s further west than your other options so closer to A1, etc if you want to go see family or friends.

siwel123 Wed 13-Jun-18 17:42:37

No to Scunthorpe.
No to cleethorpes.

Yes to some of the market towns

NotARegularPenguin Wed 13-Jun-18 17:46:32

You could look at some of the villages on the outskirts, Morton, blyton, Upton. Maybe as far as Scotter but you’d have to be careful of the catchment for the grammar. It’s changed recently and admissions now partly depends on distance and partly on score. Something like if you’re within ten miles places are offered on distance, when they’re given to kids who passed the eleven plus any remaining places are offered to kids outside the ten mile line but on highest score not distance? Something like that, but check!

NotARegularPenguin Wed 13-Jun-18 17:49:03

When I say Gainsborough is rough is not dangerous rough. Just quite a bit of unemployment and deprivation in the town centre. But it’s safe and the people are friendly.

The town itself has had a shopping development a few years ago which oddly has some nice shops, M&S food, Seasalt shop, small Browns dept store, Next, new look.

HipposareHungry Wed 13-Jun-18 17:49:19

No to all of N Lincs. It truly is a depressing shit hole. Coming from London, you really won’t believe how stuck in the past the county is. I grew up there.

If I were you I’d choose somewhere different and accept your DH will have a long commute.

siwel123 Wed 13-Jun-18 17:52:54

So obviously hull didn't get capital of culture then?

Racecardriver Wed 13-Jun-18 17:53:32

Don't know much about North lincs but South lincs is lovely. Are you looking to educate privately or in a state school?

Tenko Wed 13-Jun-18 18:03:34

A lot depends on whether you want town/ city or rural.
I live in a village in NLincs.
There are lovely villages all over North Lincs, though some are very rural, and also around Hull. Some outstanding schools in the area around Hull though not so much in the city. Hull is much maligned IMO it's a pleasant northern city and the nicer western end would be within an hour of Grimsby.
There are no grammar schools in North Lincolnshire but there are in Lincolnshire - hence popularity of Louth and Castor.
I don't like Cleethorpes or Grimsby.

soundsg00d Wed 13-Jun-18 18:05:49

I cant believe anyone would recommend Hull as an alternative to North Lincolnshire ! It's the one place worse than Grimsby. (there's the Humber bridge toll to pay too... )
But yes , anywhere within an hour of Grimsby will be a culture shock after Surrey , but like everywhere there are poor people and rich people , shit areas and nice ones. Louth is nice and the villages round it. Even some of the villages close to Grimsby are perfectly nice to live in. (Check the school catchment areas carefully as Lincolnshire is selective , North East Lincs (Grimsby , Cleethorpes ) isn't - but the brightest kids might get into the Lincolnshire grammers even from there.

PurpleChai Wed 13-Jun-18 18:10:22

My DH is from N Lincs (grew up near the swear word town) and we briefly lived in Brigg for several years before moving away.

I would definitely echo PPs who say the market towns are much nicer to live in, Grimsby I would avoid. It’s interesting that no one has mentioned Immingham (avoid! Apologies to anyone who lives there but it is a complete shithole)

Mammysin Wed 13-Jun-18 18:10:31

Am in south Lincs and love it. Having said that I'm inching towards Cambridge 😬😁

NotARegularPenguin Wed 13-Jun-18 18:16:53

South Lincs is lovely but it’s hardly commutable to Grimsby, you’d be looking at 2hours from Grantham, even longer from places like Stamford.

Conkernudge Wed 13-Jun-18 18:17:02

Educating in a state school, so interesting what you’re saying about those. We’re not religious.

Was Brigg nice PurpleChai?

Where will I find an espresso martini?

BoneyBackJefferson Wed 13-Jun-18 18:27:40

The academy system for schools in Grimsby makes it dire,

NotARegularPenguin Wed 13-Jun-18 18:29:37

Lincoln will have espresso martinis.....I recommend the White Hart.

Can’t think of anywhere in Gainsborough where you’d get one but it’s not the sort of place I’d go for a night out. Ditto Horncastle and Louth.

PurpleChai Wed 13-Jun-18 18:45:47

Brigg is nice, has some areas to avoid but I think that’s the case with most places. It’s ideally placed to get to Lincoln and Hull in under an hour, and has some nice shops to go in. I can’t comment on schools as my DD wasn’t at primary age whilst we lived there but I’ve heard mixed reviews for both primary and secondary in the area.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: