Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Dd having squint surgery tomorrow

(15 Posts)
curiousgeorgie247 Wed 13-Jun-18 15:50:21

Posting here for traffic. Dd9 is due to have squint surgery tomorrow. Shes fine but i'm bricking it. She's having the side gaze dealt with in both eyes. Can anyone tell me of their experiences and what to expect on the day and during recovery. And also what I should take to the hospital.
Thanks

serendipitintea Wed 13-Jun-18 15:55:37

I had mine done 20 years ago so things have probably changed a bit! I was taken in on a ward, they put some 'magic' cream on my hand and put a needle in to put me to sleep. I can round and my eye was covered up. They wouldn't let me leave until I had ate though. I had cream and drops and remember the vision being blurry. I don't remember any pain afterwards. I wasn't in theatre for that long, I think it was more traumatic for my parents! I was 6.

serendipitintea Wed 13-Jun-18 15:56:22

To add, I was in and out the same day, I had pyjamas on all day. Also a new magazine and a balloon when I came round which went down well grin

Grasslands Wed 13-Jun-18 15:57:09

My husband had strabismus surgery as an adult. Pain free procedure, no dressing/patch after surgery. Used prescribed eye drops for a few days as recommended.
He was very pleased with the surgery as the one muscle was very tight and caused him double vision. However the stitch did not hold and the eye muscle issue continues.

twinkletoedelephant Wed 13-Jun-18 16:00:14

Ds had his done last year he is 9 ... All went really well huge playroom on kids ward was given some Lego, he took his switch in to play while he was waiting.

Porters taking him done to threatre were fab and wasn't in much pain after....even the drops that had to go in lots of times a day didn't sting.

Ds wants another operation as he enjoyed the day smile

speakfriendandenter Wed 13-Jun-18 16:16:13

Can't give any detail, but did t want to read & run. Hubby had this dine as a child. One eye, then the other a little while later. He barely remembers it, In fact I noticed the scars after we had been together for over a year (and only because I was gazing so adoringly at him haha!), and he had to ask his mum about them!
Our 3yo has a squint now, currently wearing glasses to see if they correct the squint or she needs further support.
Good luck to your DC, hope all goes well. smile

curiousgeorgie247 Wed 13-Jun-18 17:43:31

Thanks everyone. My dh had his done at 5. All he remembers is being bought a new toy fire engine afterwards! My mum had hers done at 32! But she only had one eye done and adults experience things like this differently.
I'm silently panicking. I couldn't ask what I wanted to at the appointment with the doctor yesterday as dd was there and I don't want her to know how I feel.
She's been on the waiting list to have this done for about 4 years. But now it's happening I am freaking out.

LollipopViolet Wed 13-Jun-18 18:10:43

I had it done at 14, now 28. I did find it painful after, but my pain threshold is quite low.

It takes about 40 minutes - I thought I was out for much longer, and apparently was asking mum if it was over while I was in recovery!

Do warn her that her eye will look odd for a while - blood makes the white bit red but it fades within a few days.

gnoomi Wed 13-Jun-18 18:19:02

My daughter had both eyes done when she was 5. She thinks having an operation is hospital is great! She was home after eating something (just after lunch), and was tired for several days afterwards (had the op on the Thursday and we kept her off on the Friday and Monday. She would have been fine on the Monday really, but we wanted to make sure). It's been extremely successful, and she said it was only a bit sore afterwards, nothing that calpol couldn't deal with.

BringOnTheScience Wed 13-Jun-18 18:23:33

DC1 had this done at 6. No issues at all on the day. I was allowed to be there while they were anaesthetised. Woke up very cross. Ate toast. Fell asleep again then woke up fine. Discharged with a bottle of Calpol.

mouse26 Wed 13-Jun-18 18:39:28

Ds2 had strabismus surgery when he was 5, the worst bit was waiting for him to be anesthetized. He was back on the ward within an hour. Woke up grumpy and convinced he was blind, until he opened his eyes 😀 we were at McDonald's an hour later. He had very little pain, although did occasionally have double vision for a week after.

curiousgeorgie247 Wed 13-Jun-18 20:51:17

Thanks. These posts are very reassuring. I will be re-reading them tomorrow when she's in! Eeek

BringOnTheScience Thu 14-Jun-18 08:21:46

Bhope all goes well today. 👀😀

speakfriendandenter Thu 14-Jun-18 14:38:35

Hope today is going well.

curiousgeorgie247 Fri 15-Jun-18 00:00:30

What a day! She hasn't been a happy bunny since waking up from the op. Eyes very red and itchy. But the surgery went really well. I'm hoping she will feel a bit better tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: