Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Plumbing emergency!!

(10 Posts)
MrsWembley Wed 13-Jun-18 15:22:17

Posting here for traffic.

So, I'm taking a radiator off, awkward position in downstairs loo, probably came with the house 30 years ago. Closed valves and managed to unscrew one end (v. difficult, v. stuck, but with no damage to pipes). Drained the water out, no problems no leaks. Thermostatic control end, my spanner knocked against the plastic cover and it started to crack. I quickly removed the spanner and went to push it back into place and it came off in my hand.

The whole thing.

It must have turned slightly as it came off as suddenly the water is back on and gushing out the other end!!!confusedshockshock Cue me shouting lots and struggling to see if I can manually stop it with the spanner but it's sheared off right on the level. Pulled up my big girl pants and got on with reattaching it at the other end, so it's okay for now...

But to replace the thermostatic control bit, do I need to drain the central heating or just turn off the water at the mains?

SuperLoudPoppingAction Wed 13-Jun-18 15:24:47

If you post in property @pigletjohn might see.

I don't think you need to drain the central heating but I'm not an expert.

Hope you have a g and t waiting for when you've sorted it out.

One of my radiators started pouring water out when I moved into this house. Bizarrely someone had left a valve off. Gave me such a fright!

WyldDucks Wed 13-Jun-18 15:30:25

It's a sealed system so the mains won't effect it... that's the sum total of my knowledge 😂

MrsWembley Wed 13-Jun-18 16:12:01

Thanks smile

So if I google sealed central heating system, that should help?

Vitalogy Wed 13-Jun-18 16:17:31

YouTube videos I find helpful too. Good luck.

MrsWembley Wed 13-Jun-18 16:28:17

Thank-you thank-you!

Googled sealed system and found the alternate - a vented system - which, from the description, is what we have, and that led me to how to drain it!

PigletJohn Wed 13-Jun-18 17:37:08

thermostatic radiator valves are made in two parts

a (usually chrome-plated brass) valve, with a pin sticking out of the top

and a thermostatic controller, might be white plastic but can be chromed or gold-plated or painted metal, which attaches to the valve, often with a screw-on collar

It sounds like you have broken the collar

If the collar is a component of the top part, you can replaced the top part entire.

It is sometimes possible to buy the thermostatic heads from the makers as spares, but it is usually cheaper to buy an entire TRV assembly of the same make and model and replace the top part.

Please state the make/name and other markings, and post photos.

PigletJohn Thu 14-Jun-18 15:01:01

to show what I mean, here's an example of a replacement head sold as a spare part

and of the complete assembled valve, as it's usually sold.

I think you can see the retaining ring in the pic.

Other brands will not be identical, but are somewhat similar.

They are normally supplied with a spare screw-down cap that can be used to turn the valve on and off if the thermostatic head is removed. They're called "decorators' caps" because plumbers think that decorators will break the heads, or spill paint on them, or perhaps steal them, so they often take the thermostatic heads off until other trades have finished. Householders usually lose these caps, or throw them away, at the first opportunity.

MrsWembley Fri 15-Jun-18 09:48:20

Piglet, you're a bloody marvel!

Having googled vented systems, I discovered that there are no outlets on any of the radiators to drain the system down! So some more googling I worked out that my best option is taking another radiator off and using that to empty everything! But if I can just replace the head than that's brilliant!

Photos supplied*.*..

MrsWembley Fri 15-Jun-18 11:03:15

A quick search on YouTube for replacing thermostatic controllers got me Derek (who taught me how to take the radiator off in the first place), which led me to the realisation that, temporarily, I could just take one off another radiator in order to turn the water off and...

Hey presto! Radiator removed!!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: