Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Ds had bloods taken for on going d&v... What are they testing?

(7 Posts)
mayaknew Wed 13-Jun-18 15:09:03

The peadiatrician said she's like a stool sample to test for calprotectin and helicobater and she took bloods to do a range of tests and the only one I can remember was coeliac. Does anyone know what the other tests would likely be?

He's been really poorly lately so I was just so glad it's finally being looked into I didn't retain all the information the doctor gave mesad

mayaknew Wed 13-Jun-18 19:02:39

She definitely said she was testing for other stuff because she said the coeliac test takes a while so that hold everything back.

Haggisfish Wed 13-Jun-18 19:04:38

Probably a full count to check iron and to look for inflammatory markers in case it is crohns or similar.

WombatStewForTea Wed 13-Jun-18 20:30:33

Calprotectin measures inflammation in the bowel. It's used to test my flair up levels (I have Crohns disease). Don't know if it's an indicator or anything else

FunkyHeroCat Wed 13-Jun-18 21:06:32

Helicobacter pylori is thought to be a common cause of stomach ulcers, although even if it's positive it's sometimes thought to just be a colonising organism (it's quite common).

It sounds like they're being very thorough and ruling out potential causes of gut problems. They'll probably also be doing a full blood count (FBC) to look for possible raised markers for infection or potential anaemia.

Not sure what the others would be - maybe urea and electrolytes, stool culture for various types of food borne infections, and a possibly a viral panel for things like rotavirus and norovirus?

BarryTheKestrel Wed 13-Jun-18 21:09:31

Coeliac often comes with a diagnosis of a multitude of deficiencies due to the non absorption of nutrients so it could be full blood work to test for deficiencies as well as a cause. I know when DH was diagnosed he was also folate and iron deficient which was found from his initial blood test. B

mayaknew Wed 13-Jun-18 21:52:41

Thanks so much for all the information. I really should have asked more questions but I was just so grateful that she was investigating and then panicked that my poor 5yo had to have bloods taken. But he was so brave I was so proud.

He's always had problems with his bowels he's either constipated or has loose stools which also includes spoiling. And the last 6m or so he's had really reflux vomiting episodes and stomach cramps/spasms?

After years of back and forth to GP I'm just so happy it's finally being investigated... but now I'm worryingly looking up all possibilities of what these tests are going to showsad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: