Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Anyone GF, Paleo or Low FODMAP who can come chat?

(15 Posts)
MrsJonesAndMe Wed 13-Jun-18 14:06:16

I'm currently reducing general carb intake as I have bloating (been checked for ovarian cancer) and upset stomach. Also have thyroid issues and have done a bit of reading - a lot American - that talks about the link between gluten and thyroid issues.

I'm mulling it all over, but wondered how you manage especially with a family....what do you eat, do you have separate prep area, how do you deal with eating out/real life etc etc.

Any ideas/tips/pointers or testimonials would be great.

SuperLoudPoppingAction Wed 13-Jun-18 15:43:11

Low fodmap due to diverticulitis in the family.
I posted elsewhere that miso (barley is my favourite) is a good stock if you can't have onion or garlic.

Leeks seem to be tolerated better for some reason.

I try to cook for everyone together as much as possible.

Corn tacos with various fillings means that we can all choose food we get on with.

Zadocthepriest Wed 13-Jun-18 16:37:03

Low fodmap here too. But just that, no serious allergies just unpleasant side effects, so no need for separate prep areas. In fact, other family members have benefited from avoiding the most seriously dodgy foods and no one has suffered. Gets a bit boring and samey but we can always add extras. When eating out, again we weigh up the benefits and disadvantages of keeping to a strict diet, and make a decision on the day.

MrsJonesAndMe Wed 13-Jun-18 17:44:38

Thank you both. Thing is, from what I can read is that contamination starts you back to square one. Seeing my GP in a few weeks so will ask her op ion on it all too.

anyone else?

midmidlifecrisis Wed 13-Jun-18 18:01:00

I'm GF and also DF. Bloat horrendously and have bad stomach when I veer off of the right path. Also put on weight like crazy. I lost nearly 3 stone from cutting it out, all within 3 months and I've maintained now for over a year with no effort! My stomach is flat for the first time in my life and I am so much more awake than before. All I remember is always feeling tired and groggy.

After a few weeks of label reading, I found it really easy to be fair. Warburtons gluten free is amazing and Tesco do some lovely free from bits. It's all trial and error to see what you do and don't like.

If we are having a family meal then we all eat the same (so GF/DF as my youngest DC is DF too). If I'm cooking just for the kids I cook them standard DF food. Eldest has his calcium elsewhere throughout the day.

I have a few separate utensils and always cook my food separately from everyone else's if I'm eating something different. Someone in my family is celiac though and cross contamination is much more serious for them. If you feel it may be gluten then have a celiac test before you stop eating it (as otherwise results won't be accurate and you will have to eat it again for 6 weeks for blood testing).

Best of luck.

turkeyboots Wed 13-Jun-18 18:09:38

Low Fodmap here. I saw a NHS trained but now private dietian to work it all through. I don't do full on allergic separate food prep, but simple ones like using separate bread board to avoid crumbs.

Ninabean17 Wed 13-Jun-18 18:26:51

Gf here, coeliac disease. In our house of 4 I'm the only one gf, but they'll all eat 'my' food if its something like a pasta bake/curry etc, otherwise I'll have the same as them just the gf version. There's so much available now, it's a lot easier than it used to be.

We have different toasters, on opposite sides of the kitchen. Use different utensils and chopping boards.

Things in the fridge and freezer are kept separately.

Our 2 girls are quit young so don't understand why I don't always eat what they eat, but generally in the outside world people are more and more understanding now.

Eating out is so much better than it used to be. As long as you're clear with the waiting staff about your needs, more often than not they'll have options for you. Don't let it scare you, you cant stay in forever!

I did have a moment a few weeks ago though, where I was asked "do you actually need gluten free or are you one of 'those' people?" I think my death stare set her straight.

Good luck, op. x

wrenika Wed 13-Jun-18 18:31:56

GF here - coeliac disease. Any gluten containing products in our kitchen are stored separately and cooked/prepped with seperate utensils. It's a nuisance cause it means duplicates of everything, but it's necessary to keep a safe coeliac suitable environment. I would say that if one person is eating gluten free in a household it is easier that everyone else does because it means less contamination risk and it makes it simpler as well. The only gluten in our kitchen is my DPs bread products and I don't begrudge him that cause GF bread is not great and if you don't need to avoid gluten I can see why you wouldn't want to eat it!
I minimise cross contamination by only eating food I prepare, or which is pre-packaged and safe to eat. I don't eat out at cafe's or restaurants, or friends homes.

Ihuntmonsters Wed 13-Jun-18 18:46:45

I'm on a low FODMAP diet and wheat is one of my triggers, but it's not the gluten that's the issue it's the olygosacharides (a fructan, so the F of FODMAP). Now I've done elimination and challenges I know I can eat one piece of bread or 60g of cooked pasta or two pieces of sourdough bread (the way sourdough is made leads to a lower fructan content). I can't eat rye bread as rye is higher in fructans and gives me bad stomach ache even in small amounts. I generally avoid gluten free products as many have other FODMAP ingredients (things like inulin). Contamination is not an issue for me at all.

At home my diet isn't an issue, I just substitute where required. Cutting wheat is one of the least disruptive of my intolerances, we eat much more rice now, I have porridge for breakfast and split my lunch sandwich into two with a three hour gap. There are lots of fruits and vegetables I can't eat but others that are fine. Going out the biggest issue by far is onions/garlic.

OP even going on low FODMAP is disruptive and cutting gluten entirely from your diet is challenging. Make sure it is necessary before going down this path and once you know the problem be clear with other people if you are allergic, coeliac or just wheat intolerant.

MrsJonesAndMe Wed 13-Jun-18 19:49:11

Thanks all

I will be discussing it all with my GP when I see her at the end of the month.

From what I understand in laymen's terms is that the gluten molecule looks like the thyroid ones, but because they're in your gut, your immune system attack them because they think they're in the wrong place hmm confused

All experiences, tips, recipes etc welcome!

MrsJonesAndMe Wed 13-Jun-18 21:20:09

Oh my goodness, yes the brain fog midlife zzzzzz

MrsJonesAndMe Thu 14-Jun-18 11:58:22

Bumping for the daytime crowd flowers

MrsJonesAndMe Thu 14-Jun-18 17:55:04

Davros Thu 14-Jun-18 18:05:53

I am on low fibre and FODMAP diet but not GF. I took advice from a private dietician, two sessions cost £200. Best money I ever spent. Due to surgery adhesions and stoma I was getting blockages and severe pain every 6 weeks or so. This went on for two years. Since seeing her I've been fine 🤞

MrsJonesAndMe Thu 14-Jun-18 22:20:27

Thanks Davros

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: