Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Oven cleaner

(32 Posts)
Kikisdeliveries Wed 13-Jun-18 14:01:39

If, hypothetically, you're a bit of a domestic scumbag and rarely clean your oven, but now there's no avoiding it, what would you use for what might be a significant amount of baked on ick. Ideally something that could be sprayed on, left then cleaned off, but that's not too fumey.

Asking for a friend, honest...

Nb, 'friend' has tried the old dishwasher tablet on the glass door and has not found it successful.

LMMontmomery Wed 13-Jun-18 14:02:40

I am also a domestic scumbag and paid £30 for a cleaner from fantastic cleaners to come clean mine - highly recommended!

tremendous Wed 13-Jun-18 14:03:51

The best thing I found was rock salt in cif. It literally wiped away.

twinnywinny14 Wed 13-Jun-18 14:04:40

I’m in the same position as your ‘friend’ and my oven is absolutely revolting but no idea best way forward!! Am also contemplating paying someone else to do it for me!!

Oliphantintheroom Wed 13-Jun-18 14:08:05

Oven pride - make sure your friend wears the gloves though as if it gets on their skin it burns! Little bit of work required to wipe it all off but it’s just wiping, no scrubbing

Kikisdeliveries Wed 13-Jun-18 14:09:02

Paying for someone else to do it is tempting but potentially traumatic to reveal the truth to a professional!

Kikisdeliveries Wed 13-Jun-18 14:10:27

oliphant Does it work on scumbag's ovens though? We're talking a good year or so of filth.

Kikisdeliveries Wed 13-Jun-18 14:11:15

Noted tremendous, thank you

tiredand44 Wed 13-Jun-18 14:13:09

I did mine at the weekend and used Oven Pride. It really works. I also used copious amounts of Brillo pads and some additional Cif oven cleaning spray, and it's come out really clean. And mine was really awful...

tiredand44 Wed 13-Jun-18 14:13:47

However getting someone in to do it is far better, and I'm sure they've seen a lot worse!

Stephisaur Wed 13-Jun-18 14:19:28

Domestic scumbag here uses ovens4u. Nice man comes around and cleans my oven. Tells me off every time for it being such a state 😂

Point out that if I knew how to clean it, he’d be out of a job ;) many laughs and he comes once or twice a year. Does hob and extractor too smile

Tenko Wed 13-Jun-18 14:26:47

How much do ovensforu charge?

Judashascomeintosomemoney Wed 13-Jun-18 14:29:40

OvenMate from Lakeland. Excellent stuff.

BarbaraofSevillle Wed 13-Jun-18 14:31:07

Paying for someone else to do it is tempting but potentially traumatic to reveal the truth to a professional!

It won't be the worst they have seen by a long shot. Ours had gone well over a year and I think we had to pay extra it was so bad. I have no shame though and I didn't even bat an eyelid when MIL turned up just as the oven cleaner was finishing up and loading all her tools into her van.

After that we got self cleaning ovens which are brilliant.

Idratherhaveacupoftea Wed 13-Jun-18 14:31:13

Agree the one from Lakeland is brilliant.

Poodles1980 Wed 13-Jun-18 14:56:58

Oven pride is your only man. It would take ten years of grime off an oven.

wendz86 Wed 13-Jun-18 14:59:10

Oven pride and leave it on over night.

Knittedfairies Wed 13-Jun-18 15:01:16

Thirding OvenMate from Lakeland - marvellous stuff.

ChickenOrEgg6 Wed 13-Jun-18 15:04:39

About 10 years ago I helped my mum clean an oven in a rented house (the tenant had lived there for four years and by the looks of it didn't clean it once)
We sprinkled bicarb on, worked it in a bit with a damp cloth. Left it for 2 hrs, sprayed on white vinegar, wiped off the solution.
Repeated twice (though only waiting 1hr rather than 2 between wiping off) and it was like new.
smile

ChickenOrEgg6 Wed 13-Jun-18 15:05:01

There was no scrubbing, btw. Just wiping down.

twinnywinny14 Wed 13-Jun-18 15:05:35

A friend (it actually was a friend!) got someone in to clean her oven and she lied to him that she had just moved in and it was left like that 😂 she was too embarrassed to tell them that she hadn’t been bothered to clean it for years! X

Octopeppa Wed 13-Jun-18 15:05:39

I like the sound of rock salt and Cif. Is dishwasher salt the same as rock salt?

frugalforager Wed 13-Jun-18 15:06:33

My mother had someone come and clean her oven. It took him 4 hours and he said it was the worst one he's ever seen in 7 years. I think she was actually a bit proud of that.

Strugglingtodomybest Wed 13-Jun-18 15:06:48

I cleaned my oven for the first time in 3 years the other week. I had to as it didn't seem to be working properly anymore!

I used Ovenpride and left it all night and most of the next day. It did a great job, but still isn't spotless, so I'm going to give it another go with a second bottle.

Kikisdeliveries Wed 13-Jun-18 15:22:54

Oven mate or oven pride then!

I've tried the old bicarbonate and vinegar as I do prefer to be green about it but it really seemed underwhelming to me, maybe I'm not doing it right.

I do need it to be a one shot solution or it won't happen! I know my limits.

Yes I admit it, I am the domestic slob, not my 'friend'.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: