Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

LGBTQ+

(48 Posts)
Hippobottymus Wed 13-Jun-18 13:03:36

Is your work doing anything to celebrate? Just curiosity really.

SporkInTheToaster Wed 13-Jun-18 13:05:53

Celebrate what? Sorry if i’m being dim.

SporkInTheToaster Wed 13-Jun-18 13:12:21

(the answer must be ‘no’, given that I don’t what’s being celebrated)

Grug Wed 13-Jun-18 13:13:26

Celebrating? Why celebrate?

screepy Wed 13-Jun-18 13:14:16

I'm a postgrad in a university. Most people here are too scared to discuss LGBTQ+ issues for fear of being sacked/ expelled. sadangry

DoryNow Wed 13-Jun-18 13:22:47

Living your life openly & honestly is the best celebration surely?

Or are you referring to Pride Events?

Wellthisunexpected Wed 13-Jun-18 13:25:26

Celebrate what?

CaoNiMa Wed 13-Jun-18 13:33:02

To be honest, there doesn't seem to be a great deal to celebrate, with lesbian rights taking a significant downturn recently. Pride in lesbian identity being trampled? In being told to accept dick? Nah.

Buxtonstill Wed 13-Jun-18 13:35:58

I don't think you will find many, unless in the centre of London, where I am, when businesses put a rainbow flag outside the premises in order to try and attract extra business.

The same as most companies won't have a disability awareness day, or a day for short/fat/thin people day.

MissionItsPossible Wed 13-Jun-18 14:11:56

I'm part of LGB (refuse to include T, Q and all the other letters) and have no idea what you're talking about.

Hippobottymus Wed 13-Jun-18 15:48:54

Whoops, I got distracted after starting my post and skipped out the main bit blush

I meant for pride month. I'm doing lots of small, mon intrusive but inclusive events in my workplace and I'm really looking forward to it.

I don't think this is really the right thread to bash any member of the LGBTQ+ community, regardless of personal opinion this event is about being inclusive is it not? About celebrating how far we've come and realising how far we have to go.

Phosphorus Wed 13-Jun-18 15:53:17

We?

You approve of the Trans agenda?

LRDtheFeministDragon Wed 13-Jun-18 16:15:26

My workplace is doing lots of events, though I'm a bit out of it. I think universities usually do - I've driven past pride flags at several big city campuses. Surprised this is not the case for screepy. I'm not an idiot and I know discussing trans issues can be a right can of worms, but I think in general universities are pretty easy places to discuss LGBT History Month in general, right? I find it hard to imagine many universities aren't making at least some tiny token gesture towards discussing it, because there will be courses or elements of courses on the subject.

Buxtonstill Wed 13-Jun-18 16:35:33

A lot of gay men and lesbians may not want to 'celebrate' their sexuality and just want to get on with their lives. Unless it is something that is suggested and driven by someone who is gay, then it comes across as a tad patronising and vicarious that anyone of particular sexuality wants to take part in any organised events.

screepy Wed 13-Jun-18 16:37:25

@Buxtonstill

The undergrads are usually he ones that organize stuff like that.

Either way, certain events have well and truly peaked transed my department, which has put a downer on any potential celebrations. It wouldn't be worth the hassle. sad

LRDtheFeministDragon Wed 13-Jun-18 16:45:02

buxton, I'm fairly sure LGBT History Month was organised and set up by gay people? confused

I don't know if I'm being dim, but this thread surprises me - there have been pride events in most cities in the UK for years and years, haven't there? I wouldn't expect anyone to pay the special attention, any more than you might notice the city centre being closed for the annual marathon or cycle race, but it seems odd that people don't even seem to notice they happen.

werideatdawn Wed 13-Jun-18 17:08:27

No. Can't see myself celebrating anything to do with the trans movement at the moment.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Wed 13-Jun-18 17:13:20

Nope, I don't need a hat and a balloon for being gay.

Grug Wed 13-Jun-18 17:28:58

troll😂😂 🎈

I don’t understand this celebration of what you are. Im straight and dont celebrate.

LRDtheFeministDragon Wed 13-Jun-18 17:35:02

Do you really not understand, grug?

Of course some people don't feel the need. I don't. But others probably do, because they've grown up being made to feel it's something to be ashamed of. Doubt you were made to feel ashamed of being straight.

BlazeAway Wed 13-Jun-18 17:39:40

I haven't seen anything here. I think the History Month was a big thing here, and most of the organising committee don't want to do another big event quite soon afterwards!

Scorching Wed 13-Jun-18 18:37:32

I will be going to pride at the weekend.

I don’t understand this celebration of what you are. Im straight and dont celebrate.

Absolutely not comparable.

ERipley Wed 13-Jun-18 18:44:34

*I don’t understand this celebration of what you are. Im straight and dont celebrate.

Absolutely not comparable.*

Why?

Scorching Wed 13-Jun-18 18:50:15

Because straight people have never been persecuted for being straight. Been shouted at in the street, been expected/ conditioned to follow society norms etc etc

Hippobottymus Wed 13-Jun-18 18:53:08

I actually regret starting this thread. Im so disappointed in the level of hostility towards what should be something positive.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: