Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What does light refreshments mean to you?

(20 Posts)
livvymc Wed 13-Jun-18 12:28:35

Dp and I are off to stay in a spa hotel today. According to the website, when we arrive at the spa, there will be light refreshments. What does this mean to you? Dp thinks we won't need lunch as it'll be sandwiches, cakes etc. I think it'll be more like tea and biscuits. Any thoughts? Don't want to ring the hotel or anything as it really doesn't matter, just a conversation we're having.

GreatDuckCookery Wed 13-Jun-18 12:30:32

Hmm not sure. Whenever I've been to a spa it's said "light lunch" which meant sandwiches/cake and tea or coffee etc.

Maybe ring and ask?

GreatDuckCookery Wed 13-Jun-18 12:31:08

Sorry missed that you don't want to ring 🙈

PlateOfBiscuits Wed 13-Jun-18 12:33:01

Are there reviews which mention the light refrements? I hope for a glass of prosecco and a slice of cake grin

MrsJayy Wed 13-Jun-18 12:33:06

I think it will be miniscule canapes and maybe some veg sticks and fruit I don't think it will be a light lunch.

user1471459936 Wed 13-Jun-18 12:33:32

To me it means a very small amount of food. Nibbles rather than slices! So maybe a soft drink and some nuts / olives / crisps. It wouldn't be enough for me for lunch!

MrsJayy Wed 13-Jun-18 12:34:39

Email and ask say you have some intolerances

ProustianMadeleine Wed 13-Jun-18 12:34:55

Tea, coffee, water, juices and a light snack, possibly fruit pieces, crackers and cheese maybe, crisps and dips, that sort if thing.

anotherangel2 Wed 13-Jun-18 12:36:51

A small slice of cake or a few crisps and bits.

Have to googled reviews of the spa to see if they mention it.

Balloondog Wed 13-Jun-18 12:39:23

Honestly, I'd plan to eat lunch before or after as at a spa I wouldn't expect anything more than some cucumber water and some fruit or crudités.

DuchyDuke Wed 13-Jun-18 12:39:31

Depends on what you’ve paid. At the Mandarin I got wine, an array of cold salads, pastries, cakes, teas, and coffees.

BarbaraofSevillle Wed 13-Jun-18 12:43:33

Maybe fruit, biscuits, pastries at a spa hotel. it's a tough one. You don't want to eat beforehand and miss out if there's plenty of it and it's really nice, but you don't want to go in anticipation of something filling, only to find a bit of fruit and a few biscuits.

But I find the phrases 'light refreshments' or 'light lunch' really weird because it invariably means crisps, cake, biscuits, sandwiches, sausage rolls etc so really carby, sugary and fatty and about as far away from 'light' as you can get so really easy to eat lots of calories without being particularly full.

Viola82 Wed 13-Jun-18 12:47:07

I'm afraid it's going
to be something like welcome drink/water and some fruits, sweets
Definitely get some lunch!

MrsJayy Wed 13-Jun-18 12:47:28

I am going to a thing in July where there is a light buffet I am baffled as it runs over dinner time so do I have a big lunch it is such a dillema grin

HeadsDownThumbsUpEveryone Wed 13-Jun-18 12:54:30

Sorry but I agree with you there's no way it will be enough to get away with not eating lunch. It is likely to be some fruit, biscuits or crackers, those types of food. If they served a lunch they would advertise it as lunch as that sounds much better value than serving light nibbles.

Katedotness1963 Wed 13-Jun-18 13:14:32

I would expect fruit, veggie sticks, cheese, crackers, maybe bread sticks.

livvymc Thu 14-Jun-18 11:56:19

It was tea, coffee, water or juice! No food at all. Luckily we did have lunch beforehand! smile

MrsJayy Thu 14-Jun-18 11:59:57

Pfft no food not even a biscuit shock

KurriKurri Thu 14-Jun-18 12:55:49

I'd think of light refreshments as tea/coffee and biscuits. surprised they didn't even provide you with a biscuit - how stingy !

pinkmagic1 Thu 14-Jun-18 13:01:18

I would assume light refreshments to mean a drink and biscuits or canapes, definitely not enough for lunch, but some sort of food involved.

What you received was a welcome drink.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: