Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Small tin condensed milk?

(9 Posts)
soloula Wed 13-Jun-18 11:52:41

Got an old recipe and it calls for a small tin of condensed milk. Is it just a standard 397g tin or should I half it or something? I have a recollection of my mum having smaller tins way back when but not sure if I'm getting confused with evaporated milk.

Chocaholic21 Wed 13-Jun-18 12:22:19

A small tin was 218g.

Chocaholic21 Wed 13-Jun-18 12:23:25

No, not getting it confused with evaporated! I have a recipe which calls for small tin and write the size down when they were difficult to get.

FourFriedChickensDryWhiteToast Wed 13-Jun-18 12:24:51

you might find one in Morrisons

BarbaraofSevillle Wed 13-Jun-18 12:50:16

I've never seen anything bigger than 397 g, which leads me to suspect that a small tin may not longer be available.

If so, buy a standard tin and make twice as much or make the normal size recipe and eat the rest of the condensed milk with a spoon or use it in coffee if you like sweet coffee. Or it freezes OK, so just use half now, freeze the rest and use the rest later.

soloula Wed 13-Jun-18 14:42:39

Thanks all. Glad I wasn't imagining things. I just doubled up the recipe as it's far too dangerous (tempting) for me to have a tub of extra condensed milk hanging around in the fridge.

HildaZelda Wed 13-Jun-18 14:59:34

AFAIK 397g is standard size. I'd probably have eaten the other half with a spoon though! grin

Flicketyflack Wed 13-Jun-18 15:04:14

MIL says they still sell small tins in Scotland (she makes fab millionaires shortbread ).

Only big tins here in SE wink

BalloonFlowers Wed 13-Jun-18 15:12:12

Yep, it's half a normal tin to be a small tin.

If you decant the remains into a small glass jar, it keeps in the fridge for a few weeks (whilst I stick a spoon in every couple of days to eat cold condensed milk).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: