Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Odd phone call

(63 Posts)
Itscurtainsforyou Wed 13-Jun-18 11:40:06

I've just had a phone call from a woman saying she had two missed calls from me.

Except I've not called her. No record of her on my phone. No one else has access to my phone.

Is this a scam (not sure how tbh)? Does this mean my phone has been cloned? If so, what should I do?

janinlondon Wed 13-Jun-18 11:47:47

Look on your phone and see if calls have been made? My phone calls people from my bag. And its an iphone that requires a fingerprint to open it.....

TheBigFatMermaid Wed 13-Jun-18 12:06:39

She has already done that.

Cloned is the only thing I can think of.

FishFingerInjury Wed 13-Jun-18 12:17:17

Has she found your number on someone else’s phone and wanted see who answered. The missed call ruse might be made up.

Itscurtainsforyou Wed 13-Jun-18 12:18:35

I've just had another! This time a man...

Itscurtainsforyou Wed 13-Jun-18 12:20:14

What can I do if my number has been cloned? I don't really want to change it, I've had it for years.

Reaa Wed 13-Jun-18 12:20:17

Call your network provider and ask them if they can see anything from there end.

Reaa Wed 13-Jun-18 12:20:38

Their

SheilaTurnip Wed 13-Jun-18 12:21:38

Weird !

Bexter801 Wed 13-Jun-18 12:23:06

Could it be somebody's sad idea of a joke?

LanguidLobster Wed 13-Jun-18 12:23:20

That is bizarre, definitely speak to your network

RebootYourEngine Wed 13-Jun-18 12:23:40

I second contacting your network provider. Do they leave a number when phoning, have you googled that number.

MaggieFS Wed 13-Jun-18 12:24:34

No idea, but be careful it's not trying to trick you into calling back a high cost number.

MissionItsPossible Wed 13-Jun-18 12:26:20

Unless you have physically given your phone to someone and they messed around with the SIM card I doubt your number has been cloned. Are they calling you from withheld numbers? If not, google the numbers. I think it's a scam.

Itscurtainsforyou Wed 13-Jun-18 12:52:04

I've looked up both numbers. Nothing. In fact they were pretty off when I insisted I'd not called them in the first place. I've not called their numbers back. They both sounded like normal/posh people.

I've called my provider who told me to call the police hmm. I've called the police who've told me to call actionfraud. I'm now in a queue.

Nicknacky Wed 13-Jun-18 13:16:48

You phoned the police for this?! Just because your provider suggested it doesn't mean you do it.

GreatDuckCookery Wed 13-Jun-18 13:23:53

What do you suggest then NickyNacky? If the provider suggests the police then I would think that means it's pretty serious.

Itscurtainsforyou Wed 13-Jun-18 13:24:14

I phoned 101, apologised if I was wasting their time, told them I'd been advised to phone them and asked their advice. They gave me details of actionfraud who I could report it to.

My service provider refused to progress it any further until I'd spoken to the police. I'm not sure what else I was expected to do.

GreatDuckCookery Wed 13-Jun-18 13:24:31

Sorry Nicknacky

Scrumptiousbears Wed 13-Jun-18 13:27:24

Chances are it is some sort of fraud/scam and the offenders have randomly picked your number to appear on the caller ID of potential victims.

Nicknacky Wed 13-Jun-18 13:28:25

I think I would have quickly forgotten about it and not given it another thought. What do people expect the police to do?!

Get back onto the service provider if it's worrying you that much but it's not s police matter as it stands. It could be a crossed line, they wrote the number wrong or just one of life's strange things that we never get to the bottom of.

Itscurtainsforyou Wed 13-Jun-18 13:28:51

Yes that's what I'm thinking. Not sure what (if anything) can be done about it if so.

Nicknacky Wed 13-Jun-18 13:29:36

The police will do zilch as you have found out.

Scrumptiousbears Wed 13-Jun-18 13:30:46

You have two options. Put up with it or change your number. No one, not even the police can do anything.

Itscurtainsforyou Wed 13-Jun-18 13:32:21

Nicknacky - I've already explained that the service provider won't take it forward until I've spoken to the police.
I'm unhappy about having random calls and more so if someone is using my number for a scam and if there is anything that can be done about it, I'd like to find out.

Just because you'd have forgotten about it, doesn't make it wrong for me to take it further by following instructions.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: