Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Is there anyone on here that works in the asbestos industry?

(11 Posts)
Meresoeurfille Wed 13-Jun-18 11:07:02

Just after some info as wondering how fail safe asbestos removal is. Went somewhere recently where they had just had it removed. All done properly with a company and certificate of reoccupation released etc. It was asbestos insulation board. Does the fact that it was done properly by a company mean there is definitely no danger and no chance of fibres hanging around in little pockets etc? Hoping there's no scope for error. Thanks

Meresoeurfille Thu 14-Jun-18 09:59:52

Bump

CurrentCurrant Thu 14-Jun-18 10:06:54

They have to do in schools a lot, I’ve worked in loads during work. The area is sealed off totally with plastic surrounding it, it’s very thorough

GinGeum Thu 14-Jun-18 10:15:56

I hate to say it, but we had experience with a rogue asbestos removal company a few years back. They seemed legit with certificates etc. We didn’t realise for around a month or so after removal, when we found a small bit left behind (that had been disturbed). We then got another company in who were very very thorough indeed.

Meresoeurfille Thu 14-Jun-18 10:44:05

No rogue company used. A legit one.

GinGeum Thu 14-Jun-18 10:54:10

Then I’m sure it’s fine. We thought the first company we used was legit though.

Meresoeurfille Thu 14-Jun-18 10:59:20

What made you think they were legit? Did you check they were members of all the relevant regulating bodies and that the are would be signed off by and independent analyst?

GinGeum Thu 14-Jun-18 11:19:03

Yes. They have now been prosecuted against as they carried out similar work on public buildings as well, so it wasn’t just us finding a crappy company IYSWIM. They appeared legit and had all the necessary licenses etc, they just didn’t follow protocol on the jobs themselves. I’m sure this isn’t common though.

Meresoeurfille Thu 14-Jun-18 11:40:40

No I'm fairly sure it's not as is massively regulated

Meresoeurfille Thu 14-Jun-18 13:07:52

What did you have remove @GinGeum? Was it a full on enclosure job?

GinGeum Thu 14-Jun-18 14:20:33

Yes, it was a very large, old house. We had to move out both times.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: