Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Normal insect bite (with pics)?

(11 Posts)
Slightlyjaded Wed 13-Jun-18 10:36:00

Walked the dog yesterday in our local woods and felt itchy as I was walking. Had long cotton harem type trousers on and a tshirt.

I have a huge itchy/warm bite in my forearm and another in my thigh confused

I don’t think tick as not really a bullseye - but maybe?

Not desperately worried, but I am curious. I’ve had billions of mosquito bites in my life (in far more exiotic places than UK) but nothing like the size of these...

Any ideas?

Lifeaback Wed 13-Jun-18 10:41:16

I Agree that they don’t look like tick bites, each time you are bitten your body responds in a different way (depending on the levels of lymphocytes produced) so it’s most probably just a midge/mosquito bite but your body has responded differently to how it has in the past

counterpoint Wed 13-Jun-18 10:47:47

That looks like the way I react to a horsefly bite. The blighters have bitten me through leggings before. If it gets much worse than that over the next few days, you may need an antibiotic as one of my bites did once. Back of knee ballooned so that I couldn't bend my leg.
Sudocrem helps a bit.

user1471501171 Wed 13-Jun-18 10:56:31

Mark the perimeter of the redness so you can tell easily if is getting worse.
The bite on your arm looks nasty. Might be an idea to put some savalon/bepanthen cream on it. Antihistamines, tablet or syrup in preference to cream works well for me too.
I wouldn't rule out a trip to the GP either if it gets any worse.

user1471501171 Wed 13-Jun-18 10:58:06

Just remembering I used funding cream on a bite before and it worked well. Can't remember if you need a prescription for it though.

Slightlyjaded Wed 13-Jun-18 11:03:47

Have slapped some antihistamine cream on and will tip off with an antiseptic to be in the safe side.

It’s not worrying me that much but I will keep an eye on it. The one on my arm is pretty ginormous.

MrsPMT Wed 13-Jun-18 11:06:04

I'd assume horsefly too, they can be horrendous. My DMum got an infected one, swollen, hot, much redder than yours and needed antibiotics so if it gets worse see a GP.

FaithEverPresent Wed 13-Jun-18 12:26:20

I agree with a ring around it to monitor the size. I’d take an over the counter antihistamine too to reduce the reaction. Get it seen if it gets worse - grows, becomes itchier or the skin in that area swells a lot.

user1471501171 Wed 13-Jun-18 12:34:59

That should be fuicidin cream not funding

susurration Wed 13-Jun-18 12:56:49

Looks like it could be a horsefly bite. I react like that and then the bite area comes up in watery blisters, but I do have an unusually high reaction to horsefly bites.

I normally take an oral anti-histamine, then put on a combination of germalene and h45 cream, followed by an ice pack to take the heat out of it.

I was bitten to bits by horseflies at the weekend and even got one on the palm of my hand!

Grug Wed 13-Jun-18 13:14:51

Horsefly. Took my DC to the GP on Monday for antibiotics. Get down there.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: