Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Day out in centre of BATH with DOGS- Help!

(10 Posts)
NoonarAgain Wed 13-Jun-18 10:01:42

We are staying in a cottage for the weekend and mostly the activities we are planning will suit the whole family- including teenage dds and two well behaved dogs. However, an afternoon shopping with lunch in Bath is on the agenda and we need to try to plan an itinerary.
Ideally, we would find somewhere central where dh and I can take turns to shop and walk/ hang out with the dogs- or even tourist attractions that allow dogs while the dds shop. And again, somewhere central and dog friendly to have lunch together.

Any suggestions, please? Once we are in Bath, we don't want to use the car again until the end of the day. TIA smile

MarkleAndSpencer Wed 13-Jun-18 10:06:31

Bath is extremely dog friendly, particularly away from the main chain store parts. I often take my dog for a mooch round the independent shops on Broad St and Milsom Street etc. Boston Tea Party (particularly the bigger one on Alfred St) is dog- and child- friendly and the food is great. Not too sure about activities ans attractions I'm afraid - maybe a nice walk in Victoria Park?

NoonarAgain Wed 13-Jun-18 10:33:12

Thanks Markle! That's great to know. Can you get to the canal easily?

Theresahairbrushinthefridge Wed 13-Jun-18 10:43:19

Definitely Victoria Park. Park at Charlotte Street Car Park.

Member Wed 13-Jun-18 10:47:07

I don’t have a dog but know Bath reasonably well.

Sydney Gardens is central green space with access to canal towpath & dogs allowed.

There is Victoria Park which is a large more formal Park.

Behind a lot of the shops on the main drag and nr Jane Austen’s house is Queen Square; it’s not huge or wildly picturesque but it’s grassy with benches and possibly a reasonable spot for dog sitting swap overs

Saladd0dger Wed 13-Jun-18 11:01:51

Victoria Park definitely. It’s lovely

Viewofhedges Wed 13-Jun-18 11:53:52

There's a lovely cafe - Wild on queen st that in my opinion is the best in Bath, which allows well behaved dogs to sit under tables. I don't have a dog (sniff) but I've seen dogs in there before.

Runsandreads Wed 13-Jun-18 13:57:08

You can access the canal from Sydney Gardens (end of Great Pulteney Street). A couple of miles along (towards Bradford-on-Avon) there is a nice little garden area and a pub (The George Inn) and a canal boat cafe. I'm not sure if they allow dogs inside but there's outdoor seating at both.

Runsandreads Wed 13-Jun-18 14:01:52

Btw there's a boules tournament in Queen Square this coming weekend so it may well be packed (and therefore not a great doggy changeover stop).

NoonarAgain Wed 13-Jun-18 15:35:49

wow, thanks so much to all of you for this- so good to get a bit of local knowledge. I love the idea of the canal side walk and the café smile

Saturday is forecast rain, so that may put a damper on things, quite literally! Can I ask what Sunday shopping is like is Bath, in case it makes more sense to go in on Sunday? Don't fancy hanging round with wet dogs who hate the rain!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: