Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

I know IABU, but I need a hand-hold and positive stories!

(6 Posts)
critiqueofeveryday Wed 13-Jun-18 08:31:25

NC for this.

I used to have a great job, but I had to give it up when I became physically unwell. I needed 3 rounds of surgery to get better, which took a couple of years, and I went freelance to give me some flexibility while I recovered.

I recently applied for a job - this is the first time I've done this in years and it took a lot of confidence just to do it. I've just heard I haven't even been short-listed.

Here's the part where I am definitely being unreasonable. I kind of expected to be shortlisted. The salary is quite a big step down from what I was doing previously and I exceed the job spec for the position by quite a way in terms of qualifications and years of experience. I wrote a careful covering letter explaining how I met all their requirements, and giving an enthusiastic account of why I wanted to do this particular work. (I really did fancy the job!)

I am feeling utterly deflated. I know this is entitled and unreasonable. I realise they probably had someone way better than me apply, and I am sure the decision is fair and right. I have no complaints about the process!

I think I'm a bit depressed at the moment, for a variety of reasons. I am seeing a counsellor. I just feel a bit sad and despairing about my ability to get away from precarious freelance/short term contract work and back into something waged. It feels like nothing I've done is really worth anything to anyone, that I am somehow completely unmarketable. I know I'm overreacting and being silly, and I need to pick myself up, dust myself down, and move on.

BeginningToWobble Wed 13-Jun-18 08:35:31

I exceed the job spec for the position by quite a way in terms of qualifications and years of experience.

This is why. They're worried you'd be bored and want to move on quickly and you'd be too expensive for them.

critiqueofeveryday Wed 13-Jun-18 08:37:45

Sorry, I should have explained more - the position is relatively short term, to December 2019. So I don't think they would be worried about me moving on.

Sadly, I think the reason I wasn't shortlisted has more to do with my not being seen as a good candidate.

Atalune Wed 13-Jun-18 08:38:17

Yep, as above. Sorry you didn’t get it. Sometimes there is a number you can call to talk to the company as part of the recruitment process? I would have done that and explained my circumstances for wanting the job.

However, you have it your best shot, look out for the next one. Maybe call them and say if none of the other candidates are successfull you are still interested.

critiqueofeveryday Wed 13-Jun-18 08:42:18

Atalune - That's a really good and helpful suggestion. In future, I'll make sure I call up and have a conversation with the person who is hiring.

I guess it's normal to feel really low after a rejection, right? I just have to let it out, and move on.

Foxyloxy1plus1 Wed 13-Jun-18 08:48:58

Of course it’s normal to feel fed up if you haven’t been shortlisted. Use it, if you can, to think about how you can make future applications stand out, so you get interviews.

If you haven’t interviewed for a while, maybe your application doesn’t do you justice, maybe you didn’t sell yourself as well as you could have. Can you get some advice on how to present yourself in an application, so the company can see how you would fit there?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: