Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Any Opticians about?

(27 Posts)
WaxOnFeckOff Tue 12-Jun-18 22:30:11

DS (nearly 18) has a strong prescription (-9), astigmatism, dry eyes as a result of taking roaccutane but is fed up always wearing glasses which he has done since he was 6. He was fitted for contact lenses (monthly soft) and got to use them for about a month before taking the roaccutane meant they weren't comfortable. He's been off the medication since Christmas (and the spots are coming back sad but that's another story), he tried the ones he'd been prescribed and found them uncomfortable now because his eyes are dry. he's tried 3 more types from the opticians (Specsavers) but still no good and I'm sure she said that the ones today were the best they could offer. Dailies wouldn't give him good enough vision they've said. He's also currently on long term antibiotics but not sure that would have any effect?

Is that him exhausted all other options and now left with only glasses?

imsorryiasked Tue 12-Jun-18 22:42:43

I'd get a second opinion from another optician to see if they can recommend a different brand?

tinyradish Tue 12-Jun-18 22:45:51

Has he tried daily eye drops to combat the dry eyes? I couldn't be without mine! (Hycosan.)

WaxOnFeckOff Tue 12-Jun-18 22:47:04

Yes, that's what I was thinking but didn't know if we were just wasting time and giving him hope unnecessarily.

Passthecake30 Tue 12-Jun-18 22:48:41

Not an optician but I had really dry eyes so could only wear contacts for a couple of hours a month (optician threatened that I'd get an ulcer etc).
I ended up having lens replacement surgery for cataracts, would he consider something more permanent?

WaxOnFeckOff Tue 12-Jun-18 22:49:15

tiny no, they didn't say anything about eye drops. he says his eyes are red and sore when he takes them out and tried to show me but when he came down, his eyes looked fine confused. He spends a lot of time on a computer and that isn't likely to change as he's about to start Uni doing computing... I told him being on a PC can dry your eyes too.

LoniceraJaponica Tue 12-Jun-18 22:52:16

I would be worried about trusting my eyes with an optician who won't recommend eye drops. DD has very dry eyes and our optician told her that contsct lenses were out of the question. She uses Hycosan as well.

WaxOnFeckOff Tue 12-Jun-18 22:53:01

Pass, I think he'd consider anything, we are desperately trying to avoid going back on the roaccutane too as clearly that has caused the issue (and it's thinned his hair but i'm hoping he hasn't really noticed that).

Can I ask how much that cost? We are currently looking at a bill for approx £6k for plastic surgery for DS2 for his acne scarring so our modest uni fund that we'd saved up is rapidly disappearing sad

WaxOnFeckOff Tue 12-Jun-18 22:57:23

Thank you, I'll look into the eye drops.

I go to an independent optician which we all used to go to but it got really expensive for glasses as they only seemed to stock expensive frames (I wear varifocal contacts so not really an issue for me) and DS2 kept losing his glasses so it was better to get the specsavers deal where he got an extra pair. I think I'll take DS1 back to the independent.

However, I've just spent nearly £600 for both DSs for new glasses and prescription sunglasses plus swimming goggles for DS1. DS1 needs his lenses thinned too. How much more expensive could the independent be?!!

Ivyleagueunderthesea Tue 12-Jun-18 22:59:28

Ex optical assistant and contact lens wearer with a -9 prescription.

Daily lenses will give him good enough vision, you can get them up to -14 I think.
Accuvue oasis are very good and a two weekly lens.
Go to a different optician.

WaxOnFeckOff Tue 12-Jun-18 23:03:54

Ivy - I presumed it was becasue of the astigmatism combined with the strong prescription that was the problem as I see that you can get dailies that strong. But yes, I think a different optician.

Those that use Hycosan, which one is it that you use?

WaxOnFeckOff Tue 12-Jun-18 23:07:38

If it helps, his prescription is:

R
-9.00, Cyl 1.25, Axis 103
L
-8.25, Cyl 0.75, Axis 055

tinyradish Tue 12-Jun-18 23:10:07

Hycosan in the red box - you can buy it in boots smile think maybe give that a try first, then give the current lenses another go. Don't wear for a full day to start but build up time of wear & have a day or 2 a week break. If still no good, try another opticians who can recommend different lenses.

LordNibbler Tue 12-Jun-18 23:12:51

Hycosan extra is the one I recommend also an ointment for night time. I use Vitapos. Dry eyes can be very serious, I've ended up in A&E several times, so he definitely needs to be taking a lot more care of his eyes. Especially with using a screen so much.

WaxOnFeckOff Tue 12-Jun-18 23:13:33

Optician told him to give these ones a try and go back next week, but he had them in from 5ish until 9ish and said his eyes were dry and sore so just wanted to let optician know tomorrow. I think it may be worth trying some drops and giving them another go.

I suspect he's gutted as it's his prom on Thursday and so wanted to not be wearing his glasses for once.

WaxOnFeckOff Tue 12-Jun-18 23:17:18

He doesn't complain about his eyes being dry when wearing his glasses as presumably they act as a shield from the heat etc coming from them (he uses 3 screens!) it's not helping that he is now finished school so is spending more time on screen than normal. However as I say he will be starting Uni and doing computing so a screen will be unavoidable.

He has up to date glasses and sunglasses so apart from eye drops which I really didn't think of blush, I'm not sure what else he should be doing.

LordNibbler Tue 12-Jun-18 23:19:24

As mentioned previously the Oasis lenses would be a good choice for him. I wear lenses too occasionally. I use a contact lens solution that offer more moisturising to lenses, also use the drops every hour. This makes the lenses a lot more comfortable.

WaxOnFeckOff Tue 12-Jun-18 23:22:23

Thanks Lord and everyone else, you've been really helpful.

I'm just ordering some drops from Amazon Hycosan extra (red box) and the Hycosan night which it says is equivalent to Vita Pos and is available on prime.

WaxOnFeckOff Tue 12-Jun-18 23:24:52

I don't actually know what lenses he's been given as they are just in a plain case and he didn't notice what the little packages said.

LtheWife Tue 12-Jun-18 23:26:37

Definitely contact lens friendly eye drops and another optician. There are plenty of daily disposable toric lenses in a -9. If he’s spending lots of time in front of computers then suggest he looks into eye break reminder apps too. Most of them are based around the 20-20-20 rule, so every 20 minutes spend 20 seconds focusing on something 20 feet away.

It would also be a good idea to do blinking exercises at the same time as blink rate is reduced when focusing on a screen which can contribute to dry eyes. Something along the lines of close eyes for a count of two before opening, then close again for a count of two, squeeze closed a bit more before opening and relaxing.

I can’t remember what is was called, but I came across a piece of software a few years ago that was supposed to trigger blinking. It basically displayed an eye in a small window that would regularly blink, the theory being that it would make you blink more frequently too. If your DS can’t find the software he might be able to code something himself.

SimonBridges Tue 12-Jun-18 23:29:30

It’s not the heat coming off the screens that causes the problem it’s that people don’t blink enough when they are looking at a screen, it’s the same when driving.

WaxOnFeckOff Tue 12-Jun-18 23:31:12

Thank you for that LtheWife, I'll suggest that to him. He does apparently has a strong blink reflex as it made it hard for him to get the lenses in, that doesn't mean he is actually blinking enough!

WaxOnFeckOff Tue 12-Jun-18 23:32:35

Ah Simon, that makes sense! he's also recently passed his driving test although to be fair he's not piling up the mileage! A few trips a week to take his brother to school and not much else.

RB68 Tue 12-Jun-18 23:57:51

Both my Dad and I have dry eye - just hereditary I suppose but Dad at 71 just had his cataracts done and had some laser surgery at the same time leaving him only needing a plus 1 for IT work. It has been life transforming - taken 20yrs off him in terms of confidence of what he sees although I know most of that was the cateracts. He was minus 8 plus I believe. He paid a clinic to have the work done as the wait was too long for the cateracts on NHS and he would have had to stop driving, he only had the lasering done as an aside - he does wish he had done it years ago!

WaxOnFeckOff Wed 13-Jun-18 00:07:14

I think DS would definitely be a candidate for something more permanent and like you, i think it would be good to do it while he is young so he gets maximum benefit. His prescription is still changing (for the worse) and he is still growing. DH was around 20 when he stopped growing. DS is still 17 and already 6'3, DH was only 5'10 at the same age and is now 6'2. We hope DS doesn't have much more left to go....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: