Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What well paid careers can you go into with an arts degree?

(17 Posts)
DoveIsland Tue 12-Jun-18 22:24:17

Did a degree in arts/music, am now in a related field working a lot for little money doing something I don't enjoy - figure I might look into doing something I don't enjoy for much more money. And who knows might actually find I enjoy it!

But feel a bit limited by my degree - everything well paid (besides law and I didn't get a 1st so am ruling that out) seems to be for people with maths/science backgrounds.

CaseStudyResearch Tue 12-Jun-18 22:31:56

Accountancy. Have a look at grad schemes with Big 4 - there may be some places left open still for Sept start. We have people with all sorts of different degrees.

A lot of our last intake were a little older too and had 1-2 years work experience.

LadysFingers Tue 12-Jun-18 22:59:24

More opportunities in accountancy than law (per a friend of ours, a solicitor)!

HerRoyalNotness Tue 12-Jun-18 23:02:10

One of my managers had ân English degree and ended up a senior VP in a large multinational.

Look up cost engineer/analyst. You could start as a cost technician and work your way up by experience. Large engineering and construction firms hire these people for projects. As a bonus if you’re any good, you get to travel with them in expat assignments .

argumentativefeminist Tue 12-Jun-18 23:02:13

Obviously don't know what you're doing now but some curating/museum/gallery jobs can be quite well paid I think?

BackforGood Tue 12-Jun-18 23:22:04

Just checking in, looking for suggestions.

GallicosCats Tue 12-Jun-18 23:30:05

argumentativefeminist sorry but the fields you mention pay peanuts - nothing if they can get away with it. Where I work half the donkey work is done by retired volunteers who used to get paid for what they did. hmm

I suggest a conversion course to a more lucrative field such as IT, finance or business.

TaytoAllDay Wed 13-Jun-18 08:33:59

PA is paid well

ShovingLeopard Wed 13-Jun-18 08:36:19

You used to be able to go into most areas of banking with an arts degree. Not sure if that's still the case, but worth a look.

BevBrook Wed 13-Jun-18 08:39:04

People I know with arts degrees have gone on to work in management consultancy, civil service, think tanks, research organisations, advertising/ marketing.

Racecardriver Wed 13-Jun-18 08:43:15

Consultancy pays well in big firms. Obviously there is finance. Accounting also comes to mind. Some supermarkets actually pay managers better than the average salary. It really depends on what you mean by well paid and whether you are willing to undertake additional training.

foxpox Wed 13-Jun-18 08:54:55

This interests me, moving jobs with an arts degree. I went into teaching but do not enjoy and after maternity and the early years childcare would love to find something else...cost engineering sounds different. I am a scientist-y logical person at heart despite being quite creative and think I went the wrong way with studies sometimes.
Will be following to see what suggestions people have.

DoveIsland Wed 13-Jun-18 10:24:37

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I think you sound a bit like me foxpox. I was split between arts/sciences for degree, but went arts in the end.

TaytoAllDay Wed 13-Jun-18 10:39:48

Oh yes, consultancy too!

ladybirdsaredotty Wed 13-Jun-18 10:53:14

I was torn between arts/science too (my best subjects at school were English and Science!) but went the science route for my degree. Don't worry though, I've been a support worker ever since (nearly 14 years, but with 3 maternity leaves and travelling in that time). What are all these well paid sciencey jobs you can get without a professional qualification? I live in the SE but in a medium town not a city (and dad definitely not London), which may be the issue...confused

Good luck finding something!

ladybirdsaredotty Wed 13-Jun-18 10:59:58

Not sure where that 'dad' came from! He doesn't live in London either, though grin

DoveIsland Wed 13-Jun-18 12:01:52

I was wondering where your dad came into it ladybirds! grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: