Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Do you give money to younger children to buy siblings birthday presents?

(10 Posts)
buckeejit Tue 12-Jun-18 22:13:57

Just wondering what other people do? My dc love giving a present to their sibling & was just thinking about what ds can give dd next month for her 5th birthday. Don't want to buy a lot of tat so do we let him pick the £30 Lego gift or is that too much? Probably at least half our budget.

What alternatives are there? Historically they have been more excited about the others birthday when they have been involved in buying & wrapping presents etc but unsure if I am settting a bad precedent!

snewname Tue 12-Jun-18 22:18:09

Yep at poundland. They were free to choose anything they wanted. Then it progressed to spending their own money on something from poundland. It was the thought behind it so they also gratefully received all manner of weird and wonderful carefully chosen tat from their siblings too.
As teens they naturally progressed to spending slightly more, on more sophisticated tat.

Xmasbaby11 Tue 12-Jun-18 22:19:50

Yes I do - up to £5. They enjoy it and it's a good way of getting used to handling money.

buckeejit Tue 12-Jun-18 23:32:16

Ok, back to Poundland-they we're rubbish at picking themselves at Christmas. Luckily I found a great sand filled stretchy rubber banana thing that went down a treat! Thanks

HerRoyalNotness Tue 12-Jun-18 23:34:14

Yes I do about $5. It could be a teeshirt or hair bobbles not necessarily a toy, as it’s hard to get something good for little money. If the birthday child likes Lego how about a mini fig bag? Last Xmas DC1 got DC2 a bath bomb, he loved it!

Blostma Tue 12-Jun-18 23:36:42

Yes, they always really enjoyed it!

Stompythedinosaur Wed 13-Jun-18 07:06:44

They pick something small and I pay. Def under £10.

Witchend Wed 13-Jun-18 07:11:07

I found they're actually quite imaginative.
Dd1 thinks for weeks very carefully.
Dd2 rushes round town and buys on impulse. Can be fantastic, can be a bit random.
DS decides before he goes but is probably the most imaginary. He likes to have a twist.

TimeToDash Wed 13-Jun-18 07:14:59

Our two buy for each other, I usually let them choose what to buy - last thing one bought for the other was £45, sometimes less sometimes more depending on what they choose.

TimeToDash Wed 13-Jun-18 07:16:34

Also we also give the other child 'unbirthday' presents - little things like t shirts, craft stuff, books and sweets.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: