Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

I love my new plate. Anyone know anything about ceramics, is it old?, where is it from?

(8 Posts)
longhouselisa Tue 12-Jun-18 21:14:19

Evening,

Bought a lovely plate (I love it and that's what matters!). But I have no idea about it. It looks old. Anyone know where it might have come from and how old it might be? There are no marks on the back, only a couple of finger dip marks, if that makes sense.

QueenArseClangers Tue 12-Jun-18 21:20:53

Ooooh, that does look old. No knowledge or information but I could imagine it being a Jacobean era piece.

Alabasterangel6 Tue 12-Jun-18 21:25:25

Are the patterns raised/bumpy?

Email the potteries museum in stoke on trent. I do think that potentially is either very very old (over 250 years) or made to look like it is.

It’s slipware if that helps.

FuriousFifties Tue 12-Jun-18 21:28:53

It's slip ware, and probably done at a pottery weekend workshop sort of thing. Commercial or an artistic Potter would have an identification mark. It's a nice example though, so much nicer than mass produced stuff.

OutingMyDog Tue 12-Jun-18 21:32:32

I don't think it looks old at all. The heart and keys pattern looks very modern.

Hygge Tue 12-Jun-18 21:33:35

You might want to take the wire thing off it.

They can cause a lot of damage.

Alabasterangel6 Tue 12-Jun-18 21:36:46

Disagree it’s definately modern. It’s either old or a copy of an old piece. Look at the design on this 1860 marriage dish - very similar !

longhouselisa Wed 13-Jun-18 06:10:17

Oooh, thank you everyone for all the info. The pattern on it is raised (and quite a bit of the tops of it knocked off) Alabasterangel6 . That piece you linked to has an almost identical pattern to mine. I can't believe it is that old!? I will send an email to the potteries place and see what they say - so exciting.

Hygge just about to attempt to take the hanger off of it. It is a metal spring affair but the end bits that hold the plate's edge are a very hard plastic, will that still be damaging the plate? I need to find a way to hang it so that it is secure to the wall. It is going to hang above our bed once I finished painting the bedroom. I don't want it to come crashing down in the middle of the night and brain one of us!

It's beautiful, isn't it Furious fifties ? I love stuff that no one else has got and I think this fits the category grin .

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: