Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Sudden decline in mums mental health

(14 Posts)
FunnysInLaJardin Tue 12-Jun-18 20:49:33

My mum was fine up to a week ago. She is nearly 90, very fit and active, just went on holiday, lots of friends etc.

Last Sunday she suddenly was gripped by a crippling depression, then this Sunday fell at home and was admitted to hospital.

She is refusing to leave hospital, says she can't walk and has MS (she doesn't). Social services have organised emergency residential care for he.

I rang her tonight and it was awful. She screamed, cried, moaned - literally a guttural moan- and kept saying she wanted to die and not to both organising care as she was about to die. Then she put the phone down on me.

I am at a loss and tbh it was truly shocking. I am overseas but my sisters are close and will visit.

She has gone from a very spritely woman looking forward to her 90th birthday to someone who is totally lost and frightened.

Suppose I am posting to see if anyone has experienced anything similar.

sixnearlyseven Tue 12-Jun-18 20:53:59

My gran had a uti which made her seem like she had dementia, she was really incoherent in hospital but fine after iv antibiotics . On a less positive note, could she have had a mini stroke? I guess the hospital has done tests

FunnysInLaJardin Tue 12-Jun-18 20:57:04

Thanks six. I have asked my sister to mention a UTI to the hospital and interesting it made your gran so ill. Not sure about a stroke, possibly although I would have thought the hospital would have checked this out?

BirgitteNyborg Tue 12-Jun-18 21:20:47

I was also going to suggest potential UTI. It made my mum terribly ill, both physically and mentally and it came on very suddenly. She was hallucinating and deeply paranoid. She needed IV antibiotics (for several days!). Afterwards, she was back to her old self mentally but much weaker physically.

spiderlight Tue 12-Jun-18 21:57:58

My mum was the same with a UTI. Absolutely terrifying.

Atthebottomofthesea Tue 12-Jun-18 22:01:30

I am sorry to hear this, but I immediately thought a UTI as well, you would hope that the hospital had checked but nothing is a given.

When I worked in Older Person's Mental Health we constantly had to send referrals for the service back to the GP asking them to check for a UTI first, so there is no saying it has been picked up on.

LeoTimmyandVi Tue 12-Jun-18 22:16:09

Could be a delirium if she has had an infection? Can last for a number of weeks after being unwell and is not always well recognised.

PestymcPestFace Tue 12-Jun-18 22:17:20

Another one for UTI

magimedi Tue 12-Jun-18 22:19:06

Funnys - My immediate thought was a UTI. I am a lot younger than you DM (by about 35 years ) but I had a bad UTI last year & was hallucinating with it one night. It was very scary.

TheBigFatMermaid Tue 12-Jun-18 22:21:48

Yes, I have worked in elderly care for years and a simple UTI can lead to a sudden and massive deterioration!

SnowGoArea Tue 12-Jun-18 22:25:38

Saw the title and came on to say uti, not realising everyone else had too!

I hope you mum improves, it must have been very alarming and given you quite a scare flowers

SilverHairedCat Tue 12-Jun-18 22:28:33

Another Uti vote, sorry! Hopefully. It is that simple and treatable.

ilovesooty Tue 12-Jun-18 22:32:35

My mother's decline into diagnosed dementia in her 90s was similarly sudden I'm afraid with very similar symptoms.

I do hope your mum does simply have a treatable UTI.

FunnysInLaJardin Wed 13-Jun-18 13:23:33

Thanks so much for all of the responses and hello Magi grin

I rang the hospital today and they said they had checked for a UTI and she didn't have one, although I am not entirely convinced tbh.

Anyway she is 'medically fit' to be discharged to the care home if they will take her and so the saga continues.

ilove sorry about your mum, I am now thinking that is what is happening to my mum sad

Thank god for Mumsnet in times of crisis!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: