Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Dirty floors

(9 Posts)
ImMissHannigan Tue 12-Jun-18 19:06:54

I was persuaded by my other half to pick a shiny, light grey porcelain tile. And I can't disagree with him, it looks great. For about ten minutes after cleaning it anyway!! Nothing at all gets it properly clean, the grout has gone from a light matching colour to a dark contrast. We have tried everything. Even bought a ewbank floor polisher (they are shit, nearly as shit as the customer service but that's another thread!). Tried every product on the shelf. I have to mop it and dry it by hand to get it to look nice. Takes about half an hour. Lasts about ten minutes! Do I really have to do this every day forever?! Please wise mumsnetters, how do you keep your tiled floors clean? Is there a product or machine we can buy? Or can we coat it with some kind of sealant? I can't look at a dirty floor every day and don't have the time to clean it every day either. I'll try and post a pic.

BackforGood Tue 12-Jun-18 23:48:26

Hmmm. No answer for you, but I can't help thinking it is sort of asking for trouble in putting light grey porcelain on the floor. I mean - did it not occur to you when you first saw it ? Bit like laying cream carpet throughout a house, IMO.

Mari098 Wed 13-Jun-18 07:17:14

You can steam clean it , get a good steam cleaner then try a grout and tile sealant.

AgedTawnyPort Wed 13-Jun-18 07:24:33

Look at the HG range of products, there will be something there that makes a difference even if it isn't a massive difference.

My carpet cleaning firm clean, polish and seal floors, the photos on their social media account look fantastic.

They came round to do a spot clean on some tiles I have inherited in a house and told me not to bother as it didn't make a huge difference. They quoted £250 for a big kitchen, 20ft x 15ft ish.

TimeToDash Wed 13-Jun-18 07:26:59

We have really light grout too. I usually put loads of bleach on then steam clean. Wouldn't choose that colour next time!

GetOffTheTableMabel Wed 13-Jun-18 07:27:53

I have a Braava robot mop (& a similar floor to you, I think). I LOVE it. I think it was about £250. I also have a roomba vacuum cleaner which I do not rate as highly but the mop is sanity saving.

AgedTawnyPort Wed 13-Jun-18 07:30:26

Loads of things here. Fantastic products for tough cleaning jobs, I was going to replace all my bathrooms but one doesn't need it after several doses of their professional limescale remover, mould remover and loads of Cif and elbow grease.

uk.hg.eu/products/tiles/

Stephisaur Wed 13-Jun-18 07:53:46

We have cream tiles and off white grout. My mum bought me a steam cleaner and it’s absolutely fantastic for getting the grout clean smile

BeginningToWobble Wed 13-Jun-18 08:44:48

Lower your standards grin

Our tiles are awful (didn't choose). Dark grey, almost black and show everything. I also have 2 DC. I don't bother any more.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: