Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What would be your signature cake for bake off?

(25 Posts)
UtterClusterFluff Tue 12-Jun-18 19:01:53

We are having a bake off at work and I'm looking for inspiration!

cake

SoddingUnicorns Tue 12-Jun-18 19:03:53

I’m doing a nursery graduation (yes they have the ridiculous hats and everything blush) cake this year and I’m doing a dark chocolate/salted caramel layer cake with salted caramel buttercream and chocolate ganache drip top.

Or chocolate/cherry works too.

Yogagirl123 Tue 12-Jun-18 19:07:33

Ohh I made an amazing cake some years ago for DS birthday. Chocoholics delight, chocolate, toffee crumble the lot!

AsAProfessionalFekko Tue 12-Jun-18 19:09:44

Orange polenta - my absolute favourite cake ever.

maggycool Tue 12-Jun-18 19:18:14

Nigella's lemon syrup loaf cake - it is divine! 🍋

http://www.bakeandthecity.co.uk/2013/04/nigella-lawsons-perfect-every-time.html?m=1

UtterClusterFluff Tue 12-Jun-18 20:25:14

Some lovely ideas thanks!

@yogagirl - that does look amazing!

@maggycool - I like the sound of that but I'm worried others will go for a classic lemon drizzle so it might be too safe a bet?

maggycool Tue 12-Jun-18 21:08:50

@UtterClusterFluff When is it? A beautiful slightly autumnal cake is John Waite's (who won Bake Off a few (probably like 5/6 years ago) toffee apple upside down cake. It is a really good cake, looks pretty impressive too.

maggycool Tue 12-Jun-18 21:11:13

@UtterClusterFluff you know what I meant, on looking at it further, it is pretty autumnal looking... Delicious for when the leaves start turning red and the days get shorter though. 🍁

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Tue 12-Jun-18 21:13:42

Lemon and lime drizzle cake. It won an award at my workplace bake off.

I'm also told my gin and tonic cake is fabulous, but I find it a little sickly.

AsAProfessionalFekko Tue 12-Jun-18 21:14:20

We need recipes...

MongerTruffle Tue 12-Jun-18 21:18:58

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwKGZS3EE7Q

This ^^
It is unlike any chocolate cake I have ever tasted. It is amazing.

isthistoonosy Tue 12-Jun-18 21:19:59

I'd do a carrot cake, I've only made one once, but it was really popular as it is quite a pain in the arse to make so people don't get it that often.

MongerTruffle Tue 12-Jun-18 21:20:02

Posted too soon!
It's made with espresso, stout and, wait for it... mayonnaise. I freaked out at first, but thinking about it, mayonnaise is just eggs and oil (which are already in cakes).

Babybearsporij Tue 12-Jun-18 21:20:29

This. It's heavenly. I've made it 5 or 6 times now and it's come out perfect every time. It's so light and tasty.

www.waitrose.com/content/waitrose/en/home/recipes/recipe_directory/e/easy-lemon-curd-layercake.html

HyacinthsBucket70 Tue 12-Jun-18 21:23:52

www.thepinkwhisk.co.uk/2014/05/raspberry-ripple-cake.html

I cannot tell you how divine this cake tastes and looks. The top does look lovely just sprinkled with icing sugar but if its for a special occasion, then I use extra cream cheese filling on top and do some shards of white chocolate amongst raspberries.

Another one is Jamie Oliver party cake... from one of his early books. It's a gooey moist sponge sandwiched with ganache, strawberries and cream. Another one that can be equally casual or elegant... I've done a topping of maltesers and strawberries on the ganache.

StarveInn Tue 12-Jun-18 21:38:42

I made this for DH’s Birthday this year and it was delicious

www.janespatisserie.com/2017/07/24/millionaires-cake/

Bridechilla Tue 12-Jun-18 21:48:15

In my head, something glorious involving fresh figs, reality; a biscuit cake I cobble together. Always gets eaten first mind. DIY marshmallows always get an Ooooh if you have an electric whisk they're a piece of pish to make (note the theme).

foobio Tue 12-Jun-18 21:56:37

My mum made an amazing cake at the weekend, it was an adapted carrot cake recipe containing carrot, apple, beetroot and orange chocolate. Sounds completely random, but it was delicious! (And really pretty with the pink beetroot)

VetOnCall Tue 12-Jun-18 22:01:36

I made this after seeing it on Bake Off; it's gorgeous and not that difficult to make: thegreatbritishbakeoff.co.uk/kates-sticky-toffee-apple-caramel-cake/

This is also really good as it is, or used as a basic recipe which I've then adapted with fruit flavours a few times - using a chocolate orange ganache on the top and decorating with candied orange segments or using raspberry cream for the filling and decorating with raspberries: thegreatbritishbakeoff.co.uk/pauls-devils-food-cake/

Mary Berry has a really good orange sponge cake which you can jazz up by making a chocolate ganache drip-down topping instead of the orange cream. It's always very popular when I make it as it's not overly sweet.

VetOnCall Tue 12-Jun-18 22:09:25

Some great recipes on this thread, I've bookmarked the Waitrose lemon one as I'm always on the hunt for the perfect lemon cake, and the raspberry ripple one looks fab too. Cheers OP!

CrumbsInBed Tue 12-Jun-18 22:13:45

Ginger and dark chocolate cake, with a mirror finish on top, piped with orange icing swirl, with an orange lotus flower.

CrumbsInBed Tue 12-Jun-18 22:14:41

Orange lotus flower created out of icing, that is.

TheSquatLobster Tue 12-Jun-18 22:56:36

Made this one for the first time last week. It's fab! Made the lemon curd too, and piled raspberries on top
www.deliaonline.com/recipes/occasions/easter/easter-recipes-for-the-long-holiday/lemon-griestorte

SneakyGremlins Tue 12-Jun-18 22:58:33

I'd make my ever popular banana and mango cake smile

sunsunsunsunsun Wed 13-Jun-18 20:11:52

Someone won ours last week with a rhubarb, ginger and something cake. It was so moist and delicious 😋

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: