Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

DD minor bite from cat. Walk in or home care?

(51 Posts)
oldbirdy Tue 12-Jun-18 18:28:23

DD tried to pick our cat up and got bitten (not scratched) on her face. The wound is obviously not bad at all but I am wondering about the fact that as she's drawn blood does she need antibiotics or will an antiseptic wipe do?
Cat is usually fine, never scratches even, but she was eating grass do I wonder if she has a belly ache or something.

Fluffyears Tue 12-Jun-18 18:31:18

Dunno if she might need a tetanus as you do from dog bites. Maybe try 111 and see.

Wotrewelookinat Tue 12-Jun-18 18:32:08

Vet here. Clean well with antiseptic, and keep a VERY close eye on this. Cat bites can get very nasty due to all the bacteria on the teeth. Might be worth phoning 111 to see what the NHS guidelines are.

elspethmcgillicuddy Tue 12-Jun-18 18:32:14

Cat bites always need antibiotics. They have some nasty bacteria in their mouths. Walk in centre I'm afraid.

littlecabbage Tue 12-Jun-18 18:35:28

She doesn't need a tetanus injection. Cat's mouths can contain nasty bacteria which could cause an infection, but personally I'd wait and see rather than risk overusing antibiotics. I would clean gently with a mild and very dilute antiseptic, and see how it goes. If it is excessively red or swollen, or exuding pus in the next few days, seek help (GP).

AlicesRabbitHole Tue 12-Jun-18 18:35:51

When my daughter was bitten my a squirrel, NHS Direct advised A&E. She was prescribed antibiotics. Both the Dr and pharmacist stressed the importance of finishing the course or face the risk of serious infection. I thought it was a bit over the top initially but the very nice Dr said this is the protocol with any animal bite.

littlecabbage Tue 12-Jun-18 18:36:00

(Also a vet)

bellanotte22 Tue 12-Jun-18 18:37:01

Get her seen. Cat bites can push bacteria far into the skin.

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Tue 12-Jun-18 18:38:35

Cat bites always need antibiotics

Oh. Shit. I'm dead then. ☠️

Crunchymum Tue 12-Jun-18 18:38:36

I got scratched (albeit much worse and by 2 cats - I stupidly interrupted my cat and the neighbours cat having a stand off!) but I ended up needing a tetanus and a 10 day course of 2 different types of antibiotics!! So it may be worth checking with your GP tomorrow.

kaytee87 Tue 12-Jun-18 18:39:15

Probably needs antibiotics/antibiotic cream. Possibly a pharmacist could prescribe the cream?

WilburIsSomePig Tue 12-Jun-18 18:39:34

Cat bites can turn very nasty very quickly.

Namethecat Tue 12-Jun-18 18:41:36

A few months ago I was holding my cat at the vets whilst she was having her nails clipped. The vet cut one a bit short and hurt her. She bit my finger ( 🐱 cat not vet ☺ ! ) and it bled a fair bit but all seemed ok. Woke up next morning to a large throbbing finger and had to go to a walk in centre and had a week's worth of antibiotics.

AlicesRabbitHole Tue 12-Jun-18 18:41:42

Don't wait until tomorrow. The advice I got from squirrel bite saga was "she needed to be seen within x amount of time." They told us to take us straight to nearest A&E. Of course loads of people will be ok after animal bites but the NHS guidance is that antibiotics are needed ASAP.

AnotherOriginalUsername Tue 12-Jun-18 18:42:01

We (vet surgery) always advise seeking medical advise (and usually provide a letter for them to take with them) if a bit breaks the skin.

That being said, that looks more like a scratch/graze than a puncture wound so I'd be inclined to clean well and get it seen if any sign of inflammation

kaytee87 Tue 12-Jun-18 18:42:34

Also your poor daughter thanks she must have gotten a fright. I remember being scratched by a cat as a child and I'm still wary of them.

Sharpandshineyteeth Tue 12-Jun-18 18:48:08

111 will advise A and E. They did for me and my DDs small bite. They didn't even give her anti biotics, just saw her again the following day to see if it was infected. They would be better off advising to go to a pharmacy

Brazenhussy0 Tue 12-Jun-18 18:49:18

She doesn't need a tetanus injection. Cat's mouths can contain nasty bacteria which could cause an infection, but personally I'd wait and see rather than risk overusing antibiotics.

This^
Keep an eye on it. No need to run for the antibiotics just yet.

AlicesRabbitHole Tue 12-Jun-18 18:53:48

Well that's not what I was told by the A&E Dr or the pharmacist but it's the ops call. She won't be risking overusing antibiotics because they won't be prescribed if not necessary.

adaline Tue 12-Jun-18 18:57:52

Just keep an eye on it.

I've had cats for five years and I've been scratched and bitten countless of times! If it's particularly bad I'll wash it and stick some antiseptic on. I've never needed any other kind of medical attention.

Yes, cat bites/scratches can turn bad but it's not a guarantee and there's absolutely no need to go to A&E or OOH to get antibiotics straight away!

phlewf Tue 12-Jun-18 18:58:09

I didn’t know this about cat bites at all. I’ve alway disinfected them and kept an eye out obviously. I’ll maybe stop playing bity bity with my oldest.

oldbirdy Tue 12-Jun-18 19:16:20

Update: at walk in centre. They think antibiotics are likely. I feel embarrassed as it's such a small injury but they are being very nice.

oldbirdy Tue 12-Jun-18 20:27:49

She was given antibiotics - the actual medicine, not a prescription, to ensure she starts the course tonight. The doctor said if an animal bite breaks the skin the protocol is antibiotics. I felt completely stupid taking her in with a tiny injury but he said cat bites can get very nasty very quickly. So there you go mumsnet, animal bites = antibiotics on NHS protocol. Glad I checked.

smurfy2015 Tue 12-Jun-18 20:32:52

Glad she has been seen. I think you and her deserve a treat of some sort and remember parenting is hard, "don't feel embarrassed about it being a small injury" things happen, you sought help in real life and also support on here to work out your options quickly x

Cats can carry a lot of bacteria in their mouths so no chances being taken esp where it is on the face. However, after a course of antibiotics, all should be well.

I am well used to cat bites/scratches by this stage as my rescue cat is very hands on and will attack them at times and other times will be a wee darling - I follow the soak underwater (my hands not the cat) and apply neat antiseptic or witch hazel and cover my hands in hand gel - it stings like mad but I've not needed antibiotics for many of them bar one major incident.

With my previous cat who when the vet was examining his paw when he pulled out the claw and it abscessed overnight, the vet in her wisdom decided to burst the abscess but looking back i would have been grateful for a warning as I was holding cat tight and close to me so he bit as he yelped loudly in pain.

It was over for him in a few seconds and the trapped pus and blood came he got booked in for operation the following day and also a surprise neuter. (not a punishment it needed to be done, he was booked in for weeks later anyhow so it made sense to do at same time as paw)

For me sadly I had him in a scruff with one hand and tucked in a hold faced in toward my inner elbow and breast, he chomped his not so wee gnashers into the nearest thing and shared the pain

He was left overnight for pain relief, fluids and starvation for operation next day

He got me 1cm away from my left nipple and the swelling and bruising hit within a minute as did the incredible pain, the hard, hot lump as it spread and turned a lovely shade of deep purple and black,

I was past caring where I was and pulled off my top. I then had to go to A&E where I was taken straight thru to be fair, where they were shocked my injury was caused by a cat.

My left breast was all swollen, hard, purple and black and mega painful so updated tetanus even tho I was well in schedule, was admitted overnight for pain relief, antibiotics, anti sickness and taken to the larger hospital next morning by ambulance for breast clinic to see me and scanned to within an inch of my life.

Long story short was all bruising and given the time it wouldn't be as tender and it would come back to a normal colour and it did.

I made it back to the vets the evening of his op and took him home where we both went back to real home him after a night in vets and operation, - me after a night in hospital with several antibiotics iv at same time and all medication given to me to continue at home as no sleep in the hospital and he had to lie on a pillow on my chest and he loved life, I miss that cat even thou I love my current one too

Ontheboardwalk Tue 12-Jun-18 20:34:02

Good news that she’s been seen. You did the right thing. No way would I have taken a chance on a bite and possible infection on her face.

Hope she feels better soon

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: