Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

(Lighthearted) - A radical Brexit solution - Remainers to left, Brexiters to the right....

(40 Posts)
SupremeLeader Tue 12-Jun-18 17:39:53

So the country is hopelessly divided over Brexit.

Our politicians can't stop arguing about how to move forward.

A thread on here debating the future of Scotland and England keeps repeating the same old arguments, stereotypes and prejudices on both sides.

I've decided to take a leaf out of Trump's book (there's a sentence I never thought I would write!). and propose a radical solution...

Remainers to the West, Brexiters to the East! We'll take the M1 as a border in the South and then roughly divide in a straight line right up through Scotland. (Sorry Wales and Northern Ireland blush I wasn't sure how to deal with you but decided you could join us. Feel free to dissent) Book the removal vans now if you find yourself on the wrong side, because the Brexit clock is ticking.

I know, I know... surely it should be the other way round so that the Remainers are closer to Europe and the Brexiters closer to The US? But the simple fact is that I live in the West and don't want to move, and since I came up with this idea I get to choose. grin

I'll leave Cardiff, Manchester and Glasgow to argue it out about which will be our new capital. I have every confidence we can make a success of it.

Just think when the dust settles, everyone would be a winner - no more arguing with neighbours, everyone would be more welcoming as they know they are with likeminded people. Brexiters we'll give you Westminster, The Bank of England and the Port of Dover because I'm feeling generous.

Name of the new countries to be announced (no referenda allowed).

Who's in (or out)?

KindergartenKop Tue 12-Jun-18 20:05:21

It's a great plan. But what if DH voted differently? Where does he go? Can he take both kids?

Rufustheyawningreindeer Tue 12-Jun-18 20:31:54

What

I live down south...right at the bottom....where is the M1

Damn my lack of British geography knowledge <wails>

SupremeLeader Tue 12-Jun-18 20:34:26

He voted differently and you’re both still talking grin ? I’m sure you could negotiate...have you asked your DC where their loyalties lie? Perhaps 50:50 care, dual nationality and they decide at 18.... ?

SupremeLeader Tue 12-Jun-18 20:50:43

Time to get a map out Rufus! Just use a ruler and a pencil and continue the line . (After all that’s what we did in the Empire when we had to divide Africa up..) Then you can either breathe a sigh of relief - if you’re on the right side for your views - or start googling estate agents. No need to make a big fuss about it!

lljkk Tue 12-Jun-18 20:52:43

I'm in! Long fancied moving somewhere warmer.

FogCutter Tue 12-Jun-18 20:54:25

I'm in too, I wouldn't have to move but all the narrow minded racists in my town would have to move East 👍

KindergartenKop Tue 12-Jun-18 20:57:29

Kids too young to have an opinion. He can have them until they can wipe their bums and read, then I'll have them until the age of 12.5.

kalapattar Tue 12-Jun-18 21:00:06

How would that plan go with my plan to divide people into inconsiderate people and inconsiderate people?

WifeofDarth Tue 12-Jun-18 21:01:08

Oh yes, great plan. I'll move to Pembrokeshire, that way I'll have stunning scenery and still won't be too far from Europe

Passmeabrew Tue 12-Jun-18 21:01:44

Im in! And i dont have to move but DH does.....im ok with that because he needs to deal with the consequences of his foolish actions. Also, as part of these consequences, I get to keep the house right??

NameChangedAgain18 Tue 12-Jun-18 21:02:12

Great idea! We already have plenty of experience of partitioning countries (though, admittedly, it hasn't always gone well).

SupremeLeader Tue 12-Jun-18 21:06:37

Well yes, Passmeabrew that would seem only fair. Presumably with all those houses going on the market the increased supply would result in a fall in property prices too. Yet another benefit of my plan! Your DH would have no problem finding himself a new property in his new homeland.

Passmeabrew Tue 12-Jun-18 21:10:12

Thanks SupremeLeader, you seem very wise and have my vote grin

GardenGeek Tue 12-Jun-18 21:10:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SupremeLeader Tue 12-Jun-18 21:14:41

Is that your new country’s official name GardenGeek? I’m impressed at the speed of your decisions. Have you ever considered entering politics? Our new nations will need leaders capable of taking quick and decisive action.

Rufustheyawningreindeer Tue 12-Jun-18 21:27:54

I really think there should be a diagram....

Any cartographers out there?

PaulaPennyfeather Tue 12-Jun-18 22:15:05

Hang on. Doesn't that split London in two? What about us?? Won't somebody think of us poor Londoners?!?

SupremeLeader Tue 12-Jun-18 22:44:20

Hmmm. Divided cities don't have a great history - just look at Jerusalem and Berlin. Best to avoid that scenario I think. We'll let the Brexiters take London and use the Western M25 as the border. You'll just have to move if you're a remainer I'm afraid. I'm sure our new capital (whichever city that is) will soon establish itself as a financial centre anyway.

PaulaPennyfeather Tue 12-Jun-18 22:56:39

Splutters

London was 75% remain! You will have to rethink your plan - or we shall rethink it for you, if you get my drift. London definitely remains, or possibly becomes its own City State.

I'll be leader.

Rufustheyawningreindeer Tue 12-Jun-18 22:58:23

Fairly positive i dont have to move...i vote we keep london

Rufustheyawningreindeer Tue 12-Jun-18 22:58:40

Oooh sorry

Remain keeps london

PaulaPennyfeather Tue 12-Jun-18 23:01:47

Thank you Rufustheyawningreindeer. You can be Deputy Leader.

PaulaPennyfeather Tue 12-Jun-18 23:11:55

... of London, I mean.

SupremeLeader Tue 12-Jun-18 23:17:31

I still think we need to look at the bigger picture here. Splitting the country in this way is about a fresh start for both countries - If London is in Remainland it will be a vote for the status quo. If Brexit land gets London, most of the population will move out - so Brexiters will get a fresh start in a capital city with all the infrastructure but no financial services. Meanwhile the Remainers of London can move to new places and help build a new capital and financial centre which isn’t London- centric. It’s about a fresh start, building a new fairer country! (Getting all romantic and misty eyed here)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: