Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Family holiday to Perth... how much spends

(7 Posts)
storminabuttercup Tue 12-Jun-18 17:28:09

My DP’s family in Perth have kindly invited us to stay with them so we can have a holiday in oz, we would absolutely love to go but I’m trying to work out a budget to get the money together the thing is I’ve just no idea how much we will need.
I’ve priced up hire cars at around £350 for the 2 weeks
We will be staying with them but doing our own thing with them coming out with us on some day trips, they will be working.
We’d like to take them out for a few meals and contribute to groceries I know they won’t let us go do the shopping etc so id like to hand over x amount.
We’d go off exploring most days to beaches etc
Can anyone advise and help me out here?
There’s 3 of us and 2 of them.
I know this is all a bit vague but any advice is appreciated.
Also any expats over there who can give us some ideas on things they would like us to take over? (If we ask they will say nothing, they are super generous but I don’t want to be a CF guest)

storminabuttercup Tue 12-Jun-18 18:48:27

Hopeful bump

Isit7yet Tue 12-Jun-18 18:52:00

I found Perth hugely expensive. Simple breakfasts in cafes seem to all be at least $20. Meat is very cheap in supermarkets but then everything else seemed to be so much more! I didn't spend much during the day as it was days at the beach etc. They also have a very good and cheap public transport system.

storminabuttercup Wed 13-Jun-18 13:35:51

That’s useful thank you

AmIthatbloodycold Wed 13-Jun-18 13:38:01

I was very confused by your post until I noticed the "Oz" and "beaches". gringrin

Tatiannatomasina Wed 13-Jun-18 13:50:18

Everything is more expensive in WA apart from fuel. Wages are higher here though which makes the cost of living ok if you earn dollars. I would offer to bring them treats from home. I love it when visitors bring real yorkshire tea, thorntons chocolates, stuff i cant get here.Just ask them to send you a shopping list. What time of year are you coming out?
Also try remember they will be working, if you make dinner for them a few nights instead of sitting and waiting to ask whats for dinner they will love you. Its your holiday, not theirs. Driving in Perth is fine, just avoid rush hour. The south west is within 3 hrs and is beautiful with lots of wineries and things to do. We regularly make the trip, distance is nothing by Oz standards. Dominoes do $5 pizzas if you collect and meat is cheap so think BBQ. Sausages are nothing like uk, steak is good and very reasonably priced. Chicken breast is $9 bucks a kilo. We do have aldi and its good value. Google maps is your friend. Have a great trip 😎

storminabuttercup Thu 14-Jun-18 22:07:31

Thank you so much! I will most certainly offer to cook. We definitely want to go to Margaret river so plan a few nights there to give them a break from us! We aren’t going for ages 2020 but hoping for jan/feb summertime there. I couldn’t believe how cheap fuel is! Hire cars look cheap too! Also hotels look ok money wise.
I know it’s smaller and more remote than say Sydney but just the beaches look amazing, we like the natural stuff if that makes sense?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: