Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Driving test tips

(53 Posts)
MartagonLilies Tue 12-Jun-18 17:10:12

I have my test next week, and I'm so relying on passing it. I cannot keep going without a car! We live in an area with terrible transport links.
If really appreciate any tips that will help me. I have 2 lessons between them and now, and I'm not sure it's enough.

MartagonLilies Tue 12-Jun-18 18:49:24

Anyone?grin

Nyke Tue 12-Jun-18 18:53:48

The best advise I got in the run up to my test was don't give up if you think you've failed, instead keep going. I actually thought I'd failed and the urge to give up was so strong, but I tried my best and it turned out it was a minor fault so I passed. Also try not to focus on how intense you feel, try to relax and treat it as just another lesson. Good luck grin

PavlovianLunge Tue 12-Jun-18 18:58:33

Agree with Nyke. I thought I’d made a mistake in my test, but kept up my composure and carried on doing my best. The examiner passed me, and didn’t even mention the mistake that I thought I’d made.

One tip I was given is to have your rear view mirror slightly mis-positioned, so you have to move your head to use it. Whether it was sensible advice or not, I don’t know, but remember, there’s no such thing as using your mirrors too much.

Good luck!

Aprilshouldhavebeenmyname Tue 12-Jun-18 18:58:34

Mars bar and 2 paracetamol before you leave the house - for energy and to keep your temp down if you get stressed!!
Advice from my instructor when I refused her offer of Beta Blockers!!

crazycatgal Tue 12-Jun-18 18:58:59

Forget any small mistakes that you make, I was a bit worried that I'd failed but I thought positively and kept on going.

Don't be too worried about missing signs on your independent drive, I missed the turning and my examiner ended up rerouting me - it didn't matter.

Have a drink of water and clear your head every time that you're asked to pull over at the side of the road. This helped me to stay calm and keep going.

MartagonLilies Tue 12-Jun-18 20:38:49

Thank yousmile
I like the advise to stay composed and keep going! Seems you all agree on that too!
I don't like mars bars, is there an alternative?cake

MartagonLilies Tue 12-Jun-18 20:39:21

Ooh, and take a bottle of water with me, I'll do that too.

MartagonLilies Sat 16-Jun-18 18:37:52

Shamelessly bumping, with only a few days to go shock

KTD27 Sat 16-Jun-18 18:43:54

Bit odd but I ‘narrated’ my test. I was super nervous and on a bit of a deadline as took my test while I was pregnant.
The instructor was fine with it and it really helped me calm down and also I felt like I was ‘showing’ them what I was doing. I was saying things like
‘Right pulling up at the roundabout and there’s nobody coming on the right so it’s safe to go’
God it sounds ridiculous when I type it but it worked for me!!

Also I echo the idea about not giving up if you think you’ve made an error. My manoeuvre was about 5 minutes in and was reversing round a corner and I knew it wasn’t my best work but I carried on regardless and that was my only minor fault.

AnaVanda Sat 16-Jun-18 18:46:41

Treat it like a job interview. Dress smartly and be polite and friendly. And I agree, if you make a mistake and think you've messed up, don't give up. They might let it go if you can remain calm.

MakeLemonade Sat 16-Jun-18 18:49:15

I had a Boost chocolate bar before mine, I think a sugar injection is helpful.

Don’t be afraid to ask to start again on your manoeuvre if you completely balls it up first time!

MartagonLilies Tue 19-Jun-18 08:39:29

Did anyone do a mock test with their instructor? If so, did you fail or pass that? How about the real test afterwards, was it the same result, or different?

WaxOnFeckOff Tue 19-Jun-18 08:55:02

Keep in mind that what they are looking for is that you are safe to go and learn on your own. They are not looking for you to be an accomplished driver. They want to know that you will take the safest options and be able to get yourself out of difficulty by manoeuvring the car correctly. When driving up the road, position yourself in the middle of your available space. Agree totally with the carrying on even if you feel you have made an error. I clipped the kerb on a really tight corner with poor visibility, felt I'd failed and then just chilled and relaxed and even overtook a digger on the dual carriageway smile I passed!

Kinraddie Tue 19-Jun-18 08:55:57

My daughter failed her mock test with her driving instructor but passed the real thing the following week. My advice to her was, they know that you are not going to be the best driver at this stage as you are just learning, but they need to know you are and will be a safe driver. Don't panic, don't rush, don't take chances (esp at roundabouts, busy junctions). Good luck

MartagonLilies Tue 19-Jun-18 11:40:11

This is really helpful, thank you.
My instructor contacted me this morning, and has squeezed me in for one last lesson, I go in half an hour.
It's really strange, I was pretty sure I had a decent chance of passing. I was worried I wouldnt of course, though not the complete set of nerves I've seemed to have turned intoconfused
Since yesterday I've felt extremely worried about it, and today I'm practically shaking the closer it gets to just my last lessonconfusedhmm

MrsKoala Tue 19-Jun-18 12:02:16

I also narrated my test. It sounds strange but actually it really focuses you and stops the awkward weird silence. I was just saying things like 'i'm going to turn left now so i am looking in my mirrors, putting the indicator down, positioning the car, checking mirrors again, waiting for this car to pass us....'

I also ate a banana before the test. They are meant to have calming properties. I did some breathing exercises, had a wee, had a banana and some water and narrated all the way round. Passed with no minors! Completely clean sheet - i have it framed. My most incredible achievement ever!

Good luck.

MartagonLilies Thu 21-Jun-18 16:30:11

One last question - did you take your instructor on the test with you, and, whether you did or didn't, do you think that made a difference to your result?

KTD27 Thu 21-Jun-18 16:46:17

Nope I didn’t. Didn’t know I could honestly but it would probably have made me more nervous. She stayed at the test centre smoking a LOT of cigarettes. Loved that woman. 😀

MartagonLilies Sun 24-Jun-18 05:46:49

My test was a couple of days ago - I failedsad
I got a serious for a mirror check. So frustrated, 1 check! Makes it worse that my instructor says it may have been a minor, if the examiners boss hadn't been along for the ride confused

SimplySteve Sun 24-Jun-18 06:00:18

You've clearly the aptitude and skill. I'd book again ASAP and get your instructor to squeeze in a lesson or too. I know how pissed off you must be as I failed first time on a mirror check! Long time ago now.

So go rebook!

headstone Sun 24-Jun-18 08:13:16

In all honesty bring your instructor with you in the test. I did many tests and I passed the one she came in. If you do fail she/ he will then have a better idea what went wrong. They won’t fail you for something silly if your instructor is there.

MrsKoala Sun 24-Jun-18 08:53:56

Poor you OP. I failed 4 times, each on one major like that. It was just complete nerves which made me do strange things. Do try again straight away if you can. I didn't and left it years between tests which meant i had start from scratch each time.

Tinycitrus Sun 24-Jun-18 08:57:36

I took my instructor on the test and it helped him see what I failed on.

Don’t give up - keep going. I passed third time!

FoofFighter Sun 24-Jun-18 09:07:41

Don't try to peek at the clipboard at junctions etc
wink

If you fail go and book it right away again ASAP

Do t tell anyone you have your test

Don't worry about wrong turns they aren't marking you on that

Don't be afraid to ask them to shut up if you need to concentrate. Or to talk if you need that.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: