Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Recommendation for Squat challenge or other daily squat routine?

(15 Posts)
HappyGowerGirl Tue 12-Jun-18 15:27:49

Hey! I want to get into doing squats to build strength for running and biking (and also to have a more peachy ass😳).

I read about squat challenges, has anyone done one and do they actually work? There seems to be lots of different programs out there... any suggestions welcome😀

ZigZagIntoTheBlue Tue 12-Jun-18 15:28:38

Following with interest - I need to do more exercise!

HappyGowerGirl Tue 12-Jun-18 18:14:38

So I’ve just done my first set of 20 squats! Hope I’m getting it right! Slowly building up to 125 squats 😮 on day 30!

user1471459936 Tue 12-Jun-18 18:27:01

I did the squat challenge and completely fucked up my knees. Had to stop running for a few months! It was very frustrating as I am used to exercising every day.

HappyGowerGirl Tue 12-Jun-18 18:47:52

Oh that’s a terrifying thought!!! As I love running! How many squats were you doing?!

user1471459936 Tue 12-Jun-18 19:27:57

I can't remember as it was about a year ago. But it was a "30 day squat challenge" where the amount increased every day. You would be better off going to a gym and getting advice. I was very unhappy to not run but I also swim so did some of that instead. Though mainly pull to not upset my knees!

RainOnATinRoof Tue 12-Jun-18 20:06:06

Just doing squats over and over again will probably not help with anything except getting good at squats. You’d probably be better off putting together a well-rounded plan with a variety of lower body exercises.

HappyGowerGirl Tue 12-Jun-18 21:39:16

Thanks rain I’ll look into that!

user1471459936 Tue 12-Jun-18 21:47:58

Just thought - have you ever tried yoga? I used to think it was a ridiculously easy exercise and not worth the bother until I found yoga with Adriene on YouTube. Try it!

Suzietwo Tue 12-Jun-18 21:53:48

I do a lot of weighted squats and it’s made zero difference to my arse.

Narya Tue 12-Jun-18 21:57:42

At a group I attend we did the Sally Up squat challenge (search for it on YouTube). It's good for stamina as well as strength.

HappyGowerGirl Tue 12-Jun-18 22:34:56

Thanks guys, perhaps squats aren’t the magic answer after all😂

Ladygaggia Wed 13-Jun-18 09:11:10

This one is good

www.blogilates.com/30-day-butt-lift-challenge/

It has helped lift and firm my arse. I completed the 30 day challenge and now I do 20 of each every morning

EmmaStone Wed 13-Jun-18 09:24:29

I do quite a lot of squats (granted not daily), and can't say it's changed my bum particularly. But if you do it, make sure your form is right (weight in heels - you should be able to lift your toes comfortably), don't let your knees go past the line with ankles.

Fitness Blender do loads of bum strengtheners - could look there - I definitely feel it when I've done one.

Mishappening Wed 13-Jun-18 09:28:58

It is worth remembering that problems can ensue from this sort of repetitive exercise: knees, spine, hip etc. And some of these appear later in life and you might wish you had not done them and settled for the ass you have!

Really, people get repetitive strain injury from just typing! The load on your joints when you perform these moves is huge. The recommendation seems to be to do exercise that replicates (or siinply is) normal activity: running, walking, swimming etc, although even these can create problems if done to excess.

You have been warned!!! grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: