Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Anyone toned/fit care to share their workout routine?

(48 Posts)
retainertrainer Tue 12-Jun-18 12:51:21

I started exercising back in January, nothing serious but I’ve been really enjoying it and have now become a gym member (instead of paying as I go). I haven’t really got any weight to loose but I was very wobbly and unfit. I’m just starting to see some results-my arms and legs are firming up.

I’m really interested to know what people do. I’m not brave enough for free weights yet but I’d like to see more results.

My plan is to go every other day and I’ve found a routine on line which uses the resistance machines so I’m going to focus on that for a month and see how I get on.

I’m also enjoying the occasional swim.

I’ve never ever enjoyed any form of exercise before this year!

user1471459936 Tue 12-Jun-18 13:05:13

Well done! How about adding running to your exercise?

retainertrainer Tue 12-Jun-18 13:08:23

I really can’t run,I’m ok on a treadmill but out in the real world I just haven’t got the legs/lung capacity for it! I do like the cross trainer though. I’ve just discovered the exercise forum on here. Started on the weightlifting thread but it’s like a foreign language! I think I’d benefit from a PT session,I feel a bit lost with it all.

AlbertaSimmons Tue 12-Jun-18 13:11:10

PT session is a good idea. Lots of PT sessions even better. You need to lift heavy weights regularly to properly tone up. You don’t say how old you are, but weightlifting works for everybody. It’s also extremely empowering for women.

My mantra - eat, sleep, lift, repeat!

AlbertaSimmons Tue 12-Jun-18 13:14:38

Here’s my pic. I’m 55.

JohnnyKarate Tue 12-Jun-18 13:17:34

I couldn't run until I did CouchTo5k. I now run almost daily and the doctor told me last week I have very toned legs and arms 😂

Mamia15 Tue 12-Jun-18 13:21:49

Try some classes at your gym - body pump, spin etc.

retainertrainer Tue 12-Jun-18 13:24:16

Wow Alberta-that’s amazing!

I’m comfortable on the resistance machines but the free weight area is terrifying,it’s full of men grunting and lifting huge weights.

How long did it take you to build up to that? I suppose everyone has to start somewhere. I really enjoy the feeling of lifting weights (well the resistance machines) I’m very petite and it’s nice to feel myself getting stronger. I can’t go much cardio (health problem that’s exasperated by it) but the weights don’t aggravate it.

I’m 37,5ft2 8 stone 11.

unintentionalthreadkiller Tue 12-Jun-18 13:46:07

I do a mixture of HIIT, circuits and powerwave so it's all pretty much resistance based either body weight or actual weights. My body has changed so much since I started. Running was never going to tone my arms for example (and I hated it!).

Sammysquiz Tue 12-Jun-18 14:36:56

I run 3 times a week and do one BodyPump class. Does your gym do classes? They’re a great way to try new things.

Foxyloxy1plus1 Tue 12-Jun-18 15:34:30

I do three Zumba classes, two Booty Barre, Yoga, Pilates, dance and cardio each week. I’ve regained my waist and to ed up other bits, but there’s still a way to go, especially my arms. I’m old though.

AlbertaSimmons Tue 12-Jun-18 18:34:05

Hi OP, I'm 5ft 4 and weigh the same as you. I've been training every day for the past 5 or 6 years. I do a class of some sort ( Body Pump, HIIT, circuits etc) every day except Sunday and have a PT session concentrating on heavier weights once a week. I used to run a lot more than I do now, but knees are pretty much shot so I run a sub-30 minute 5k once or twice a week. I'm doing Tough Mudder next month.

noeffingidea Tue 12-Jun-18 18:40:04

Try more swimming. I've been swimming regularly for 6 years now, and the results are really showing now, especially my chest, arms and shoulders.

NotARegularPenguin Tue 12-Jun-18 18:45:19

Mon. Body balance and 50 min run.
Tues. body pump.
Weds. Day off.
Thurs. combat class or free weights then aqua aerobics.
Fri. Spin. Body pump
Sat. 50 min run, body balance, 90 mins free weights.
Sun. Body pump, body attack, core conditioning class.

Also cycle to Work twice a week, 3miles each way.

NotARegularPenguin Tue 12-Jun-18 18:46:37

I think weights would be your best bet for toning. Either a body pump class or get someone to show you free weight exercises. I saw a big difference when I moved from the resistance machines to the free weights.

Iamblossom Tue 12-Jun-18 18:50:38

noeffingidea what is your swim routine?

BurpeesAreTheWorkOfTheDevil Tue 12-Jun-18 18:53:29

Monday-group fight, walking free weights-legs sometimes HIIT if I feel like it
Tuesday- free weights-arms/shoulders, core stability, walking, boxercise
Weds-group core, group fight, group power (weight)
Thursday- legs bums and tums, free weights-back and arms,boxercise
Friday- free weights-abs/core,walking, HIIT, children workout
Saturday-walking, free weights- legs again
Sunday- walking/rest day/children workout/swimming

I do around 20,000 steps a day.
I don't stick religiously to only the part on the day, it's just a guide for myself on what I need to concentrate on, I do a lot of squats, sit ups, pull ups
anyway.
I also workout with the children Friday and Sunday so not as high intensity as my own workouts.

titsbumfannythelot Tue 12-Jun-18 18:56:33

That's amazing @AlbertaSimmons I'd love to be able to do a pull up one day.

Peacefulbanana Tue 12-Jun-18 18:57:59

crossfit! took me about 2 months to be able to to pull ups

noeffingidea Tue 12-Jun-18 19:00:14

lamblossom I swim for a minimum of 60-75 minutes, backstroke and breaststroke, usually 5 times a week (can't swim in school holidays though).
I don't follow a training routine though, or even count lengths, just throw in a few fast lengths now and again to make sure I keep my pace up.

retainertrainer Tue 12-Jun-18 19:00:46

Bloody hell you all sound fantastically fit! I’m a long way off all that but it’s something to aim for.

AlbertaSimmons Tue 12-Jun-18 19:01:00

titsbum keep at it, it will come.

Peacefulbanana Tue 12-Jun-18 19:01:01

if tou find a quality crossfit box its is also a great place to learn how to use the big heavy olympic weights correctly and look amazing doing it grin you realise most of the men in the commercial gyms are doing it totally wrong.. and how theres no need for the noises they make..

ShirleyPhallus Tue 12-Jun-18 19:05:01

6 years of swimming to be now seeing a result is a long time

Heavy weights / body weight resistance training will do it

dangermouseisace Tue 12-Jun-18 19:11:55

Running 3x a week, mainly trails, 2 of those runs are hilly. Running on trails engages more muscles than road/treadmill as you are having to maintain your balance more, and the hills are usually steeper.

I was doing vinyasa flow yoga, but I’ve joined a gym instead and I’ve started doing body pump once a week, and am trying to do a spin class once a week.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: