Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Reducing plastic from general life

(121 Posts)
MarthaArthur Tue 12-Jun-18 12:08:08

Im starting this thread as i am starting to reduce plastic from my every day life. Less waste. Less money spent and i am trying to reduce my beauty horde and minimise the use of harsh chemicals in favour of more natural. Anyone want to join in?

MarthaArthur Tue 12-Jun-18 12:09:05

I have started with reusable sanitary towels. They are incredible no more itchjng and sore rubbing and so easy to clean.

EmpressOfSpartacus Tue 12-Jun-18 12:18:48

I love my reusable sanitary towels.

Other things I've done:

Soap & shampoo bars instead of shampoo / shower gels & handwash in plastic bottles. I get them from www.wild-sage.co.uk/, my hair & skin love them & my bathroom smells nicer!

As well as reusable shopping bags, taking mesh fabric bags shopping for loose fruit & veg instead of using the supermarket-provided plastic ones.

Using an Eco Egg in my washing machine.

MarthaArthur Tue 12-Jun-18 12:28:47

Fab empress! I have like 20 bottles of half used face washes that are bad for my skin that im not sure what to do with. To use them or throw them or sell them. Not that anyone would buy them but charity shops wont take them.

I take my cloth tote bag shopping and use a reusable plastic water bottle thats refilled. I will look into that eco cleaner too!

MarthaArthur Tue 12-Jun-18 12:29:14

Thanks for the website im going to look at that now because i have been looking at lush bars.

MarthaArthur Tue 12-Jun-18 12:47:54

Henna hairdye and block make up and other things im going to try out.

BlueChampagne Tue 12-Jun-18 12:58:06

Take tupperware to butcher/cheese shop/deli instead of more plastic wrapping, or ask for things to be wrapped in paper.

MarthaArthur Tue 12-Jun-18 13:05:21

Great idea blue thanks. I have already started buying loose fruit and veg so thats a great idea. I saw a shop in london where everything is in glass bottles and you take your own container. I wish we had them everywhere.

EmpressOfSpartacus Tue 12-Jun-18 13:13:26

Thanks for the website im going to look at that now because i have been looking at lush bars.

You're welcome. I don't like Lush for various reasons & I decided I'd much rather support a small business.

VioletCharlotte Tue 12-Jun-18 13:23:08

Following with interest as I've made a commitment to myself to reduce the amount of plastic I use.

butteriesplease Tue 12-Jun-18 13:26:05

interested in this thread, but would be interested in cheaper ways to achieve this!

like the idea of a mesh bag for veg etc. Currently I just pop them loose in the wee section at the end of the trolley, then pop them into a bag at the end. I've had a few folk look at ask me all amazed if I don't want a plastic bag for my carrots, err no!

thnk biggest think is for shower gels, shampoo etc. Not sure I can covert family to soap bars! what conditioners come in non-plastic??

ZibbidooZibbidooZibbidoo Tue 12-Jun-18 13:30:16

Joining for ideas!

Also, I know cardboard is recyleable but is anyone else totally overwhelmed with how much stuff comes packed in mountains of cardboard?

MarthaArthur Tue 12-Jun-18 13:35:14

Zibbedoo yes when i get parcels delivered via amazon and its like an eyeliner pencil in a box big enough for a book or a vcr! Insane.

empress can i ask what it is about lush you dont like? My friend has said shes trying to avoid them as she doesnt like there ideas as well. Is it the spy cops thing?

Im looking at reducing waste and artifical chemicals on a budget as well so i hope i save money long term.

MarthaArthur Tue 12-Jun-18 13:42:24

Does anyone know what i can do with half used and used a couple of times facial washes or are they destined for the bin?

NannyR Tue 12-Jun-18 13:54:37

For general cleaning buy a refillable plant spray bottle and fill it with diluted star drops cleaner. It costs about 99p from home bargains and you only need a tiny squirt so it lasts ages. You can use it for mopping floors too.

Use an upturned plate to cover leftover food in the fridge rather than cling film and buy good quality food bags that you can wash and reuse many times (I probably wouldn't wash and reuse if they had had raw meat in though).IKEA food bags are really good for that. Same with foil, if you really need to use it, buy the heavy duty stuff and wash and reuse it.

NannyR Tue 12-Jun-18 13:55:51

Can you decant the face washes into a pump dispenser and use as hand soap?

MotherofPearl Tue 12-Jun-18 14:01:24

https://www.beeswaxwraps.co.uk/

These are good instead of cling film.

MarthaArthur Tue 12-Jun-18 14:06:10

Mother of pearl thts a good idea as well we have plastic washable food covers but we have always had them so i never thought about that as a thing. Great idea about the reusing tinfoil too.

I guess i could use the face wash as hand cleaner for the time being so thanks for that tip nannyr.

TheWineDarkSea Tue 12-Jun-18 14:06:28

I want to minimise our plastic use too, but with the constraint that DH is not up for anything that he has to do differently. So the rest of us are using bars of soap (except for the kitchen sink, where I want to keep the pump anti bac), but he’s not.

My main source of plastic is milk containers and shower gel / shampoo /conditioner. I’m going to investigate local milkmen, but the shower stuff is harder as I’m reluctant to change from products I know I’m not allergic to, as I can end up covered with eczema.

I’m also planning to look at bamboo toothbrushes, as we get through quite a few.

SirVixofVixHall Tue 12-Jun-18 14:09:18

I just bought some deodorant that is a stick packaged in cardboard. So great to not have a big plastic tube to throw away.
It is the Ben and Anna natural deodorant.

SirVixofVixHall Tue 12-Jun-18 14:10:45

Lush support the trans activist agenda, so the end of single sex spaces etc.

MarthaArthur Tue 12-Jun-18 14:15:31

Oh i also have a lavender neils yard spray on deodrant in a glass bottle but want to look at stick ones so i will look at ben and a na thanks.

Oh i didnt know that. See i like the sound of lush products but i dont like agendas or politicalness from a shop so i dont want to give my money to support that.

MarthaArthur Tue 12-Jun-18 14:33:13

Also i dont use cotton buds unless im cleaning a piercing so get paper stem ones rather than plastic and bin them never down te toilet.

I volunteer with a group and clean a beach once a month. I also email companies asking them to reduce plastic waste. So far coca cola and mcdonalds were the best responses.

Johnnycomelately1 Tue 12-Jun-18 14:36:28

I just got a bamboo toothbrush. It takes a bit of getting used to but it’s fine.

Namastethefuckawayfromme Tue 12-Jun-18 14:50:05

Could someone point me in the direction of decent reusable sanitary towels please?

I've never been able to get on with a mooncup (A nurse once told me that I have an interestingly shaped cervix confused) but I do hate the waste I
create every month!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: