Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Can anyone suggest some good 'thank you' presents to take to US hosts?

(64 Posts)
gonetolookforamerica Tue 12-Jun-18 11:40:56

We're visiting a number of US friends and relatives in a few weeks, some just for dinner, and some with whom we will be staying or using their house. I think I need some lovely English things to give them to say thank you - but they need to be light, and not too expensive.

Any suggestions?

Kattymanners Tue 12-Jun-18 11:42:24

Union Jack napkins
Tea towels

bakingdemon Tue 12-Jun-18 11:43:01

Fortnum and Mason tea, or their beautiful tins of biscuits, or Christmas puddings. Big bars of Cadbury's chocolate. Jars of marmalade. All things we've taken to US friends in the past.

bakingdemon Tue 12-Jun-18 11:43:23

Emma Bridgewater royal wedding tea towels!

SomeKnobend Tue 12-Jun-18 11:43:54

A nice scotch whisky.

Hoppinggreen Tue 12-Jun-18 11:45:25

When DH used to go to India a lot he always took a tin of M&S shortbread,

Tack Tue 12-Jun-18 11:47:39

I took a variety of chocolates when I went over to visit a friend over Thanksgiving few years back as I thought they be perfect after dinner treat.

His family were delighted at the bags of "Roses" and "Quality Street" especially, never seen a group of people so excited over differently flavoured chocolates! So I recommend them for sure!

gonetolookforamerica Tue 12-Jun-18 12:27:34

Thank you, some good ideas!

Are brands such as Emma Bridgewater or Cath Kidson known well enough in the US? I like the tea towels idea, although I've never actually seen our American friends dry up...

MaxPepsi Tue 12-Jun-18 13:05:01

Can you take larger amounts of things then make up mini hampers for each guest whilst There?

So a box of tea bags that come in individual sachets (twinings, Harrogate tea??) Packets of biscuits that come in their own wrappers, like you get in hotel rooms so borders biscuits? Toffees, chocolates etc etc

Then get some cheap cellophane bags from eBay and put them in those when you get There?? Add a tea towel, fridge magnet some scented tealights??

Semster Tue 12-Jun-18 13:27:02

Before you buy stuff look on somewhere like Walmart.com to see if it is easily available in the US. Eg shortbread and English tea you can buy really easily, and our local walmart sells Quality Street.

theoldtrout01876 Tue 12-Jun-18 13:50:37

Biscuits, American cookies SUCK. Id give my right arm for a chocolate hobnob or a fruit club that I didnt have to mortgage my first born to be able to afford from the import store.

Branston pickle, nothing like it here, HP and fruity sauce. A1 SUCKS

Decent marmalade, its orange jam here and SUCKS

Weird flavored crisps. They cant do weird flavors here every time they try, they SUCK

Those tiny little chocolate stars ( do you still get them) any British chocolate actually cos as we all know American chocolate SUCKS

Brown sugar cubes, never seen them here and my mates are all well impressed with white sugar cubes so Im sure the brown ones would go over well.

Zoflora I am dying to experience this just from the love threads on here, nothing like it, its all lemon or bloody pine

Mint source body wash. Went down a massive treat.

MMM Im sure I can come up with others. Ive been here 30 years and there are some things I miss

OOOH the best thing I was ever brought was a bottle of Somerset Apple Cider Brandy, warmth in a bottle and 15 years later I still think about it fondly. Also good dark rum, at least in my neck of the woods it cant be had.

UserX Tue 12-Jun-18 13:56:59

theoldtrout01876 — these are your opinions as an expat. I can assure you that many Americans are quite happy with the cookies available to them.

If you are visiting expats OP then ask them what they’re craving. Otherwise I’d go for tea towels from John Lewis or similar.

theoldtrout01876 Tue 12-Jun-18 14:23:12

UserX bit snippy there yeah?

Im sure Americans are quite happy with the cookies available to them, poor buggers know no better do they?

smileyhappypeople Tue 12-Jun-18 14:25:09

Everyone I know who lives in America always loves English chocolate... Cadbury's etc because their chocolate is rubbish

thinkfast Tue 12-Jun-18 14:46:58

For some reason my overseas relatives always want crumpets and Cadbury's flakes.

Whereabouts in the uk do you live? If in London the gift shops and Buckingham palace or the queens mews do so really lovely things which would be very portable such as tea towels/ scarves / Xmas baubles / tea spoons etc

UserX Tue 12-Jun-18 14:47:42

theoldtrout01876 what kind of backwater do you live in where you can’t get sugar cubes?

TakeAChanseyOnMe Tue 12-Jun-18 14:49:24

Percy Pigs? Won’t melt if it’s warm.

Agree Fortnum and Mason biscuits - do they do the musical tins all year round or just at Christmas?

SenecaFalls Tue 12-Jun-18 14:50:01

I would suggest things that are not food. Almost all British foodstuffs are available in the US now, many even in neighborhood supermarkets.

TakeAChanseyOnMe Tue 12-Jun-18 14:50:31

www.fortnumandmason.com/products/mini-merry-go-round-musical-biscuit-tin-220g?taxon_id=817 This one.

SenecaFalls Tue 12-Jun-18 14:51:51

Decent marmalade, its orange jam here and SUCKS

Not true. British marmalade is easily obtainable.

Kattymanners Tue 12-Jun-18 14:55:59

The old trout sums up my experience of American food perfectly grin

Except sees candy...now that is nice

LuMarie Tue 12-Jun-18 14:58:26

If your friends have kids and not too many of them...

I send outfits for my friends' kids every year at Christmas to my friends in California. Girls' party dresses, little cute shoes and baby outfits like jeans and cute jumper for little boy.

My friends love it and it surprised me when I started doing it to find that they used the outfits for Christmas day, parties and formal photos! It's special because when their own american friends ask where the kids' outfits or shoes are from, my friends happily say "Europe!" and apparently a lot of people ask because the clothes are really lovely and it's harder to find things like that in the state they live in (California). So they love them.

Easy to put in your case, I just buy a size or two up to be sure and because I always do that with clothes for kids when it's a gift! Gives the parents a chance not to buy doubles or end up with a million little things that the baby grows out of before they have a chance to wear.

Semster Tue 12-Jun-18 15:08:10

I would suggest things that are not food. Almost all British foodstuffs are available in the US now, many even in neighborhood supermarkets.

Yes - I get Branston, Marmite, marmalade, custard powder, golden syrup, digestives, hob nobs, British chocolate, Colman's mustard in my local Shaws. I get crumpets in Trader Joes. Shortbread, PGTips and good chocolate in pretty much every grocery store.

The things I ask people to bring are decaff teabags - any brand - and I like nice tins with pretty much anything in them. And I love John Lewis stuff - mum brought me teatowels last time she was over.

TakeAChanseyOnMe Tue 12-Jun-18 15:18:57

Oh yes, tea bags depending on where they live. When I visited Florida the supermarkets had 100s of iced tea bags and only one for hot tea! It was Lipton’s and a tiny box. This was a while ago though so might have changed as tea is very trendy now.

gonetolookforamerica Tue 12-Jun-18 18:56:16

Not in London, but I like the food in nice tins suggestions. And Percy Pigs for their kids.

Basically they are all Americans, but pretty well-travelled ones so they have probably tried lots of traditionally British food.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: