Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Best 'life admin' system??

(32 Posts)
sausagerole Tue 12-Jun-18 11:34:39

I need a method for keeping all the various plates spinning - can anyone recommend me an approach to home/life admin?!

I've switched to taking photos/scanning letters as they arrive so they're stored electronically, use google calendar synced across phones/laptops etc.

I kind of want a tracker where I can keep on top of chasing up emails etc - I deal with alot of professionals who are like "Yeah, that'll be with you in a week" and I want to be able to have some sort of schedule that lets me know when to follow it up if it hasn't happened. Does anyone have/do anything like this?

Any other admin/paperwork tips are much appreciated!

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Tue 12-Jun-18 12:00:38

I put everything in my to do list app. (I use 2Do.) So if I got an email like that I'd immediately put a reminder in for when to chase up.

I used to think I'd remember things but now I just put every single thing in. Also I get a little sense of achievement from ticking things off, which helps motivate me to do them.

Maybe there's an easier way to do it though so I'll be watching the thread with interest smile

MrsMint Tue 12-Jun-18 12:46:44

I just have simple typed lists for example one titled PARCELS where I list everything I have ordered and I simply delete things off the list once received. If you put the date expected beside the item you could simply contact them if not received - keep things simple is my motto!

ikeepaforkinmypurse Tue 12-Jun-18 12:47:17

I just use good old Outlook, so everything is in one place.All my emails from various email accounts, private and work ones, all in different folders, but the reminders all come on my phone/laptop/work computer.

It works so far, so I haven't really look for a more modern solution.

Sauvignonblanket Tue 12-Jun-18 12:51:51

I've started using Trello - you can attach things incl emails, add checklists and set dates/reminders, plus other things too.

SciFiFan2015 Tue 12-Jun-18 12:52:30

What is the main way you access the emails? If outlook flag for follow up and/or drag into task list.

NoStraightEdges Tue 12-Jun-18 12:58:31

I use my phone calender for everything. So if I'm expecting something in a week, I schedule an item for one week's time so it pings at me to remind me.

I also have a week to view pad that I put stuff in in the kitchen so I can see where we all need to be at a glance.

I also file any letters and stuff immediately. And I have a document file thing in the wall for each of us, so any school letter go straight in the right child's slot.

I find the only way is to be really responsive to stuff to make sure it's done as soon as it comes into the house.

sausagerole Tue 12-Jun-18 13:42:20

Thanks for these - I use gmail and google calendar. Have just been checking out Trello - it's exactly what I need! Thanks!

KirstenRaymonde Tue 12-Jun-18 13:43:23

You need Bullet journaling

sausagerole Tue 12-Jun-18 13:47:46

What I like about Trello is that I can change the due date of an item, whereas with an entry in a calendar you have to delete it and then re-enter it at for a later date manually. I love how it tracks the things you're currently 'doing' too, which is kind of what I want - an overview of things I'm shelving for a while, things currently in progress and things I've done.

sausagerole Tue 12-Jun-18 13:53:11

Tell me more about bullet journalling though please!

funnyfoursome Tue 12-Jun-18 13:56:44

Is bullet journalling really time consuming to set up? All the examples I've seen in Instagram look like you have to spend an evening making a beautiful chart by hand every month?

MotherofPearl Tue 12-Jun-18 14:03:38

Some people swear by Wunderlist, though I generally use a paper diary and calendar. blush

NoSquirrels Tue 12-Jun-18 14:11:29

If you like the look of Trello, and how you describe what you want from an organising system, you should probably read up on Getting Things Done (GTD) by David Allen. There's an article on it here in tandem with Trello, but maybe read up about the GTD system anyway.

blog.trello.com/gtd-getting-things-done-maximizing-productivity-trello

DoctorStrange Tue 12-Jun-18 14:16:04

Omnifocus with the 'Getting Things Done' method sounds like the perfect solution for you.
So, to use your email example, you'd receive a reply from someone telling you they'll get back to you within a week. You then add a new task into OmniFocus saying 'chase up Sharon if no reply received' with a due date of 19th June. If this is in relation to a specific project (say, a cake for a work event) you can add this task to that project. In a week this task will show up as 'due' - if she's emailed back, great! Tick it off as done. If not, send the email chasing her up.

At this point I'd probably add another to-do that's due in a few days to chase her up again if still no reply.

Bullet journaling just does not work for me but I find OmniFocus easy to integrate into my daily workflow.

Alanamackree Tue 12-Jun-18 14:28:22

There’s bullet journaling and bullet journalling hmm
Ignore the arty farty stuff and the concept is really simple:
You have one list so all your to-do’s, appointments for a day go one one list. At the end of the day you start a list for the next day and carry over the things not done.

There’s a simple code that you put on the side of the list to indicate if it’s a
• to do
o appointment
> something for the future

And you make a monthly calendar (if that’s the time period that works for you) too.

It’s very simple, and I can’t really explain why it is so effective but it has transformed my life!

I find it easier to see where my time has gone, plan effectively instead of over stretching myself, and prioritize well.

If you like lists I think it’s brilliant

KirstenRaymonde Tue 12-Jun-18 14:31:20

Go on YouTube and watch Ryder Carroll (the creator of the system) video on setting up a bullet journal. It can be as basic or as pretty as you want, that’s the beauty of it, it’s completely flexible

WhoKnowsWhereTheW1neGoes Tue 12-Jun-18 14:36:38

I use a bullet journal, no pretty or fancy stuff whatsoever, just lots of lists and plans. Also use a joint calendar on our phones, reminders on my phone and try and act on letters from school etc as soon as they arrive. Go through emails once a day to delete, file or action. Quite a few still get left hanging, but I clear them properly every month.

Glaciferous Tue 12-Jun-18 14:37:47

Boomerang is good if you use Gmail. You can set it to pop emails back into your inbox if they haven't been answered. Also, I write emails to myself about stuff that needs following up and set it to send it to me when it needs chasing. It's free.

Monkee4 Tue 12-Jun-18 21:00:35

Good lord bullet journal looks so complicated to me! What if you carry so much over from last month that there is nowhere to put that month's tasks..... ? it would stress me out! but each to their own. I agree about doing things straight away is the only way. I used to work with a girl who had 5 children and worked full time. She was fantastic and did every task straight away as soon as it was given to her. She also got up at 6.30am and hoovered her house every day! She was great. Respect....

noodlezoodle Tue 12-Jun-18 21:22:17

I'm another person who uses a to-do app (and secretly love ticking things off the list). I use TeuxDeux because it's really simple and if you don't complete an item on the day you had listed, it automatically rolls over to the next day. It's not free though - I think it's about $20 a year. I have it open on my laptop when I'm at my desk and the app on my phone.

WipsGlitter Tue 12-Jun-18 21:36:12

I think I need to do a mid week planning session so looking ahead for 10 days or so and working out what needs sorted jn advance. I have it's in my work calendar and phone calendar but it's what I need to do in advance of things that catches me out. Eg buy a party present, book a hair appointment in time, book a babysitter etc.

MumofBoysx2 Tue 12-Jun-18 23:01:22

For us we have our phone calendars, so put reminders, both one-offs and regulars in there. Then a calendar in the kitchen so that we can see each other's stuff (and the kids') so that we don't double book anything. -- Absolutely no post-it notes all over my desk and laptop at all-- blush

Bettyfood Wed 13-Jun-18 13:58:41

Google Keep is very good and simple.

Bettyfood Wed 13-Jun-18 14:00:20

I put things into it whenever I think about it and set a reminder if I might forget. It also stops my brain feeling overloaded. You can even dictate notes and the speech recognition is pretty good. It also integrates with Google calendar.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: