Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Dairy free diet advice please! What are the best substitutes?

(33 Posts)
Starjar Tue 12-Jun-18 11:03:18

So I'm sitting outside a big Tesco (feeding the baby!) and have just been told to go on a dairy and soy free diet. Have never done this before. What do I buy? What milk is best? What chocolate products?

fraggle84 Tue 12-Jun-18 11:54:49

For you or the baby? Dd was dairy & sky’s free for 2 years

- koko milk & yoghurts
-

Eeeeek2 Tue 12-Jun-18 11:59:40

Oat milk, oatly do a barista that is good in tea/coffee.

Vitolite do good marg and cheese.

Sainsbury's do a really good chocolate brownie and other treat things.

Tesco free from yogurts are good

Eeeeek2 Tue 12-Jun-18 12:05:16

Nice curry recipe, can spice it up with extra chillie if you like it hot.

Homepride do a pasta bake,called extra veg tomato courgette and pepper that is dairy free (only found it in Morrisons and Sainsbury’s) obviously don't add the cheese on. Great as a store cupboard last minute dinner.

sparklypinkshit Tue 12-Jun-18 12:08:37

Oatly oat milk
Co-yo or coconut collaborative coconut yoghurt
I think some Pure spreads are soyfree?

LadysFingers Tue 12-Jun-18 12:09:24

I just tried almond milk and oat milk, left over from when DD had to go dairy free for a month. Both were nice, although I preferred almond milk's flavour. I could quite happily drink either, if I had to give up dairy.

Livedandlearned Tue 12-Jun-18 12:11:30

Oatly oat milk is best for tea and coffee, almond milk just doesn't do it for me, nor rice milk.

FurryScoob Tue 12-Jun-18 12:19:09

Tesco’s own bourbons are dairy free & so are their apple & blackberry pies
Ben & Jerry’s do a dairy free ice cream too.
Asda have dairy free rocky road squares.

fraggle84 Tue 12-Jun-18 13:07:02

For chocolate get Moo free

There’s a chocolate spread in the free from section by nature’s store that’s really good

For gravy use knorr gravy pots, the liquid stick pot type

Birds custard powder in the tub is also great when made with koko milk, I add cocoa powder for a chocolate version. Not the instant packs though just the tub

Most fish fingers are ok

Sleepyblueocean Tue 12-Jun-18 13:30:17

Pure sunflower spread

SwearingMakesEverythingBetter Tue 12-Jun-18 13:39:09

Alpro makes a lot of soya and other dairy free products that are all really good - milk substitutes, puddings, custard - and they're widely available.

Green and Black's dark chocolate is vegan. So are lots of supermarket biscuits - just check the label. Milk is a common allergen so it will always be highlighted.

Sainsbury's Free From range is good too.

SwearingMakesEverythingBetter Tue 12-Jun-18 13:41:33

Oh and Swedish Glacé ice cream is vegan and really nice!

User0ne Tue 12-Jun-18 14:04:41

Oreos are dairy free. Also if you like baking coconut oil is your friend, you need to use less than normal butter by about a third I've found

Bl7589 Tue 12-Jun-18 14:08:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sparklypinkshit Tue 12-Jun-18 14:19:15

If soya isn’t allowed steer clear of alpro custard - try oatly custard or make your own with Bird’s custard powder from a tub and some oatly milk

BlankTimes Tue 12-Jun-18 18:33:46

@SwearingMakesEverythingBetter

Please read the OP. OP has said Dairy and Soy free

Lots of Alpro products are soy based

Swedish Glace is made with soy.
www.wallsswedishglace.co.uk/products/vanilla/
"Wonderfully smooth and made with soy our delicious dairy-free vanilla ice cream never fails to hit the sweet spot."

OP, don't listen to recommendations alone, read all the labels for yourself flowers

Twilight456 Tue 12-Jun-18 18:36:03

I love almond milk, I'm not intolerant to cows milk but drink almond as i love the taste of it in porridge and granola- not sure what its like in coffee though as have that black!

AlicesRabbitHole Tue 12-Jun-18 19:05:40

Fry's Chocolate Cream are vegan.

Starjar Tue 12-Jun-18 19:13:33

Wow, thanks everyone! Sorry if I wasn't clear- it's for the baby's possible intolerance but I'm breastfeeding.

ZetaPuppis Tue 12-Jun-18 19:19:27

Coconut and almond milk is lovely for porridge.
Bourbon biscuits are usually dairy free.
Lots of cake recipes can be made using oil instead of butter

dangermouseisace Tue 12-Jun-18 19:20:02

Oat milk is good- I like the fresh stuff.
Booja booja ice cream is made with cashews and you would never know. I’ve only had the chocolate but my kids prefer it to dairy. Their chocolate is yum too, though pricey.
You can make lots of things with cashews. the minimalist baker has a good vegan Parmesan recipe using nutritional yeast/cashews. You can make cheese/cheesecake with cashews.

Greenwomanofmay Tue 12-Jun-18 19:22:47

I know you’re at Tesco but Sainsbury’s onion flavour cheddar style cheese made from coconut is really quite good

AlbusPercival Tue 12-Jun-18 19:23:39

Ben and Jerry’s dairy free contains Soy, as does most Swedish glacé, except one which is coconut based.

Lots of milk replacements are crap in tea, but PG tips does a special blend designed to go with them

Almond milk is generally delicious, especially in hot chocolate

Be aware that vegan does not mean dairy free. There may be traces of milk which legally will be declared on the pack.

Achafi Tue 12-Jun-18 19:25:33

Koko yoghurt, oatly milk, lidl digestive biscuits and pure sunflower spread (works really well to bake with) Hovis best of both has added calcium to help you up your calcium levels

randomsabreuse Tue 12-Jun-18 19:30:53

I did that for a while (plus egg).

Some tips...

Fake pizza with a pitta, hummus and tomato puree plus toppings was ok. Better than fake cheese for me.

Some Bourbons are ok.

Moo Free chocolate if you like milk chocolate. Otherwise check labels but the 70% dark in Tesco and Sainsbury's own ranges was ok. Some of the posher brands have some that are ok too.

Watch crisps- dairy in Salt and Vinegar and quite a lot of more exotic flavours and sweet chilli which was a pain).

Childishly I liked the dark chocolate almond milk best on cereal but also had almond and coconut.

Oatly do a cream and creme Fraiche substitute which were ok.

Watch sorbets - lemon most prone to dairy but all might.

There's some coconut based ice creams and yoghurts.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: