Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What do your 7/8/9 year olds eat on an average day?

(26 Posts)
BlueTrousers Tue 12-Jun-18 09:20:21

Just that really, I have a 7 & 8 (almost 9) year old and I just can’t fill them atm, they are constantly going to get food and I struggled to put lunch boxes together this morning because they’d bloody eaten everything
I don’t know if they’re not eating enough, or ignore I’m just buying too many snacks and they’re being a bit greedy

I’m also struggling at the min to think of different things for breakfast & lunch & snacks and wondered whether I’m trying too hard to make things different and whether others don’t fret about that

What do other children of this age eat on an average day?

OddestSock Tue 12-Jun-18 09:36:18

I’ve got a 7 (almost 8 year old) & a 6 1/2 year old.
A typical day would be a bowl of porridge for breakfast, a snack mid-morning (babybel, a piece of fruit, or some cheese biscuits), lunch - a wrap with cheese in, cucumber, breadsticks, a handful of strawberries.
They’ll have something when they get in from school - a banana, apple, yesterday was a bowl each of frozen peas (their choice!).
At tea time, chilli with rice/spag bol/baked potato with cheese & beans etc.

Babybearsporij Tue 12-Jun-18 09:51:01

My 7 year old seems to be constantly hungry at the moment, but I can tell it's growth spurt time by fit of clothes etc.

Breakfast - 2 weetabix with quirt of honey & milk, milk to drink
Snack at school - fruit
Lunch - school dinners, so cooked meal with pudding
After school snack - rice cakes / peanut butter / fruit etc
Tea - something like jacket potato with cheese & beans, pasta bake, risotto, picnic tea, fishcakes etc. Usually followed by fruit or yoghurt or jelly.

And in the past couple of growing weeks it's been "I'm hungryyyyyyy" before bed, so fruit toast / bagel thin / banana / porridge and sometimes a hot chocolate before bed.

AJPTaylor Tue 12-Jun-18 09:55:07

my tip. keep non perishable lunch stuff in the boot of the car. needed this with teens.

NualaCassia Tue 12-Jun-18 10:05:05

7 and 9 here. The 9yr old is just getting his appetite back after being poorly but generally it’s something like

Breakfast: Porridge and banana or Poached eggs on toast
Morning Tea: Fruit, school supply milk
Lunch: Cold (Leftover) Sausages, Chicken Drumsticks, Tuna/Mayo/Sweetcorn or flask of leftovers, yogurt, some veg sticks and a slice of homemade banana/fruit bread
Afternoon tea: Usually carrots/cucumber/capsicum with hummus or cream cheese or Apple slices/celery and Peanut butter
Dinner: Whatever really. Chicken or fish burgers and salad, spaghetti and meatballs, chicken/salmon and rice/veggies, Lasagne, Roast dinner etc

If they’re still hungry, Fruit and Jelly.

Portion sizes change based on growth spurts/illnesses etc

Bicnod Tue 12-Jun-18 10:16:38

I have a nearly 7 year old and 9 year old (both boys). Typical day:

Breakfast: 3 or 4 Weetabix with milk, honey and cup of milk.

Mid morning snack: fruit at school or nothing (!)

Lunch: either school dinners (small portion hot food + pudding) or lunch box: round of cheese or ham sandwiches, veg (carrots, cucumber, pepper), yoghurt, crisps, box drink.

Post school snack: lots of fruit + cereal bar + oat cakes

Dinner: huge bowl of pasta/3 or 4 fish fingers or sausages with potatoes and veg/ 2 boiled eggs, soldiers, loads of veg sticks/shepherds pie and veg etc etc + yoghurt + unlimited fruit.

If they have activities after school they usually have extra snacks: peanut butter toast or peanut butter oat cakes, snack bar etc.

Asmallrole Tue 12-Jun-18 10:17:05

My DD would love this problem. DGS (7) is THE worst eater.
Breakfast - porridge ( only with golden syrup) orange or apple juice
Mid morning - fruit (only likes grapes or strawberries or melon)
School lunch - who knows what or how much he eats
After school - a chocolate or yogurt covered rice cake
Tea - wont eat potatoes in any form, rice or bread. Pasta has to be plain with no sauce or cheese. Chicken or sausages or meatballs only. Will sometimes eat fish fingers or chicken goujons. One type of yogurt only. Fruit as above.
Drinks very little. Wont eat salad or veg other than cucumber or brocolli.

GoldenHoops Tue 12-Jun-18 10:29:32

Breakfast
Poached eggs/scrambled eggs with mushrooms,tomatoes and toast.

Packed lunch
Tuna/chicken salad wrap or roll
Banana

Dinner.
Salmon,dill and parsley sauce, new potatoes, carrots, broccoli and cauliflower.
Fruit jelly and Ice cream.

None of them tend to snack but if they are hungry they just say.

BlueTrousers Tue 12-Jun-18 13:38:57

Hmm all sounds pretty similar except everyone else’s breakfasts sound better (my kids won’t eat porridge, weetabix or eggs) and all other kids seem to stop eating after dinner whereas mine just keep going and going until I say no more, so maybe I just need to up their portion sizes at dinner, we also only have pudding on a Sunday and I notice most here have a little one every day, maybe I’ll try that too

Do the packed lunchers take the same thing every day?
I always seem to have a lot of different stuff in because I don’t want them to have the same thing every day and also if they have a yoghurt with breakfast for example I always think they won’t want another yoghurt in their lunch bag, same with fruit, and then I think ‘well they’ve had that for breakfast/lunch so won’t want it for after school snack’ then there’s soooo many different bits and bobs in I think the temptation is too much and they eat it all - am I overthinking it?

CasparMum Tue 12-Jun-18 14:24:40

I have an 8yo boy

Breakfast - fruit and yogurt (or just fruit)
Mid-morning - fruit (at school)
Lunch - school dinners, so something cooked and a pudding
After school - fruit
Dinner - fish, meat, halloumi BBQ (at the moment), with veg or salad.
Milk before bed

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 12-Jun-18 14:31:05

I have a 7 and a half yr old.

Typical day would he something like

1 poached/fried/boiled egg on toast/with soldiers (1 slice)

Think they still get fruit in school mid morning. No snacks at home atbweekend though.

Lunch- tuna/ham/chicken sandwich (1 slice of bread) veg sticks , handful of plain popcorn, yogurt, a piece of fruit.

Tea- whatever really. Child size portion of spag bol or curry and rice or soup and a roll witg sone fruit either fresh or tinned for pudding.

ImAGoofyGoober Tue 12-Jun-18 14:36:03

My 8 year old is bottomless pit! Constantly on the scrounge for more food.

An average day looks like this :
*Breakfast - toast and peanut butter or weetabix
*Apple for school break
*Lunch is either a sandwich or pasta (tuna sweet corn is a fave)
*After school snack of celery/carrot sticks
*Dinner can vary but is something like an omelette with beans/some sort of meat dish.

Occasionally have pud but nothing massive, usually a frozen frube or fruit.

ProseccoandPizza Tue 12-Jun-18 14:49:06

7yo DS definitely going through a growth spurt as well as 9yo DS.

Coco pops/Shreddies/Scrambled egg with toast/Toasted muffins/Fruit for breakfast

Snack in school is always fruit.

Lunch is school dinners (for fish and roast dinner days) or packed lunch with either sandwiches or cheese and crackers.
Cocktail sausages/Pepperoni/Salami
Yoghurt
Portion of grapes
Small chocolate bar
Small bag of crisps
Sometimes a small cake slice or flapjack

After school small bag of crisps/cookies/ice lolly

Dinner chicken breast with potatoes/veg
3 Fish fingers and waffles
97% pork sausages with mash/Yorkshire pudding/veg
Roast dinner with roasties and veg
Pasta and meatballs

With either mousse/yoghurt/ice cream/cake for dessert.

Often request milk and cookie before bed too.

Bottomless pits who eat the same size portion of protein as me. Both are around 4”5 and wearing 8-9 clothes.

BlackInk Tue 12-Jun-18 16:20:37

My DS will be 9 in July.

A typical weekday would be:

BREAKFAST
Slice of toast and marmite
Plain yoghurt with a bit of fruit and cereal sprinkled on
Water

PACKED LUNCH
Peanut butter sandwich
Cucumber slices
Apple
Crisps or cereal bar
(He often doesn't eat all this but finishes it up when he gets home from school - too eager to get out and play football with his friends)

TEA
New potatoes (3 or 4 small ones) with hummus, 2 falafels, olives, tomatoes and peppers
Half an orange
Small bit of chocolate or sweets (we always seem to have some from parties etc.)

At weekend he tends to have a 3rd breakfast (!) which is usually something like a croissant or a piece of toast and chocolate spread. Other meals pretty similar but probably with the odd biscuit or cake, especially if we go and visit relatives.

Sounds like a lot, but portions are fairly small compared to some families I think. He's an average sort of size.

He tends to claim hunger when he's bored, but will also often keep on begging for more food after lunch or tea. He usually gives up when I tell him he can have a carrot or a stick of celery...

BearSoFair Tue 12-Jun-18 17:06:33

8yo DS2 on a normal day

Breakfast: toast/toasted muffins/bagel or Weetabix/porridge
Packed lunch: filled pitta/wrap/cold pasta salad/mini chicken skewers, apple or pear, cheese cubes or cheesestring, small chocolate bar or 2 biscuits
After school: Couple of crackers/breadsticks or a small packet of crisps
Dinner: Whatever we're all having so it can vary, tonight is chinese style pork and noodles with beanshoots
Occasionally he has a yoghurt or banana in the evening but not always

TeacupDrama Tue 12-Jun-18 17:20:09

breakfast for 8 year old DD

milk or hot chocolate sugar free cereals or toast with butter no jam or banana muffin (occasionally) if still hungry which she usually isn't in mornings a banana

lunch 2x week school lunch rest packed lunch cheese sandwich 1 slice of bread carton of apple juice satsuma and yogurt

today really hot so 1 small scoop of icecream and water when home from school & handful of grapes
she has been running around for 2 hours in garden so she may get plain cracker or biscuit as its still 90 minutes till dinner
dinner normally about 7pm southern fried chicken new potatoes roast cherry tomatoes red cabbage peas
pineapple for dessert no snacks after dinner

BlueTrousers Tue 12-Jun-18 17:43:41

Ok the last few look like a lot more food than I give my two blush

BlueTrousers Tue 12-Jun-18 17:50:12

I love the tip about keeping stuff in the car btw Taylor I’m definitely going to do that

formerbabe Tue 12-Jun-18 17:51:02

7 year old has... breakfast.... croissant, apple, small yoghurt, glass of milk.

Lunch... sandwich/pasta salad with crudités, treat like a chocolate biscuit bar.

Snack after school...biscuit with glass of milk

Dinner... chicken, potatoes, veg...fairly small portion.
Pudding...ice cream or small slice of cake

Snack before bed...toast, cucumber slices, banana depending on how hungry.

Sounds like a lot but portions are fairly small.

AJPTaylor Tue 12-Jun-18 18:24:48

i do think a big dinner and decent pud may be your answer

BlueTrousers Tue 12-Jun-18 18:48:37

Thank you all for the answers by the way, they’ve been really helpful smile

steamboatwilly123 Wed 13-Jun-18 11:16:12

I can't fill my youngest 2 up, though both are at the ideal weight (according to the school nurse...). They are 5 and 7 and yesterday had:

*Big bowl of porridge made with whole milk, with some chopped fruit and a bit of honey on each and a glass of milk.

*Packed lunch of ham/ Philly sandwiches, 2 yoghurts, a packet of crisps, veg sticks, a small piece of homemade flapjack, and apple and a small water bottle (all eaten except the apple hmm).

*After school: small bowl of cereal, breadsticks, banana and anything else they can find usually....confused

*Tea: pasta with quorn chicken and mushroom tomato sauce and half a bun made into garlic bread (all eaten) plus Greek yoghurt and honey for after. That's it til the morning.
Up until half term they were both on school dinners, but they were miserable and starving after school, so they seem slightly more satisfied with a packed lunch (though they got free school dinners, so my pocket appreciated it...lol). Honestly I don't know where they put it. I have 3 other kids (2 teens and a 12 year old who eats less than her brothers), majority of my money goes on food grin

Bicnod Wed 13-Jun-18 12:06:34

Mine have pretty much the same in their lunch boxes every time they have one. I don't think kids this age care too much about variety!

WickedLazy Wed 13-Jun-18 12:13:45

Ds aged 7 has fruit and something bready it cereal for breakfast, a pancake and a banana etc, lunch is school dinner, usually a snack (yoghurt, biscuit, fruit or similar it varies from day to day) at about 3-4, dinner at about 6, desert after (usually ice cream or fruit), then sometimes a light snack after at about 7 (usually something more savoury like half a slice of toast). His weight is right for his height. He eats lots fruit and veg but won't touch salad.

WickedLazy Wed 13-Jun-18 12:14:12

*bready or

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: