Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Birmingham

(24 Posts)
MummytoCSJH Tue 12-Jun-18 08:52:01

Wasn't sure where to put this so apologies if it's in the wrong topic!
I was taking my 15yo sister to a concert in Birmingham tonight as part of an early birthday present but it has now been cancelled and rescheduled. We've already paid in full for the train and hotel and they are non refundable so we are travelling and staying over tonight anyway. Any recommendations of things to do or places to go this afternoon/early evening? We are still going to go out for a nice meal wherever she chooses but I can't think of anything to do in Birmingham that we wouldn't be able to do at home as we live on the outskirts of a big city with good connections. (If it were with an older friend I'd go to all the bars!)

Thanks in advance.

StruggsToFunc Tue 12-Jun-18 09:17:02

What’s the concert venue?

MummytoCSJH Tue 12-Jun-18 09:20:29

Arena Birmingham.

NoStraightEdges Tue 12-Jun-18 09:21:38

Where are you staying?

What do you like to do?

Babybearsporij Tue 12-Jun-18 09:21:40

Go to Cadbury World.

Goingalonenow Tue 12-Jun-18 09:22:31

Is the Hotel near Broad Street or elsewhere?

Kattymanners Tue 12-Jun-18 09:22:33

Canal boat ride / meal in brindley place

senua Tue 12-Jun-18 09:25:11

What's On Stage

FleshLiabilities Tue 12-Jun-18 09:26:52

Is that the old NEC?

Whereabouts is your hotel, anywhere near Broad Street?

NaiceBiscuits Tue 12-Jun-18 09:27:56

Do you mean the Genting Arena, near the airport? You can easily get a train into town from there.

Canal boat ride in Brindley Place (just off Broad Street)
Some decent bars/clubs on and around Broad Street (If either of you are LGBT then there's the gay quarter)

Cadbury World near Bournville (you can get a train from town (Moor St Station) to Bournville station and then walk)

MummytoCSJH Tue 12-Jun-18 09:30:00

We are just staying in a Travelodge nearby. Cheapest bog standard one as we didnt think we'd be there most of the night so not really any facilities there to use! It is the one on Broad Street. To be honest we both don't get out much, me due to studying and my 4yo, and my sister struggles with anxiety and several phobias (so much she is home schooled) but she really wanted to go to this concert. Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone.

NaiceBiscuits Tue 12-Jun-18 09:31:09

Oh yes, and there's loads of theatres in town:

New Alexandria
The Rep
Crescent
The Hippodrome
The Old Joint Stock
The Palace

NoStraightEdges Tue 12-Jun-18 09:32:40

There are the Back to Back houses, miles of canals, fancy shopping (Grand Central and the Mailbox) The museum of the jewellery quarter, the coffin works, the Botanical Gardens, Winterbourne Gardens,
And if you still want a gig, [[ hareandhoundskingsheath.skiddletickets.com/event.php?id=13180574 this is on tonight]]

StruggsToFunc Tue 12-Jun-18 09:32:43

Just looked at the theatre listings and unfortunately there’s very little on tonight. How about a film at the Electric Cinema on Station St?

MummytoCSJH Tue 12-Jun-18 09:32:46

It's this one (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arena_Birmingham) , not the NEC or Genting but it is owned by the same group. She's only 15yo but I'd love the bars grin

MummytoCSJH Tue 12-Jun-18 09:33:53

Thank you for all of your ideas I'll show them to my sister on the train. I'm sure she won't mind at least one of them!

SnugglySnerd Tue 12-Jun-18 09:36:47

See what's on at the Electric cinema.

NoStraightEdges Tue 12-Jun-18 09:37:03

Behind your hotel is Brindley Place, which is canal side and near to the new fancy library. You can have a lovely stroll round there and do a canal boat trip like a water taxi up to the mail box, which is nice. Broad Street in the daytime is a bit grey.

senua Tue 12-Jun-18 09:37:39

Live Brum

FizzingWhizzbee Tue 12-Jun-18 09:39:03

This museum is fascinating - it is a perfectly preserved jewellery workshop. The owners retired and shut it down. They locked up as usual and no one ever went back. I loved it there so much:
www.birminghammuseums.org.uk/jewellery

And the jewellery quarter is fun for a walk around anyway - lots of sparkly things to windowshop for.

EduCated Tue 12-Jun-18 09:39:44

Grand Central and the Bullring are open until 8.

FleshLiabilities Tue 12-Jun-18 09:44:51

You've got the Sea Life centre nearby and there are loads of restaurants, if you want some 'nicer' food I'd recommend giving Broad St a miss and going to St Paul's Square or Newhall St (Asha's and Itihaas are really good if you like Indian food).

StruggsToFunc Tue 12-Jun-18 10:01:14

The Sea Life Centre closes at 4pm, with last admission at 3.

NoStraightEdges Wed 13-Jun-18 07:16:54

Hey Mummy just wondering if you and your sister had a nice time?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: