Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

My 14 year old scouted by model agent

(36 Posts)
mrsgirond Mon 11-Jun-18 21:06:30

This happened over the weekend in London. We’ve had a follow up email inviting her in to chat and get some Polaroids done. Has anyone else had their teen scouted in this way? If so where did it lead? I want to manage expectations without putting dampers on too much! Thanks.

TeenTimesTwo Mon 11-Jun-18 21:17:07

Have you searched up the agency name to check they are reputable and won't charge £££ for photos without a reasonable hope of work?
<No other knowledge whatsoever>

KirstenRaymonde Mon 11-Jun-18 21:18:29

Yeh you need to google the agency and remember no reputable agency will ask you to pay for pictures.

Namethecat Mon 11-Jun-18 21:20:08

Yes whatever you do, do not ' pay' for a portfolio which is a well known scam. Also be aware some ' scouts' are dirty perverts who will just want to take indecent photos. Check,check,check.

GladAllOver Mon 11-Jun-18 21:25:40

What do you mean by 'scouted"?
If she was approached in a street, shop, club etc. it was just the usual portfolio selling trap.

FallenMadonnawiththeBadBoobies Mon 11-Jun-18 21:28:14

Yes, it happened to my daughter. She was scouted twice in the same afternoon by two different agencies. One is a well known agency and I checked the position with them regarding portfolios before we went up to London to see them. When we arrived, there were quite a few young girls with their mums.

She was only just 14 at the time and they felt she was too young for them, but we are keeping in touch. Like you, I'm a little concerned that she might be disappointed, so I'm trying to keep it low key.

mrsgirond Mon 11-Jun-18 21:28:28

Thanks, yes it was all legitimate. A big agency in central London. I called them this morning. No fees obviously. Anyone out there had direct experience?

Littletreefrog Mon 11-Jun-18 21:29:52

Google the name of the company
Check what is involved regarding paying for a portfolio etc
If after checking everything with a fine tooth comb you are happy still accompany her to everything!

FallenMadonnawiththeBadBoobies Mon 11-Jun-18 21:30:01

Sorry, forgot to say - it wasn't a portfolio selling trap and no, GladAllOver, it isn't always so.

mrsgirond Mon 11-Jun-18 21:34:09

Thanks, good to know. She was scouted twice by the same agency ( different scouts) at the same event. I think we’ll go along in the Summer holidays if she’s still keen.

mrsgirond Mon 11-Jun-18 21:41:26

GladAllOver that’s what I thought initially but apparently it’s quite common for big agencies to scout at teen popular events: shops etc

expatinscotland Mon 11-Jun-18 21:44:26

Even if it's a legit agency, who would let such a young person become involved in such an industry?

mrsgirond Mon 11-Jun-18 21:52:47

I’m not asking for opinions on the industry just direct experience as a point of reference.

alreadytaken Mon 11-Jun-18 22:04:49

well it's not direct - but a friend's child was allowed to do some modelling by their parents at a similar age. They were permitted to keep at least some of the money and spent it on drink and drugs. Dropped out of college.

Fortunately the young person seems to have come through it now and has a normal job, a partner and they are buying their first home.

Of course other young people do similar things and maybe it just goes with having overly permissive parents. However if you do go for it then perhaps agree - and stick to - a strategy for investing the money for their future.

mrsgirond Mon 11-Jun-18 22:14:23

Thank you. Nowhere near this stage yet but know of someone who is helping to fund Uni costs through weekend modelling and she was also scouted on Oxford Street and signed to Select Models and sees it almost as a well paid hobby. I’m sure it could go either way though! Anyone with experience of what happens post scouting in between the ages of 14 and 16 welcome. Thanks!

ruby29 Mon 11-Jun-18 22:23:50

Similar has happened twice to my daughter (Oxford St) Both times seemingly reputable agencies ( as far as I could tell ?!) First time she was only 13 and I wasn't at all sure but she was keen so went along had polaroids. They were very friendly and showed us around the agency office. They emailed the following week to let us know she wasn't quite the right look for them. We had a fun day out shopping on the day and all good, she enjoyed it.
Next time she wasn't interested any more and hasn't mentioned it since. I'm quite relieved as really wasn't sure about it. I'm sure some people do fine. I would think you need to be very resilient to enjoy it?

TornFromTheInside Mon 11-Jun-18 22:29:08

There's a fairly common scheme of inviting good looking young girls to an 'agency' (legit) but charging for photos. It's little more than a photography exploit (nee scam). There's no actual promise of modelling work, just a vague hint that you might be considered having paid for the photos etc.

That may not be the case here, but be wary of it. It's all legitimate (not seedy) just a ruse to get you to buy photos.

mcqueencar Mon 11-Jun-18 22:30:40

They will want to photograph her to see what she looks like on film & how relaxed she is. The only thing I would be wary of when so young is that her body is likely to change & that can be an issue although I think there are more laws in place now.

WetsTheVet Mon 11-Jun-18 22:33:06

My daughter was scouted at the same age and is now a professional model and is doing very well for herself. I was incredibly worried about her getting too into that scene as a teenager, but with strict limits on how much work she could do before she turned 18 it worked well. She got great GCSEs and a levels whilst travelling the world and having amazing experiences. She is 20 now and loves her job, but is also studying a degree part time as she knows the job has a shelf life. Please feel free to ask any questions. Oh and be aware that you and she will face a lot of jealousy sadly.

KennDodd Mon 11-Jun-18 22:41:09

On the plus side. A friend of mine was scouted in the street, got loads of modelling work (even TV and fashon shows abroad) covered all her university costs then got a 'proper' job.

mrsgirond Mon 11-Jun-18 22:44:59

Thanks so much for replying and how great that your daughter has managed to study and model. The agency have strict guidance about only modelling in weekends and holidays whilst still at school and have a huge parental guidance section which is reassuring. She’s very focused at school so I’m not overly worried. She does fancy giving this a try though as she’s always been told she could be a model but this is the first time she’s shown any interest in it. I might be back to pick your brains if that’s ok? I’ve no clue about this world and want to get really informed if it’s something she wants to pursue. Thank you.

AdoraBell Mon 11-Jun-18 22:47:19

My DD was scouted in a nearby town. I can’t help though as she told them she wasn’t interested.

Chuckle65 Mon 11-Jun-18 22:47:41

A friend off DD's was scouted. Since, she's been in Vogue, Harper's Bazaar and she's never at home! She's always abroad working and spent 5 months working in Korea. Currently she's in the USA working but she's travelled all round the world. She's been in magazines, online, she's walked for the NY, Paris and London fashion weeks and she's been involved in tv adverts.
so yes scouting can lead to fab opportunities but you need to make sure it's not a scam

purplecorkheart Mon 11-Jun-18 22:57:53

There was a documentary on channel 4 about a model agency that scouted girls in their early teens and then waited until they were about 16 + to really employ them. It might be worth watching. I think it was called the model agency or somthing similar. It was on a few years ago should be on 4od

mcqueencar Mon 11-Jun-18 23:00:37

WetsTheVet daughter has a great approach, do it & enjoy the money & travel but have something to fall back on as it’s probably even harder today to make it really big (celebs get all the covers, instafamous etc).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: