Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Anyone make their own yoghurt?

(86 Posts)
PuddleglumtheMarshWiggle Mon 11-Jun-18 16:10:52

We've been trying to cut back on the amount of single use plastic items we use.
The next item to address is our yoghurt consumption. Dd and I eat yoghurt every every day son that's a lot of cartons! I was in Lakeland today and saw yoghurt makers for sale bur want to do some research first.
Does anyone make all their own yoghurt? Is there a particular yoghurt maker you would recommend? How does it taste? I'm happy with plain yoghurt but Dd likes fruit yoghurts, is it easy to make other flavours.
Or is the most likely scenario that I buy a yoghurt maker, use it for a few times and it then sits on top of the kitchen cupboards gathering dust?
Opinions, please.

Millybingbong Mon 11-Jun-18 16:12:24

Following for the same reasons exactly

GrimDamnFanjo Mon 11-Jun-18 16:29:53

And I'm following too. I actually have an unused yog maker as I've never had the confidence to give it a go!

SlowlyShrinking Mon 11-Jun-18 16:31:27

I’m following too. Trying to improve my gut biome!

ToadOfSadness Mon 11-Jun-18 16:46:17

I have a very old Bell yogurt maker which I sometimes use. However you can make yogurt in a bowl or jar and as long as it is in a warm place for a few hours it will work. An airing cupboard would do, however in the winter I use the heated clothes airer.

A carton of Long Life milk and a pot of yogurt is all you need to get started and is the easiest or you could try Kefir which doesn't need so much warmth.

If you want it a bit thicker add some skimmed milk powder.

StellaHeyStella Mon 11-Jun-18 16:47:39

Someone bought my dd one once, it was a lovely novelty for a couple of weeks but I'm going to sneak it off to the car boot sale on Sunday as I'm fed up looking at it unused in the larder. I think there were flavouring pouches she added to it to make fruit yogurt.

I like the idea of it reducing single use plastic though, I hadn't thought of it that way.

vampirethriller Mon 11-Jun-18 16:47:49

Easiyo. It's like a flask, you mix the powder with water, put it in the hot water flask overnight and you have 1kg yoghurt. Holland and Barratt sell them, I love mine and they do lovely flavours as well as plain/low fat etc.

Surfingwhippet Mon 11-Jun-18 16:48:11

I have made my own using a thermos flask

ToadOfSadness Mon 11-Jun-18 16:48:18

This might be of interest.

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/apr/25/nigel-slater-yogurt-recipes

VanillaSugar Mon 11-Jun-18 17:05:50

Blatantly place marking as I want to make my own coconut yoghurt. I tried making it without a yoghurt maker and it didn't turn out too well. I definitely want a yoghurt maker.

Any other recommendations than the Lakeland one?

CatsandOatcakes Mon 11-Jun-18 17:06:13

I have a Lakeland one which I use for plain yogurt. I sometimes stir fruit in when it is finished. When I want a change I use an Easiyo sachet. I've had it for years and use it at least once a week.

Cinnamus Mon 11-Jun-18 17:10:38

If you want flavoured/ fruit yoghurt just add a teaspoon of jam to plain yoghurt

Furrycushion Mon 11-Jun-18 17:14:43

Easiyo. You can use the sachets or just make your own with yoghurt as a starter. Or just use a wide necked flask. Easiyo also do flavoured sachets, although I haven't tried them. There is another brand of sachets which is cheaper (also from NZ).

MollyHuaCha Mon 11-Jun-18 17:18:26

I make yoghurt in individual glass jars using an electric yoghurt maker.

I am allergic to dairy so I use soya milk and a probiotic capsule for a starter culture.

The results are perfect.

ChibiTotoro Mon 11-Jun-18 17:18:37

I haven't gotten around to trying it yet, but I know lots of people rave about yoghurt made in their Instant Pot.

mamansnet Mon 11-Jun-18 17:22:32

Been making mine for years. I have a plug-in yoghurt machine and I just buy cultures as a powder, add milk and 'cook' for 12 hours.

I find Easiyo taste great but their powders are loaded with sugar, which defeated the object for me.

PuddleglumtheMarshWiggle Mon 11-Jun-18 17:33:25

Thanks everyone for your responses. I've done some research online for best prices and have just ordered an Easiyo yogurt maker, with some lunchpots and a couple of sachets of raspberry, banana, vanilla and Greek style yogurt.
Dd isn't keen on the idea of homemade yogurt but I'm the one who does the shopping so she might change her mind when there's no alternative grin
I'll let you know how I get on when I've tasted all the results!

BlueBiros Mon 11-Jun-18 18:57:43

mamansnet, where do you get the powdered cultures? I like natural yoghurt best but easiyo seems like an expensive way of doing it. The Lakeland instructions said to use fresh yoghurt to start it off, but it would be used more if I had the ingredients in an easy to store way and it would cut down on supermarket trips (I have to drive to them from here).

Robotlady Mon 11-Jun-18 19:33:37

We've been making our own yoghurt for about 3 months for the same reason as OP.
Bought an individual jars (7) yoghurt maker from Dunelm for about £20 and its brilliant.
started the first batch off with plain live yoghurt an thereafter just save one jar for the starter for the next batch. Just use semi skimmed milk and don't add anything.
Collected a few more jars so we can make more before it runs out.
Dead simple.

BikeRunSki Mon 11-Jun-18 19:49:28

There is no need for yoghurt makers or powdered cuktures

specialsubject Mon 11-Jun-18 19:52:36

tried that guardian method, doesnt work. just a waste of milk and a tub of live yogurt. anyone got anything that does work?

MollyHuaCha Mon 11-Jun-18 19:54:14

You can also culture yoghurt in a very low oven overnight.

GreyGardens88 Mon 11-Jun-18 19:55:26

I knit my own

ninecoronas Mon 11-Jun-18 19:57:08

I have one of these:
www.severin.com/breakfast/yoghurt-makers
I love it! Really easy to use, I sometimes to the swish recipes from its little book but often just make plain or use a spoonful of nice jam/lemon curd in the bottom.of each for flavoured yogs. I use a fresh yog or one from the last batch to start off the next batch.
My favourite ones use a litre of full fat UHT milk and taste great. Coconut flavour ones are cool or blueberry jam ones...

tenredthings Mon 11-Jun-18 19:57:51

If you want your homemade yoghurt to be a bit thicker I recommend stirring a couple of spoonfuls of dried milk into the mix. Dc didn't like the yoghurt I made as it was a bit thin, now its thicker set and they love it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: