Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Nut free setting

(34 Posts)
SparkwoodAnd21 Mon 11-Jun-18 14:26:38

DS’s setting requires us to send in lunch, and like most these days it’s nut free. They aren’t very clear on exactly what this excludes, apart from the obvious, so what else should I be avoiding? I often use sesame oil and toasted seeds, I’ve left them out of his food so far, is that right? They specify no pesto so he’s never taken that in. There isn’t anyone there with an allergy at the moment and I don’t know anyone with one either, so I’ve nobody to ask my stupid questions.

SparkwoodAnd21 Mon 11-Jun-18 17:22:59

Anyone?

BalloonSlayer Mon 11-Jun-18 17:50:37

Sesame oil and seeds aren't nuts.

I would just avoid:

peanut butter
nutella
cakes with nuts
snickers
pesto

. . . that sort of thing.

Peanut butter and nutella are the worst as they get smeared on things and might get on to someone's hands.

DailyMailFail101 Mon 11-Jun-18 17:57:18

Sesame seeds are seeds not nuts, just have a quick scan of labels before you put them in your child’s lunch, your obviously making lots of homemade foods (assuming with the toasted sesame seeds) so just make sure you don’t add nuts.

SparkwoodAnd21 Mon 11-Jun-18 18:24:03

I know not to use anything with actual nuts in, that’s what I meant about the obvious things. But I’ve avoided sesame because I thought it was a problem for those with a nut allergy and they often went together. I was wondering more about the hidden things that people might not think about. He only ever takes in home made stuff.

YBR Mon 11-Jun-18 18:41:50

Sesame can be a problem for some nut allergy sufferers. As the setting as they should know.

Toofle Mon 11-Jun-18 19:36:50

We don't want to be late for setting, do we?

Do people actually say that?

NoIsACompleteAnswerSometimes Mon 11-Jun-18 19:48:05

Watch out for coconut, as in dessicated coconut on cakes etc. That can cause issues in some nut allergy sufferers. I was told that when mine were at school.

sentenceinterrupted Mon 11-Jun-18 19:49:10

We had multiple allergies in our house. The school was 'nut free'. Biggest challenge for us was people being confused what that entailed. Eg would send in a cashew nut bar because 'it didn't have nuts in it'. To us, nut free means no peanuts (which aren't actually nuts!), and no tree nuts (hazelnuts, cashews, pistachios, Brazil, etc etc).

Pesto usually confuses people because it often contains cashews(!), muesli bars seem to be the most common at School though (especially the 'healthy ' ones which usually have nuts of some form). Chocolate has been our worst for cross-contamination (eg made in the same factory so traces of nut), but that shouldn't be an issue unless you're sending in birthday celebration treats or similar....

SnapCards Mon 11-Jun-18 19:58:09

Just don't send anything in containing actual nuts. Seeds/ coconut are separate allergies so you don't need to avoid them unless told to because of an actual allergy to those products.

May contain is fine to send in, but I would avoid if you are sending food that other DC are excepted to eat (birthdays etc). That way DC with allergies can be included too.

CountFosco Mon 11-Jun-18 20:00:45

Yeah, sesame can be a problem which means hummus shouldn't be used. But I'd question them and find out if there actually is a child with a severe nut allergy. If not do what you want.

I was incredibly pissed off with my nursery who refused to give DS peanut butter sandwiches. I wanted him to have a savoury sandwich with protein in it since he couldn't have cheese due to an actual, medically monitored CMPA. We weren't allowed to give him peanut better because another parent on no evidence whatsoever had aked for there to be no peanut butter in the setting just in case their child had an allergy. So a worry about a putative nut allergy took precedence over an actual CMP allergy hmm.

sentenceinterrupted Tue 12-Jun-18 07:26:59

From a mum of a cmpa (and other) child, I can give you lots of savoury sandwich suggestions. Particularly if it's only peanuts you're avoiding ... so many other nut butters! Feel free to pm me...

BarbarianMum Tue 12-Jun-18 07:32:46

Sesame seeds are no more likely to be a problem than lentils/peas. I think you only need to avoud peanuts and tree nuts unless specifically told otherwise.

grasspigeons Tue 12-Jun-18 07:41:54

My son has a tree nut allergy and basically it's mainly cereal bars, chocolate and cakes that people forget to check properly. Quite a lot of chocolate has hazelnut in it. But even I didn't realise about pesto so it's lucky cashews weren't one of the tree nuts that are an issue for him or anyone at his setting when I sent him in with it. blush

dangermouseisace Tue 12-Jun-18 08:22:51

I asked my kids school for clarification. They said just nuts as didn’t have anyone with seeds etc allergy. So in my case coconut/sesame seeds/other seeds were ok, but I’d ask the setting as yours might be different.

MaireadMacSweeney Tue 12-Jun-18 08:27:19

What's a setting?

Toofle Tue 12-Jun-18 08:30:29

Mairead, glad I'm not alone.

UrsulaPandress Tue 12-Jun-18 08:32:22

Me three. Setting?

Toofle Tue 12-Jun-18 08:47:53

I don't want to go to setting todaaay

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Tue 12-Jun-18 08:51:37

If there's no one there with an allergy, why on earth are they trying to make it a nut free environment? No one is going to benefit.

worridmum Tue 12-Jun-18 08:52:32

Setting is a common term for childcare place (or it is for professional stuff eg nursery setting school setting, play setting etc)

ZebraOwl Tue 12-Jun-18 09:58:28

SparkwoodAnd21
Am worried this will sound weird &/or patronising or something, but really-genuinely, thank you for being so considerate & trying to make sure that you're avoiding so many allergens like that. The levels of care people take with this kind of thing vary hugely & there are still people who will, knowing there's a child with a life-threatening allergy to something that's the reason for a ban, still send their child with a lunchbox crammed with allergens. Anyway, returning to our hypoallergenic sheep, I'd just ask the nursery if they have any kind of written guidelines they can send you (they really should have, if they're asking you to do this...) & just stick to those.

AvocadosBeforeMortgages
I'd guess if they maintain a constant ban on nuts & peanuts then they don't have to swap things about when they do have children with nut allergies - if those are always the rules there can be no confusion & no weird bursts of being able to have nuts/peanuts for a week between children with allergies. About 1:50 children in the UK have a peanut or tree nut allergy, so keeping the setting "ready" makes sense on that basis. I suppose it might make children with nut/peanut allergies less conspicuous to their peers when they join - am thinking of older children, obviously, not the ones just starting on solids! You're absolutely right about there being some question as to whether or not nut-free settings are helpful full stop though. (Although the article is about schools, much of it can be applied more broadly, & many children will progress into schools with a similar policy.)

CountFosco
That's... staggering. If you'd sent your DS to a nursery with a blanket ban, that'd be one thing, but for him to be denied PB because another parent was afraid their child MIGHT be allergic?! confused Did they have the nursery keep all the doors & windows closed at all times during summer in case their DC MIGHT be allergic to bee/wasp stings? hmm Too late for nursery now, obviously, & am hoping your DS has outgrown his CMPA, but if not & you find yourselves in a similar situation, I've been told that Wow-Butter is really nice (despite being free from everything). I've not actually tried it myself as I've not needed to (iyswim) but I've not been warned it's rank, & word does tend to reach you about that stuff.

OverTheHedgeHammy Tue 12-Jun-18 12:04:17

To have a ban on the setting even without children with allergies makes sense. If they allow nuts, toys will become contaminated with small amounts of things like peanut butter, Nutella, etc. To go through and deep clean the entire setting if a child with an allergy starts would be very problematic.

I don't believe other allergies are as 'spreadable' and the children as reactive as with nut allergies.

CountFosco Tue 12-Jun-18 12:52:39

I don't believe other allergies are as 'spreadable' and the children as reactive as with nut allergies.

This is a common misconception. Milk is pretty spreadable (no use crying over spilt milk) and milk is in everything. DS reacted to milk on skin contact (most common reaction to milk) and had a couple of minor reactions at nursery that were probably due to traces of milk not being adequately wiped up. Thankfully his allergy was more of an instantaneous eczema flare up rather than any swelling in the throat and was treatable with piriton and a good wash.

Milk is a more common allergy than nuts in young children (2.5% of prescoolers have it, that's 1 in 40) but is less likely to cause anaphylaxis. But it's the third most common cause of anaphylaxis after peanuts and treenuts. But nuts are much easier to cut out of a western European diet which is why nurseries and schools cut them out but don't cut out milk or eggs.

MaireadMacSweeney Tue 12-Jun-18 13:23:31

Thanks for explaining worridmum, it's a new expression to me.

My DS is allergic to peanuts and tree nuts but they were never banned at his nursery or schools years ago (he's an adult now).

His schools were strict about food sharing and thankfully careful in food tech classes etc. I think that's more considerate than a blanket ban because kids have to learn never to accept food from others unless they know for sure it's safe for them. And it's not fair to ban nuts but not milk, eggs etc when there are children with other food allergies in the setting school.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: