Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What book(s) can you not read to your children without crying?

(239 Posts)
ifigoup Mon 11-Jun-18 12:27:11

Mine is The Paper Dolls by Julia Donaldson. I don’t even like most of her books, but this one gets me right in the gut every time, even though I know it’s coming. As a result, my toddler is learning that when Mama is a snotty mess it’s sometimes because she’s “bit sad”, but sometimes because she’s happy and sad at the same time.

Plumpieinthesun Mon 11-Jun-18 12:28:00

Dogger! Gets me every time.

Pleasebeafleabite Mon 11-Jun-18 12:30:46

Ah.... the velveteen rabbit. Becoming a real rabbit for being such a devoted toy rabbit whilst the little boy is so poorly. Setting me off now blush

StillMissV Mon 11-Jun-18 12:31:10

Lets go home little bear and Can't you sleep little bear. I remember my dad reading me those as a child and loved the feeling of being all cosy and safe. And now I get to do the same with my wee boy <openly weeps>

Guess how much I love you has a similar impact!

ifigoup Mon 11-Jun-18 12:32:10

Oh, yes, Dogger! That one for me, too!

fanominon Mon 11-Jun-18 12:32:26

Owl babies, And Ruby Flew too... I can't even tell people why they make me cry without crying.

KittysMyName Mon 11-Jun-18 12:34:59

Stick Man! My DD looks at me like she’s worried for my sanity. “Mummy, what are you DOING? He’s back in the family tree, it’s good!!?”

Iputthescrewinthetuna Mon 11-Jun-18 12:35:51

Guess how much I love you.

Goodbye mog

Live you forever... read it once and viwed never again!

The night before christmas - this was a tradition growing up, Mum used to read it to us before bed in Xmas eve. 10 years of being a mother and I have never managed to read it to my children without crying.

MuddyForestWalks Mon 11-Jun-18 12:36:54

Mine is Paper Dolls too.

DD found a copy in the library during Rhyme Time and was 'reading' it to herself and even that choked me up 😪

FlibbertyGiblets Mon 11-Jun-18 12:37:06

Farking Peepo with the mirror with the sodding rainbow rim fgs. Daddy ready to go do his air warden shift. WAIL.

My children are pretty much adults (one still at school, the others launched into society) but I still get a catch in my throat about Peepo.

InDubiousBattle Mon 11-Jun-18 12:37:16

Ten Little Fingers, ten little toes. Sob every time.

keyboardjellyfish Mon 11-Jun-18 12:39:14

Guess How Much I Love You and Can't You Sleep Little Bear sad

villainousbroodmare Mon 11-Jun-18 12:42:17

Bloody Peepo.
But try Burglar Bill for cheerful loveliness!

MrMeeseeks Mon 11-Jun-18 12:43:07

Once There Were Giants. Bad enough when I only had boys, but now I have a girl it gets me in the guts every time.

PickleJuice Mon 11-Jun-18 12:45:57

Paper dolls too! I choke up every time I get to the kind granny bit.

HoppingPavlova Mon 11-Jun-18 12:47:24

Yep, 13 years later I am still scarred by Goodbye Mog, Samsara Dog, Edward Tullane, the Little Match Girl and so many more.

Ekorre Mon 11-Jun-18 12:50:04

Michael Rosen's Sad Book.

Mentions his son and mother being dead so you'd have to have a heart of stone not to...

4mogirl Mon 11-Jun-18 12:54:27

Yep another one for ‘guess how much I love you!’

DearMrDilkington Mon 11-Jun-18 12:56:02

The Places You'll Go By Dr Seuss.

MyOtherProfile Mon 11-Jun-18 12:59:02

The Little Prince. I did actually change the ending the first time I read it out loud.

SheRasBra Mon 11-Jun-18 13:01:19

I second 'Goodbye Mog'. I bought it to read to DD as we had an elderly cat on his last legs and I thought it would prepare her for his death.

Cue several attempts of trying to get through it and blubbing hopelessly while DD (then about 4) gave me some serious side-eye.

Willow2017 Mon 11-Jun-18 13:03:26

The Velveteen Rabbit. Only read it once, never again! I couldnt see the words on the page for blubbing grin
Kids used to tease me about it at storytime for years.

PeppermintPasty Mon 11-Jun-18 13:05:27

Yes to Owl Babies '..And she CAME...' <wails>
And Dogger, when the sister is so kind, I just can't...

...and Twinkles, Arthur and Puss, for some inexplicable reason.

Pretty much all the Mog books.

Poodles1980 Mon 11-Jun-18 13:07:10

@sherasbras god we did the same. Bought it thinking it would help with the elderly cat situation. After a few attempts and nearly having to be sedated (me) after reading it we have now hidden it at the back of the book case. I can’t even think about it without getting sobby.

reallybadidea Mon 11-Jun-18 13:07:42

The Railway Children "Daddy, my daddy". Sob.

When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit. Or maybe it was one of the sequels. When Uncle Julius dies.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: