Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

My son is addicted to Fortnite.

(25 Posts)
hattiesmumm Mon 11-Jun-18 08:46:02

And we are going cold turkey!

After another weekend of not seeing him, him having a foul attitude and generally ruining it Iv completely banned the game. It’s taking over our lives. He talks about it all the time, he plays it all the time. He’s even put weight on 🙈 because he doesn’t play out anymore.

He’s absolutely addicted. Completely my fault and I feel like an awful mum.

Iv told him it’s banned, he’s had the biggest crying break down before school.

I just can’t do it anymore. When I ask him to do something he literally is rushing it to get back on it.

Is anyone had the same? How did you ban it? I can’t even trust him to play minecraft without going on it.

Please don’t judge me

nibblingandbiting Mon 11-Jun-18 08:48:38

Change the password for the consol. Learn the settings for the consol to put timer on. Change the WiFi password

PrimalLass Mon 11-Jun-18 08:50:31

We have it set to certain hours via the router.

BillywilliamV Mon 11-Jun-18 08:50:57

Dont ban him, an hour a day if hes done everything else and then turn wifi off. How old is he?
Parent him!

Allthatglittersisgold Mon 11-Jun-18 08:55:34

Maybe a couple of days without it to think about attitude, expectations etc then a time limit. My son is also addicted and would spend all day if he could. Hes not allowed on till after dinner, homework, clubs and anything else I'd expect of an 11 year old is done. Because he knows hes not allowed on it till late he goes out to play. Limits keeps everyone happy!

citychick Mon 11-Jun-18 08:55:40

OP not judging you at all.
It's so hard trying to monitor online gaming and time.
Our nearly 12 years old lives for his online time.
No Fortnite yet. He's happy with simple games. But would spend all day on it.
Drives us nuts.
We just take all devices away, change PC password and put form boundaries in place. He gives out for a while and then pulls out a card game or rearranges the posters on his bedroom wall.

I feel your frustration. Stand fast and hold your ground.
Good luck.

hattiesmumm Mon 11-Jun-18 08:55:56

I am parenting him thank you!

I’m banning him because like any addiction, having a little bit of it does hurt and they end up wanting more.

It’s definitely the flight or fight feeling they are addicted too.

Chuckle65 Mon 11-Jun-18 08:58:55

www.google.com/amp/www.ladbible.com/community/gaming-nine-year-old-girl-in-rehab-after-becoming-addicted-to-fortnite-20180610.amp.html

Has anyone else seen this article?

jobbymcginty Mon 11-Jun-18 09:01:42

I've inforced rules just last week there was a big dramatic scene by my ds when I told him . He's not allowed on it before 10am he's not allowed on it and hour after school and he's not allowed any screen time at all on Mondays, Wednesday's , Friday's and Sunday's. I've noticed a mark in his behaviour already although the he to tries to bargain to get o. It I've stood my ground as its not good for him

SluttyButty Mon 11-Jun-18 09:05:36

We had to cut down massively on that damned game! I'm not very strict with gaming time and usually let him learn how self regulation works.

However with Fortnite I've had to intervene because it really is so addictive and you can't just pause it and that I think is the problem.

Colbu24 Mon 11-Jun-18 09:14:42

Most kids are addicted to it. The game was designed to hook them.
My son stopped playing with a younger friend because the other boy was getting really intense.
Our son it 12 and he played it for a while but got tired now he plays other things.
I can understand your frustration. It's hard to advise you but sounds like you have a good plan.
It is an addiction so either cold turkey or a time limit.
If is affecting family life then it's not fun for anybody.

LiveLifeWithPassion Mon 11-Jun-18 09:19:31

I’m not judging you either.
My kids have a tendency to get hooked on games and get moody/stroppytoo so I just have a blanket ban of no gaming during the weekdays.
It makes life so much easier.

You may have a few tough days with begging/pleading/selling their soul but it’ll be worth it in the long run.

Good luck!

CoffeeIsNotEnough Mon 11-Jun-18 09:41:22

It is possible to play fortnite without being addicted and most kids manage it. Do t buy the media hype that this is super terrible. It's the latest craze and it will pass.

OP, once he's past his ban, you can offer him limited time playing it, such as 45 mins/90 mins depending on his age. But you then allow him to finish the game he is on when you ask him to stop if he's doing well. If he's down to eg the last ten he's going to want to carry on and I don't think that's unreasonable.

Maybe make an agreement with him that he stops if he's not in last ten/twenty but that if he's at that last stage he can finish off? You can see this on the screen so you can see what's going on.

If he doesn't respect the rule you both agree on he gets another total ban for a day/week. This rule has worked well for us in general with gaming. The rules are usually adhered to now!

CoffeeIsNotEnough Mon 11-Jun-18 09:42:05

'Do t' was obviously meant to be 'don't'

Moneyhelping Mon 11-Jun-18 10:09:07

I’ve got one on a permanent ban, one who self regulates and one who is only allowed on it between 7-8.30. I can’t bear that game but you have to control them as they can’t control themselves

StrongerThanIThought76 Mon 11-Jun-18 11:15:11

I'm with you OP! I went full-on fishwife this morning as a tiny but hugely important task that I'd asked DS to do repeatedly over the weekend has not been done due to Fortnite. He stayed up WAY too late last night and after waking early he was on it at 6am this morning yet was almost late for school.

I've confiscated the controller and he will only now get it back for limited screen time once this and several other jobs get done. He's got GCSEs next year - going to start making him revise for an hour every night too.

It's going to be hard OP - I've hidden the controller and am going to tell him i've left it at work.

Pleasebeafleabite Mon 11-Jun-18 12:25:29

I went full-on fishwife this morning as a tiny but hugely important task that I'd asked DS to do repeatedly over the weekend has not been done due to Fortnite

Had to laugh at this - me too! I’ve locked mine out of the game room.

Atthebottomofthesea Mon 11-Jun-18 12:31:45

Parent him!

Why is that a stock answer? What does it mean or achieve?

Thankfully the op has been given some helpful advice, as I'm guessing like me she didn't birth a manual at the same times as having a baby.

Thankfully it is one that has so far passed us by, but I do get a lot of 'I need to finish this level'

PrimalLass Mon 11-Jun-18 12:38:46

He stayed up WAY too late last night and after waking early he was on it at 6am this morning yet was almost late for school.

This is why we have it set at router level. It doesn't come on until 7am.

hattiesmumm Mon 11-Jun-18 15:14:17

That’s what he does too, wakes at 5/6 and goes on it, then wakes his sister up from the buttons banging!

I’m sticking to my guns. I’m not even going to let him on it for an hour, it’s completelt band. I don’t mind him on minecraft etc.

He has definitely put weight on too over the past few weeks, his School trousers don’t fit 🙈 he’s normally into running and stuff so it’s abit obvious 🙈

CoffeeIsNotEnough Tue 12-Jun-18 00:45:03

You may be able to block individual devices on your router. Our kids' laptops and phones are blocked from 7.30pm-7am.
Early risers can use the family desktop if desperate.

ZibbidooZibbidooZibbidoo Tue 12-Jun-18 00:51:51

I had the same problems. Got rid of the whole console. It’s been great. He doesn’t even miss it now.

Kezzie200 Tue 12-Jun-18 07:25:26

Don't ban him. Talk to him. And set the router to switch off broadband at a sensible time of night.

PrimalLass Tue 12-Jun-18 08:35:11

You don't even need to turn off the whole broadband. You can set it by device.

hattiesmumm Wed 13-Jun-18 08:44:39

He’s not been on it since. He admitted today that he hasn’t even missed it! He’s been a different child! It’s amazing!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: