Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Best time to do driving test?

(113 Posts)
Lifebeginner Sun 10-Jun-18 17:04:08

I've booked in my driving test for a Saturday morning. DH thinks it's better to do a test at a busier time because it'll make the test go more quickly as a lot of the time I'll just be sitting in traffic. I can see the merit to what he's saying but I find navigating heavy traffic a bit stressful and think things like roundabouts and intersections will be a lot easier to do when it's quiet. Thoughts? What day and time did you do your test and would you recommend it?

adaline Sun 10-Jun-18 17:08:10

Mine was 9.27 on a Friday morning - so I missed the school run traffic! I wouldn't want a weekend slot personally and my instructor advised against it (sorry!)

I was told a weekday morning after the school run was the best time, so between 9.15 and 10am if at all possible. You miss the rush hour traffic and all the normal daytime traffic.

Your test will fly by anyway. But I'd rather be driving along than stuck in traffic where you need to really concentrate on things like mirrors, people walking out in front of you and loads of bikes or cyclists.

paw1977 Sun 10-Jun-18 17:09:02

I did mine at 10.20 on a Thursday morning. I wanted to do a Saturday for the same reasons as you , but couldn't get a slot.

What time on Saturday morning is the test ?

I think I would have still preferred a Saturday, as would have been quieter.

GreatDuckCookery Sun 10-Jun-18 17:10:34

I think any time between 9.45 and 12.30.

Lifebeginner Sun 10-Jun-18 17:11:50

Why did your instructor advise against Saturday morning @adaline? I could have chosen a Tuesday morning at 10am but my instructor wasn't available then so I would have to go for the test on DH's car.

Lifebeginner Sun 10-Jun-18 17:13:27

It's 9am @paw1977. That's the time I usually go for my lessons and it's usually very quiet but there are lots of cyclists around, that's the only thing I am a little bit hesitant about!

FoofFighter Sun 10-Jun-18 17:15:07

11.37 on a weekday morning. Second attempt, first was an hour earlier.

I think there's benefits to all slots really, in busier times you don't drive as far, in quieter times you can really show what you can do - I don't think there's a specific advantage over any time slot tbh aside from perhaps not late afternoon as would be more tired?

Good luck! I passed a month ago at age 44 grin

frasier Sun 10-Jun-18 17:16:12

Mine was 4.00pm on a Friday. Medium traffic. My problem was time of year... it had been rainjng and the sun was setting. Road markings were obscured with puddles and I couldn’t see a thing because of the sun.

I passed but it was hell.

Juanbablo Sun 10-Jun-18 17:17:18

I've had two tests at 10:24 and 11:04 which were nice and quiet. My next test is around the same time (I had better flipping pass next time!).

River93 Sun 10-Jun-18 17:17:31

Mine was 11.11am on a Friday. Chosen purely because 11.11 is meant to be a lucky time and this actual slot was available - passed 1st time

adaline Sun 10-Jun-18 17:18:16

He didn't recommend a weekend because of where the test centre was located - in a busy town with a lot of weekend visitors and shoppers. Having been there at a weekend since I passed, I can totally understand way. It's busy, full of people who just wander across the road, has a fairly complex one-way system and is full of buses, tourists/visitors and locals doing their shopping.

Of course that's just my location and yours could be totally different.

MrsMollyMooMoo Sun 10-Jun-18 17:20:08

Mines was 8.20 on a Monday morning. It was busy and foggy. I passed though. It went really quickly as well.

LadyFrancessa Sun 10-Jun-18 17:20:58

Mine was 11:11am on a Wednesday my lucky day and I passed 1st time too xx

Lifebeginner Sun 10-Jun-18 17:28:17

Congratulations @FoofFighter that gives me hope! I suppose as long as I don't stuff up then any time is really fine. But it's the not stuffing up part I need to work on hmm

Lifebeginner Sun 10-Jun-18 17:30:14

Ah I see @adaline, my testing centre is in a very quiet area so I shouldn't have that problem hopefully. I can't really think of anywhere around here where it's busy at 9am on a Saturday morning tbh, it's more my own nerves I'm worried about!

dingdongdigeridoo Sun 10-Jun-18 17:40:54

Mine was at 9.37 or some random time just after the school run on a weekday. It was nice and peaceful.

I think the level of traffic would depend on what’s in your town. One of our local towns gets absolutely crazy on a Saturday morning with shoppers. Other places would be like ghost towns. Can you go out for a practice at that time and do the route?

adaline Sun 10-Jun-18 17:58:01

I'm sure you'll be fine! I found a banana and two paracetamol before my test worked wonders, plus Kalms to help me sleep the night before. And no coffee - I was nervous enough without the addition of caffeine!

I was nervous as hell beforehand but actually felt weirdly calm on my test. I passed first time doing what I thought was the worst test route and the worst manoeuvre (which I've not even attempted since!)

Good luck smile

leannetta Sun 10-Jun-18 18:07:21

The examiner will choose a route to suit the time of day to avoid sitting in traffic where possible. A lot of routes are circular and so will take as long as they take. In order to be legal, the wheels have to be turning for a certain amount of time, so sitting in traffic will actually make the test longer. Just drive to the best of your ability from engine on to engine off. Wishing you the very best of luck.

Lifebeginner Sun 10-Jun-18 18:31:28

Thanks very much @adaline! I'm nervous just thinking about it now but I'm also keen to get it over with! @leannetta that's a good point, you have to get through all of the things they need to test you on as well regardless of time.

Lifebeginner Sun 10-Jun-18 18:33:29

Good luck @Juanbablo! Thinking of starting a support thread for people prepping for their test actually. I'm not 100% confident I'll pass first time but I'd really like to, just to avoid having to re-do lessons and get another booking as much as actually wanting to just get on with it and drive!

Ginkgo Sun 10-Jun-18 18:38:30

My test is at 8.20 tomorrow morning. My driving instructor said to do the test at the same sort of time as your lessons have been so that you are used to the traffic at that time. Hopefully he is right.

Lifebeginner Sun 10-Jun-18 18:42:01

Best of luck @Ginkgo! Hope it goes well. Please drop by and update if you feel comfortable doing so smile

Ginkgo Sun 10-Jun-18 18:46:04

Thanks Lifebeginner, I'll let you know how it went tomorrow.

userofthiswebsite Sun 10-Jun-18 18:49:29

My instructor advised first thing in morning traffic because in that way, the tester cannot take you far from the test centre because he/she knows they need to be back in time for the next test, hence you only get taken around the roads you've already practiced.

WWYDNameChange Sun 10-Jun-18 18:49:57

Following along! My test is in 7 weeks, I only started learning 6 weeks ago. Booked 15 double lessons and picked up a cheap little Peugeot 206 for my dad to give me extra lessons. Done lots of dual carriageways and heavy traffic, still sticky on hill starts and keeping my observations tight, but I'm vaguely confident that I'll pass (a lot is riding on the fact I'll be driving for the summer holidays haha)

Good luck on your test! How long have you been having lessons?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: