Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Posting for traffic. Please any vets, people with knowledge of cats? My cat can't urinate.

(54 Posts)
Loopylou6 Sat 09-Jun-18 21:39:58

Took him vet today, she said bladder is extremely full, gave him a jab of anti inflammatory and something to hopefully relax him to make him urinate, said if he's not been by 9 tonight, take him emergency vets, this was at 2.
At 4, he still hadn't been, and I wasn't happy to leave him until 9, so I took him a different vet for a 2nd opinion ( first vet wasn't my normal one, and I didn't feel comfy with her, altho she did establish, he didn't have a temp )
Second vet managed to manipulate his bladder so he released quite a bit, he also commented there was no actual blockage.
Since being home, he's been on his tray, but not done anything sad
I'm so worried about him. He's eating, drinking, playing etc.
What's wrong with him?

IheartNiles Sat 09-Jun-18 21:43:09

How old is he? If he’s in and out of the tray without passing anything then I would take him in as cystitis in male cats can be very dangerous,

Loopylou6 Sat 09-Jun-18 21:49:47

He's just turned 2, 2nd vet said he's not in immediate danger

Smushrooms Sat 09-Jun-18 21:53:52

Honestly I'd take him to the emergency vet now.Don't wait until Monday. This can be deadly serious, and it's so uncomfortable/painful for them. I'd want him to have treatment ASAP. A bladder blockage killed my male cat.

NoSquirrels Sat 09-Jun-18 21:54:30

So you took him to the vet at 2pm, who advised you to give it 6 hours or so, then you took him again at 4pm, when he did urinate, and he’s tried again now but can’t?

I think you should have waited on the first vet’s advice and given him a chance to go. Now you’re in a quandary because you didn’t (5 hours without a wee isn’t too bad).

If you are so worried you can’t relax, go to the emergency vet as first advised.

WindyWednesday Sat 09-Jun-18 21:57:30

When this happened to me the vet wanted him immediately as she needed to operate. In the end they didn’t need to they squeezed it out, but there were blockages, so he’s on medication for life.

Take him to the vet ASAP.

Loopylou6 Sat 09-Jun-18 22:10:18

If I'd of waited on the 1st vets advice, he'd be even worse now.
2nd vet said he's not in immediate danger as he managed to expell over half of his bladder, oh, also tested the urine, showed a bit of blood, but he wasn't concerned.
I'm Planning on taking him again tomorrow to check on how full j his bladder feels

Loopylou6 Sat 09-Jun-18 22:10:45

Vet said no blockages

NoSquirrels Sat 09-Jun-18 22:24:04

Sorry Loopy I assumed you were asking for advice on next steps, but have re-read and seen you didn’t want that after all. I’m not a vet just a cat slave so will be of no help diagnosing.

Hope he’s better soon.

Mincepies76 Sat 09-Jun-18 23:23:01

This happened to one of my male cats. It was crystals in his urine/tubes. We had to stop feeding him dry food and he had to be catheterised to empty his bladder. Can't remember what else the treatment was but he was fine afterwards...

thecatneuterer Sat 09-Jun-18 23:35:40

I also think you have to take him in tonight. A blocked bladder can't wait.

Long term don't feed any dry food, unless it's the prescription stuff for crystals. It has been found that cheap dry food is the main cause of blocked bladders in male cats - Go Cat, Whiskas and the like. So you must never feed him anything like that in the future.

But to make sure he does in fact have a future you need to take him in tonight.

Ollivander84 Sat 09-Jun-18 23:37:31

Ok, mine is literally just out the vets for this. I picked him up tonight
Mine had cystitis with blood, and a blood clot was blocking him. No crystals. He was eating, drinking, all normal but not weeing
It's an emergency in male cats, my bill stands at £380 so far and his bladder was only a third full when they admitted him
He had a GA, a catheter and IV fluids

Ollivander84 Sat 09-Jun-18 23:37:54

Oh I should add they said no blockage but it was the clot preventing it

Handsupbabyhandsup Sat 09-Jun-18 23:50:42

My ex vet gave me bad advice when my male cat couldn't pee when I rang in the afternoon. Said no appointments left and he could wait until the morning. I dropped him off and when they were trying to unblock his bladder it burst. Surgery and long recovery time and he was ok. I'm still angry my poor cat was put through that and it happened 20 years ago!

thecatneuterer Sat 09-Jun-18 23:52:36

Handsup. That's truly awful. Let's hope the OP's not replying as she's at the vet

Loopylou6 Sat 09-Jun-18 23:59:45

Hey guys, I'm not at the vet till the morning. Vet has emptied bladder and is happy to wait till the morning. I'm keeping an eye on him believe me.

N0rfolkEnchants Sun 10-Jun-18 00:05:57

I'd personally take your vets advice unless you have good reason not to trust him/her. They're the experts after all.

thecatneuterer Sun 10-Jun-18 00:08:26

Yes, that's true. If the vet says it can wait then I suppose you have to take their word. Good luck

Shadow666 Sun 10-Jun-18 00:12:23

Well, there are good vets and not so good vets.

When mine stopped peeing, the vet found crystals and he was blocked.

If the vet says your cat isn’t blocked, then why do they think he isn’t peeing?

Good luck for tomorrow!

Loopylou6 Sun 10-Jun-18 00:17:43

Shadow I honesty don't know.

Ollivander84 Sun 10-Jun-18 00:28:53

Shadow - mine had no blockage as such, no crystals and no kidney problems. Just a blood clot, and cystitis

DontMentionTheWar Sun 10-Jun-18 00:29:42

My cat had this two months ago. He was back and forward to the vets for catheterisation three times and in between I was give special food, supplements and injections to give him. None of it worked. Most the time he was blocked and couldn't wee or would just wee a little bit. At one time he wasn't blocked completely but urine was seeping out of him where he was trying to expel it all the time. He'd never had any urinary problems before and he is middle aged for a cat. On the third time our local vets couldn't get the catheter in and we had to rush him to a hospital in a city three hours away otherwise he would have died. He had to have a penile urethrostomy (penis removal) as a huge stone had got stuck, he must have been in agony. My local vets had not found or seen the stone, he had had x-rays but it never showed up. He was in hospital for eleven days and it cost over five thousand pounds but luckily for us the operation was a complete success and he is completely recovered although he will always be on special food. It is miraculous as I really thought we were going to lose him. We were lucky as he was insured so we had options.

What I'm trying to say is this, it might be cystitis and an injection and switch to special food will work, but it can be other things and it can get very serious very quickly so you need to watch him like a hawk.

To everyone feeding their cats dried food PLEASE change to wet food. My cat drinks a huge amount and I always bought very high quality, high protein, low grain dried food, but I now know dried food is not good for cats and I would never feed cats dried food again - especially male cats.

Shadow666 Sun 10-Jun-18 00:46:53

Yes, I agree it’s most likely cystitis, but in that case the vet should have taken a urine culture (which hopefully he has) and the cat will need antibiiotics.

What I meant is that if the vet is just brushing it off as nothing serious then the OP needs to ask him why he thinks the cat isn’t peeing and what the plan of action is.

The OP doesn’t seem very reassured by either vet. That’s not good. Cystitis is painful for the cat and if not treated can lead to blockage and further problems.

So, keep pushing, OP and I hope your kitty feels better soon.

oldbirdy Sun 10-Jun-18 08:08:24

My American friend who is a vet nurse had this happen with her male cat. It happened a few times and iirc he had his penis removed which apparently bothers cats a whole lot less than people.

Loopylou6 Sun 10-Jun-18 12:03:03

Do you think I should ask for antibiotics in case it's bacterial then?
He's eating and drinking etc

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: