Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Please someone help me

(7 Posts)
missrabbitismyidol Fri 08-Jun-18 08:11:04

I feel like I'm drowning. I have awful anxiety and today I've woken up feeling awful. I feel so anxious that I'm shaking and feel sick. I have two young DC to look after and I'm struggling. Internally I feel like I'm crying and screaming. But on the outside I'm barely able to function. I'm a single parent. I have a lot of support from my parents but they both work so I don't feel like I can call on them. I'm meant to be meeting a friend today but at this point I don't even know how I'm going to manage to get dressed, let alone get on the bus to meet her. I've text some friends for a bit of text support (we're very good at grounding each other) but I've had no response yet. Part of my anxiety is down to my new relationship - ironically, I am increasingly anxious about the fact that I'm anxious and not coping so well on a personal level and it's making me feel completely inadequate and I worry that the way I'm feeling is a reason for him to not be interested. That's all completely unfounded as he is very supportive and understanding, but I don't want to go to him with my problems because I worry he'll just see me as having too much baggage. I'm tempted to ask my STBXH to take the DC today, but he also has work and I don't want to feel inadequate as a mother by having to ask him to help.

I don't even know what I'm asking. I just need to not feel completely alone.

Jellycatspyjamas Fri 08-Jun-18 08:29:03

Ok, first things first. Just breathe, breathe in slowly for a count of 4, hold your breath for 4 and then breathe out slowly for 4 - keep doing this until your head feels better. Brathe right into your lungs properly - it’ll help slow down your whole system.

Put the kids in front of the tv, get a cup of tea/coffee and just focus on drinking it. Every time you think about something else bring your mind back to how warm the cup is in your hands, the taste and scent of your drink, the sounds of the kids laughing at the tv etc. Just sit for 5 mins.

Get dressed, get the kids dressed and get some fresh air - let them run off a bit of steam, see if you can meet someone for coffee or a chat about nothing in particular.

Really, it’s aboit using lots of coping strategies to get through even 5 minutes at a time. I suffer terribly with anxiety - i feel your pain, these things usually help me enough.

justpoppngby Fri 08-Jun-18 08:29:12

Sorry to hear you're feeling like this 💐💐
Is it possible to tell your friend you're struggling today? Would you be ok if they visit you and just chill? If they can.

BringMeTea Fri 08-Jun-18 09:26:39

Sorry you're feeling so bad. Anxiety is horrible. As pp have said try to do something to keep you focused on exactly what you are doing. Keep bringing thoughts back to the present until the gripping anxiety subsides, because it will.

If you can bear it a walk will help. Be kind to yourself. Are you on any meds for this? If not I would consider it. It can really help. flowers

missrabbitismyidol Fri 08-Jun-18 09:43:20

Thank you for your replies. It has subsided a little now although I did have a bit of a cry which probably helped.

I'm on medication for depression and I have an appointment with my GP booked for next week, although I'm unsure if there's anything I can take as, despite my efforts to stop, I'm still breastfeeding.

I just feel so awful and I'm angry at myself that I feel my anxiety is ruining things. I'm thinking of ending my relationship because, although I really like him and can see a future, I just don't see why anyone would want to be with someone like this and my anxiety about him realising just how messed up I am is making me more anxious. He knows my history, he knows and understands why I'm insecure, but I can see it causing problems. I'm constantly wanting reassurance, but trying hard not to seek it from him as I know it's not down to him to reassure me as it's not anything he's done that is making me insecure. I just feel like such a mess.

bluebell34567 Fri 08-Jun-18 09:54:45

could you discuss your med with your gp? the dose or another med.
maybe it is helping with depression but causing you more enxiety?
becareful with coffee and something similar, too much of it can cause it maybe.

missrabbitismyidol Wed 13-Jun-18 19:59:29

I saw the GP today and she has suggested switching from Citalopram (40mg) to Sertraline (100mg), but she would want me to reduce down to 10mg of citalopram gradually before starting Sertraline. I'm uncertain what to do. I previously took Sertraline and ended up switching back to Citalopram but I can't remember the reasons why now. She said that obviously the Citalopram isn't working at the moment so it would be an idea to try the Sertraline again. But the thought of cutting down the Citalopram to 10mg terrifies me. I'm not coping well on 40, I don't want to imagine how much worse it would be on 10. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: