Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Struggling in new job - speak to boss?

(24 Posts)
Karting1967 Thu 07-Jun-18 19:37:25

I'm almost a month into a new role and whilst on paper it ticks a lot of boxes, in reality I just don't feel good there. I have my 30-day appraisal coming up with my boss - how honest should I be at this stage?

jemmstar1980 Thu 07-Jun-18 19:42:36

Don’t tbh give it a bit more time unless you are absolutely hating it. When is the last time you changed jobs? It always takes me a least three months to settle in.

Karting1967 Thu 07-Jun-18 19:47:01

I stepped down from a corporate/director position 18 months ago and temped up until this job. I'd been in that job for 11 years so 2006 was the last time I started a new role.

Karting1967 Thu 07-Jun-18 20:07:24

So what would you say in a 30-day review when asked how it's going, how are you enjoying it etc etc?

Karting1967 Thu 07-Jun-18 20:53:12

Bumping for advice please.

Madonnasmum Thu 07-Jun-18 21:10:20

30 days in is still very early and really you should still be in an induction period. I'd explain you were settling in etc and use the time to find out what their expectations are going forwards.

Madonnasmum Thu 07-Jun-18 21:11:10

I'd also say nothing. It took me 6 months to settle into my job. I hated it to begin with.

Alexindisguise Thu 07-Jun-18 21:14:54

I wouldn't say much at this point, other than trying to be positive. It's very very early days.
I started a new role last year, after 10 years in a previous one, I really hated it for the first 3 months and only felt settled after 6 months. It takes time.

Karting1967 Fri 08-Jun-18 01:52:10

Thank you for the replies. Can I ask what you think changed to make you go from hating it to feeling settled? I'm struggling to get any motivation to perform my role, not sleeping (hence posting at this time!) and can't see how it's going to change.

LanguidLobster Fri 08-Jun-18 01:56:33

Can you pinpoint which aspects of it you might feel unsupported or unsure about/need more training in/which ones you feel good at?

I'd present it in that way. But it's early days smile

Karting1967 Fri 08-Jun-18 12:41:32

Agreed that I need to give it more time and hopefully I will feel better.

Interested to hear from those posters who hated it at the start as to what changed to make them enjoy the job?

Believeitornot Sat 09-Jun-18 07:13:46

You need to work out why you hate it.

Similar to you I stepped down into a lower level role in a different organisation, slightly different sector. I found it hard because:
- I wasn’t used to being supervised in that way
- the culture was different
- it was difficult to pick stuff up due to lack of guidance

I found it so so stressful for the first few months and talked myself into leaving.

However now I’m about 9 months in and I find it easier now.

I did tell my new boss I was struggling and it helped. She didn’t do anything in particular but I got to know people in the team abit better and that made life easier.

So what exactly don’t you like?

MrsDc7 Sat 09-Jun-18 07:18:17

It really depends on why you are not enjoying it. If it is just because it's a different culture/way of working that you are finding it hard to adjust to, I wouldn't say anything until you have given it more time. However, if you are not coping with the demands of the job or don't know what you are doing then you need to speak up and tell your manager you need more support. You don't need to do it in a way that makes you seem incompetent but you can say you are finding some aspects more challenging than others and take it from there. It is better to address issues like that now rather than let them build up and have a negative effect on you

Karting1967 Sat 09-Jun-18 08:26:24

Thank you for the replies. I can identify with a lot of what you wrote believeitornot.

Culture - I'm struggling to see where I fit in. It's a start-up company and I was recruited as they are at the stage where they needed someone to come in and set up all the processes and procedures. There's an established team of telemarketers (who are also 4 friends), the team of 3 directors/owners who set it up - plus me. And I don't belong in either team and don't yet have a team of my own. The telemarketers go off and have regular meetings, the directors have regular meetings and I feel a lot of time I'm watching from the sidelines.

Difficult to pick stuff up - it's a complicated product/method of order processing and it feels like it's being revealed to me in small glimpses, neither of which follow on from each other. So for example I might be told how to invoice a customer with no knowledge yet of what they've actually been sold, what the pricing was or the payment terms. People are happy to give me a training session on X when I ask but I need more guidance to accelerate my learning as I don't know what I don't know (if that makes sense).

The three 3 things I enjoy/can get passionate about at work and which I stressed at interview are - customer service (getting problems solved quickly), operations/organisation (getting stuff done) and staff development/team leadership. I have none of them in this position, hence finding it difficult to get motivated.

Pictureiswonky Sat 09-Jun-18 08:34:51

I went through something similar and one year later, I still don't feel settled. I'm waiting for another year and then I'll move.

Stepping down into a role is very hard. I earn more now but have less responsibility. The company is not big enough for me and I feel like an outsider.

I would give it a bit more time but unless the company is growing fast, you might end up feeling like me. Sorry.

gamerwidow Sat 09-Jun-18 08:40:10

What are the top 3 things you need in order to address the issues you describe. I would go into the meeting saying I’d like to achieve this in the next 3 months along with a plan of what you need to achieve it. If they can’t give you the support you need to make the changes then it might not be for you. Your the one with the experience though so you might need to give them a bit more steer on what’s going to work.

PurpleWithRed Sat 09-Jun-18 08:40:10

You are very clear about what the issues are so tell them at your 30 day review. 1 and 2 can be fixed; 3 is more of an issue - did you know you wouldn't be doing those things or has your job role turned out to be different to the role they advertised/interviewed at?

MrsDc7 Sat 09-Jun-18 09:52:01

I agree with Purple. You're very clear and concise about what the issues are and they aren't unreasonable. I would bring it up but I would also have a few ideas about how I envisioned the issues being resolved. Best of luck, it's horrible to be unsettled at work when you have to spend so much time there

Madonnasmum Sat 09-Jun-18 17:26:13

I hated my job at first as I went from knowing my role inside out to one where I knew nothing and was dependant on others to inform me. I started to settle in once all the pieces of the jigsaw moved into place. Then as I became more knowledgeable my confidence and happiness grew.

Karting1967 Sat 09-Jun-18 20:20:56

Thanks for the replies all. I will bring up issues 1 and 2 in my 30-day review but with constructive suggestions about what can be done to address them.

With regards to the 3 things I mentioned that I could bring to the role (customer service/operations/staff development), at the time of the interview/job offer, they had just won a large order to sell and install their kit to 90 branches of a particular company. This was a big plus for the job - I would have been really busy, making lots of contact with customers, learning through doing, and would have soon needed a couple of extra staff to help run the service team.

Unfortunately they lost this contract just after I started. So whilst they don't see it as a concern in terms of the future security of the business (there are lots more small orders in the order/prospects pipeline), to me it now comes down to what Picture said "unless the company is growing fast, you might end up feeling like me". In other words, it's going to take 10x as long for all the pieces to fall in place.

Karting1967 Wed 13-Jun-18 19:15:44

So it's my 30-day meeting on Friday and I'm trying to finalise my prep but feel worse than ever in terms of being able to deal with it in a positive and constructive fashion. I've been there over a month and feel like I've achieved nothing, bar being able to answer some very basic customer queries.

Today the 3 directors showed me what they've been working on for the last week which all focuses around re-structuring the telemarketers and started develop a sales team. None of the plans including me; of course this is understandable to an extent as they need to develop the sales in order to have something for the operations/customer service pipeline.

And one of the directors told me I need to update my LinkedIn page, something I've been avoiding as I'm not sure I'm there for the long-run.

What a mess.

Karting1967 Wed 13-Jun-18 19:21:19

Plus it was mentioned that a couple of things from my original job description will now be done by other people - website/marketing & comms plan; recruitment and HR processes. These would have been good projects to get involved in which I was looking forward to.

My boss now says we will need to 'start again' on Friday in terms of my priorities and objectives.

Gut feeling is they weren't ready to recruit for this role sad.

museumum Wed 13-Jun-18 20:44:56

Quick. You’ve got till Thursday night to read Lean In by Cheryl Sandberg cover to cover. She talks a lot about her experiences joining start ups when they are in this phase.
You can shape your job to what you want it to be if you grasp this opportunity and really make the most of it. This is an opportunity not a threat.
Have you worked for start ups before. If not read up online about the phases of a start up and go in with knowledge and understanding.

Karting1967 Wed 13-Jun-18 21:06:24

No I've never worked for a start-up. I took a step down (and a 50% pay-cut) for an easier life, to avoid all this. I wanted a job with clear objectives, 9 to 5(ish), make a valuable contribution within my remit but leave the managers to deal with the strategy etc.

Clearly a start-up isn't for me.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: