Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What to do about vicious dog in the park?

(8 Posts)
HairyPlumbs Mon 04-Jun-18 14:16:29

I have a nervous(ish) rescue dog who is always on her lead in the park.

The park has signs up saying no dogs off-lead between 9am-6pm. Despite this, most people do have dog off-lead. Most dogs are well-behaved and all the poorly behaved ones tend to be on-lead.

There is a twat man who takes his dogs into the park and lets them off-lead. One of them is really vicious and goes at other dogs all teeth bared. Last week, this dog and my dog had a bit of a scrap.

When the man sees his dog go for another dog he doesn't rush over to pull his dog away, he doesn't always put it on the lead and he never ever apologises.

I've "intervened" with this man several times ranging from a friendly chat about the dogs to me squealing and swearing like a banshee (this was last week when his dog was trying to pin mine down). Every time I've pointed out that he's unreasonable and irresponsible and I have my dog on the lead so I can control and avoid particular situations. What's the point when his dog is just running free?

I've called the dog warden for our area and he was useless basically saying there was nothing they could do short of monitoring the park 24/7.

I'm at the end of my tether. I can't really take my dog anywhere else as I like to give her a good run around in the park (she's on a super-long training lead). I can't change the time I go to the park as he doesn't seem to go at a particular time.

What else can I do? Every time his dog has a pop at mine she becomes introverted for a couple of days afterwards.

sad

RussellTheLoveMuscle Mon 04-Jun-18 15:01:00

Can you talk to other dog walkers and see if anyone else has had issues with him and his dog? If more people report a dog dangerously out of control the dog warden or police have to act surely.

Can you take your girl somewhere else for a run? Maybe drive somewhere if needs be. Afew days off walks after an attack is good for their stress hormones to drop back down, brain games at home would be great for her.
When another dog comes running up barking to mine I have squirted water at them, shouted "NO!", and on one occasion thrown a choke chain on the ground infront of them at a dog who had attacked mine twice previously along with his three companions, (never at them, and never used apart for this purpose). I have a reactive dog due to her being attacked six times by off lead dogs before she was a year old. It might be worth joining Reactive Dogs Uk on facebook and get advice on how to help her not become scared of dogs before it becomes an issue. Good luck

KarmaStar Mon 04-Jun-18 15:07:25

You can buy some sort of back off spray,it's only water and a high pitches noise for a short second but enough to pull a dog up.providing the noise doesn't upset your dog it might be worth trying.
Speak to your local police or pcso they may have had other complaints.
Does the dog bite?
Sounds like he gets his manners from his owner!

DoryNow Mon 04-Jun-18 15:08:52

Ha! Russell was just going to recommend RDUk as they're brilliant, gives you more confidence to handle the situation of your dog being scared generally.

Personally I'd get a good thick walking stick, not to beat the other dog with but to use as a barrier & push it away, while shouting NO.

Agree with PP this could be dangerous, what if a child got in the way? Do you have any idea where this eeejit lives so you can report him?
Is there any way you could wear a bodycam or have someone with you to record the man's lack of control. Tell him if he doesn't leash his dog you will go to the police. Bloody twat.

So upsetting for you flowers & DDog. cake < dog cake obvs

HairyPlumbs Mon 04-Jun-18 15:24:29

Thank you everyone.

I can't drive so I can't easily take her for a run.

I can't really squirt water or throw anything or carry a stick because the things that make my dog most nervous are sudden noises, sudden movements and the threat of being hit so all these things would just add to her stress.

She's not actually stressed when the dog does it, she gives it back a good 'un. But it's kind of like she dwells on it when we get home and she gets a bit clingy. But in the moment, she will really give it back!

The dog doesn't actually bite but it's that horrible high-pitched snarly tangling with teeth bared. Horrible.

I've talked to other dog walkers but people don't seem to have the same issue because their dogs run away from this vicious dog and the vicious dog doesn't pursue them so they just see it as this dog having a bit of a grumble. I think it's because my dog answers back and doesn't run off that we have such an issue. I feel like a bloody hysterical banshee ranting at all the other dog owners who don't seem to have a problem.

TBH, it's not that the dog has a grumble- I know some dogs are bad-mannered and grumpy. It's that the dog just roams freely having her grumbles at everyone and that the owner makes no attempt to get her back or apologise. Twat.

I'll have a look at RDUK, thank you.

steppemum Mon 04-Jun-18 15:31:53

photograph/video him and his dog, and tell him your reporting him to the police for having a dangerous dog out of control.

(I would only do this if I wasn't on my own though)

HairyPlumbs Mon 04-Jun-18 15:38:13

That's a really good idea to film, thanks to those who've suggested it.

I'm not bothered about being on my own. The bloke is about 75 and a completely strip of piss so I've no concerns about him getting violent or the like.

I don't know where he lives. I think it might be a couple of miles from me as I saw him heading into a corner shop without his dog a couple of miles away from where I live. So it wouldn't be particularly easy to find out where he lives unless I start loitering at this shop like a hoodlum!

DoryNow Wed 13-Jun-18 13:24:22

How's it been recently OP? grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: