Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Anyone care to join me in a bit of Harry Potter over-think?

(153 Posts)
PyongyangKipperbang Sat 02-Jun-18 00:21:54

So......Dumbledore says to Harry (DH - Kings Cross) that power was his weakness, which is why he turned down being MoM three times.

But was it really because he knew he couldnt be trusetd with power, or because he knew that as Headmaster of Hogwarts, Harry's guide and Snapes "handler" he had far more power and didnt want to give it up?

He claimed to care for HArry but allowed Snape to get away with the most appalling bullying of him (and Neville for that matter, who could have just as easily been the Chosen One). I wonder if he was getting his kicks by putting Snape in charge of Harry's safety, knowing Snapes feelings about both Lily and James and seeing what happened.

He had power over the boy who lived and the life of the most evil wizard who ever lived........

Power was his weakness so he avoided it? Nah....not buying that for ONE SECOND!

SapphireSeptember Sat 02-Jun-18 01:19:02

Of course Dumbledore had power, he was a master manipulator and knew exactly what he was doing, none of it very ethical in my opinion. hmm
I also think having a nasty teacher was the least of Harry's worries, what with being stuck living with his abusive relatives and having a Dark Lord trying to kill him nearly every year.

SecretNutellaFix Sat 02-Jun-18 01:34:36

Dumbledore had had responsibilities over all of Wizarding Britain's education for decades. He had power, and intelligence, and charm and he used it all to devastating effect.

PomBearWithoutHerOFRS Sat 02-Jun-18 01:49:48

Dumbledore used Snape to "temper" Harry. He gauged Harry's temperament by how he reacted to the bullying. He left Harry to be abused by the Dursleys for the same reason.

PyongyangKipperbang Sat 02-Jun-18 01:59:06

Dumbledore used Snape to "temper" Harry. He gauged Harry's temperament by how he reacted to the bullying. He left Harry to be abused by the Dursleys for the same reason.

You think?

I think he did it so his big plan ("For the greater good" anyone?) would all come to fruition.

Oswin Sat 02-Jun-18 02:06:42

I think he had much more powers where he was than if he would have took the Mom role.
He was training young wizards, shaping there minds. I do still love him bit he was a shit.

Mhw02 Sat 02-Jun-18 07:31:12

He was also head of the Wizengamot! He was definitely a master manipulator, and although he was one of the "heroes", definitely very "grey" character.

I suppose though, perhaps being head of Hogwarts was a different type of power to being MoM?

MrsJacksonBrodieTheSecond Sat 02-Jun-18 07:34:45

Dumbledore trusts Snape enough to allow him to help protect the Philosophers Stone but clearly ignores Snapes suspicions about Quirrel.

Also what the fuck does Professor Hooch do all day? She teaches one flying lesson in year 1 then just referees matches. She doesn’t even coach the teams, they have to do iron their own. So she does about 6 hourswork a term for (presumably, she doesn’t seem to pop up around the school that much) board and lodging.

MrsJacksonBrodieTheSecond Sat 02-Jun-18 07:36:31

Exactly, Dumbledore was supposed to be really clever, charming, ituitive etc but he didn’t notice that one of his members of staff had Voldemort stuck to the back of his head for a year.

NukaColaGirl Sat 02-Jun-18 07:38:23

Unpopular opinion but Dumbledore is a manipulative horrible tosser and not much better than Voldemort.

PhyllisWig Sat 02-Jun-18 07:39:06

But doesn't he know something about quirrel? I'm sure there's a bit when Harry is looking at snapes memories when dumbledore says to keep an eye on quirrel. Or is that just in the film/have I misremembered?

bruffin Sat 02-Jun-18 07:40:54

He does know somethings up with Quirrell because he tells Snape to keep an eye on Quirrell in the pensieve at the end of DH

MrsJacksonBrodieTheSecond Sat 02-Jun-18 07:41:06

I agree nuka. I think Dumbledore is awful, as is Snape. Snape is hailed as some heart broken character who does the right thing in the end. But he was awful, for years and years to a little boy just because he didn’t like that boys dad.

bruffin Sat 02-Jun-18 07:41:29

X posted Phylliswig

MrsJacksonBrodieTheSecond Sat 02-Jun-18 07:41:42

Does he? I don’t remember that bit. He should have done slightly more about it then!

NukaColaGirl Sat 02-Jun-18 07:47:18

Snape is nothing more than a creepy obsessed stalker. He was awful to a child because he didn’t like his Dad. But he loved Harry’s mother?! But he’s such a petty vindictive character he let his hatred for James override his love for Lily. That love isn’t cute or sweet either, it’s obsessive and grim.

Mhw02 Sat 02-Jun-18 07:54:54

MrsJacksonBrodie, I imagine the children get more than one flying lesson, it's just that they're generally not very interesting so we don't see the rest of them!

HarrietKettleWasHere Sat 02-Jun-18 07:56:05

Dumbledore puts Harry in harms way over things he could have sorted himself.

Reminds me of Gandalf.

Harry and Frodo are both used by a master manipulator wizard.

Mhw02 Sat 02-Jun-18 08:00:58

I'm also going to be very controversial and say I don't think Molly is the wonderful mother figure she's made out to be. She's reactionary and she plays favourites.

ThenCameTheFools Sat 02-Jun-18 08:10:33

Dumbledore is abusive, Molly would have half of MN and Social Services all over her. How can Mr Weasley have effectively, a high powered govt job, yet they live in a dump? What do they actually do with the money?

JK may well be near sainthood, but the characters are poorly developed. I love HP as much as the next woman, but there's surely never been such a saga that leaves you going 'why would he ever say/do that?" so often.

And the answer invariably seems to be because as the books went on, the wordcount went up, the film deadlines got tighter. And I think the editing got poorer.
The first two books are masterpieces of children's literature. Well written and coherent. Then they started to take on a life of their own, and I think JK lost control a bit.

Goblet of Fire, for example should never have seen the light of day.

FirstOfMyName Sat 02-Jun-18 08:40:11

I’ve always thought that about Molly. But she redeems herself with that famous line

Not my daughter you bitch.

Gotta love her for that.

ThenCameTheFools Sat 02-Jun-18 08:56:41

Have you ever noticed that Julie Walters seems to fluff that line? It comes out as 'daughters'. There was a thread about it years back, and now I can't not hear it! I think it's just the film sound effects around the scene, but you do a massive 'say what?' when you first hear it.

PhyllisWig Sat 02-Jun-18 09:34:41

So agree re Molly. Poor Ron - she actively prefers Harry to him ffs!

bruffin Sat 02-Jun-18 10:29:37

No she doesnt, that is Rons insecurity that Voldemort plays on.

DaisyDreaming Sat 02-Jun-18 10:34:58

I’ve neber looked at it that way, I find it hard to accept such a wonderful wizard has faults 😂

I saw it as he turned downMoM as he would be doing it for the wrong reasons- power and he genuinely enjoyed helping shape young people (like any good teacher rather than a power mad person) but that doesn’t explain why he let snaps bully pupils. He was bullied himself and you would think he would want to stop anyone feeling that way, unless he believed the crap that it makes you more resilient

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: