Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How do you make your house smell nice?

(116 Posts)
withaspongeandarustyspanner Wed 30-May-18 07:52:40

I often go to people's houses to drop off and collect kids and I notice fragrant wafts emanating from their houses. I get home and, though mine doesn't smell (I don't think - hard to tell), it doesn't smell lovely.

I clean now more than I ever have, we have tiled and wooden floors (with a rug) but it smells a bit... dusty, I suppose. I dust (with polish), I use frangranced floor cleaners, I open the windows at every opportunity (out at work in the day, so not always practical). We don't have a dog, we do have cats (with a tray - emptied regularly - but will they poo outside?! )

I have a few of those reed diffuser things as well as a wax melter thingy.

What else can I do? What do you do? Top tips please.

MinaPaws Wed 30-May-18 08:03:41

I do what you do - open windows, hoover with essential oil on cotton wool inside the dust bag, mop floors with a mild scented cleaner. I have good quality scented candles. My house never smells completely fresh to me. Poepl do sometimes say the house smells nice (not only when I'm baking smile) so I wonder if we can't smellour own houses.

I knw a woman whose house, children, clothes always smell absolutely divine. She could be a perfumier. You never recognise a specific cleaning smell, just a general gorgeous fresh scent. She's a nurse and an absolute neat freak. I'd love my house to smell like hers but I really can't be arsed to spend every spare minute cleaning.

WindyBee Wed 30-May-18 08:05:14

My rug was beaten with a cricket bat yesterday! And left out for the day. I open windows, room spray from Primark and candles. Not overpowering just subtle

SmartyPants0 Wed 30-May-18 08:09:48

After recommendations on here I now use a splash of Zoflora disinfectant down my plug holes and toilets morning and night... it's a really subtle smell and seems to linger.

ChangoMutney Wed 30-May-18 08:14:23

Zoflora for all cleaning and a splash in the washing for bedding, towels,sports kits and undies. MUJI essential oil mist thing, Aldi Jo Maolne rip off candles and reed difusers (turned daily). Windows opened. I have dogs and worry about the smell.

withaspongeandarustyspanner Wed 30-May-18 08:16:42

I use zoflora to clean my floors with. I'll try the plugs and loo, too.

I would love to have a house like that, but there are other my so many hours in the day, and I can't be added to dedicate my life to it. Maybe that's the choice we make.

I've got a true grace candle in the hall which is lovely and a few St Eval candles plus a white company reed diffuser, but I can't afford them often. Is the Primark stuff good?

withaspongeandarustyspanner Wed 30-May-18 08:17:47

*Only so many hours

Runfatwomanrun Wed 30-May-18 08:23:02

Plug in airfreshener. I've only started using them recently but they have made such a difference. We have a dog so the sitting room especially can get a bit musty. I tried reed diffusers but they gave DH a headache.

Brendatheblender Wed 30-May-18 08:25:16

I use an oil burner and have lots of different wax melts and essential oils.

My friend always says my house smells like a health spa grin

Gertrudethecow Wed 30-May-18 08:27:01

I bet your house does smell nice to your guests and you are just used to it.
I am paranoid that our house smells of dog so am constantly buying plug ins etc. I always ask my very honest sister if it smells doggy and she has only said yes on a handful of occasions.

withaspongeandarustyspanner Wed 30-May-18 08:27:22

How lovely is that Brenda? I would love my house smelled like that.

withaspongeandarustyspanner Wed 30-May-18 08:28:08

I could ask my mother; she would be brutally honest 😆

musicinthe00ssucks Wed 30-May-18 08:33:41

The scented things in Aldi are very good. The Jo Malone rip off collection includes reed diffusers, room spray and scented candles, all for about £3. I bought my Jo Malone junkie friend the room spray and she absolutely loved it.

pastabest Wed 30-May-18 08:35:14

I've figured out that my friends who have nice smelling houses do a lot of laundry and use the same nice smelling laundry powder and fabric conditioners consistently rather than the 'what's on offer' approach I have.

It means there is a fresh clean smell throughout the house - cloths, bed linen , towels, tea towels etc.

starryeyed19 Wed 30-May-18 08:37:25

I started using Method multi surface spray yesterday and it's GORGEOUS and the scent lasts

Singlenotsingle Wed 30-May-18 08:37:30

I don't use anything; no sprays, plug-ins, or candles. I just don't trust that all those chemicals are good for the lungs. Apart from which I think they can mask any nasty smells - if the cat has brought a mouse in to die somewhere, or the dog has wee'd, I want to know about it. (And I don't use perfume either.) I make sure that windows are open as much as possible unless it's too cold. And I don't think my house smells ! hmm

withaspongeandarustyspanner Wed 30-May-18 08:38:43

I do a lot of laundry (I have lots of kids), but recently I've had to change washing products (and use no fabric conditioners) because of allergies. I've found a nice clean smelling washing liquid from Morrison's. My washing machine and tumbledryer is in an outbuilding so I don't benefit from laundry smells.

SloanePeterson Wed 30-May-18 08:40:00

I buy scented candles from TK Maxx and Jo Malone when they have their freebie game. But for then pp who said they want their house to smell like a spa, I picked up a burner oil in Sainsburys yesterday for three quid called Spa something or other, and it smells just like my expensive Neom candles.

LadyMisty Wed 30-May-18 08:40:10

I use Dachsy Waxy wax melts. They're bloody amazing and waaaay better than Yankee candles.
https://www.facebook.com/Dachsy-Waxy-140000050005395/

PickleNeedsAFriendInReading Wed 30-May-18 08:41:52

I worry about this too - I have a very small flat where the kitchen is in the same room as the sitting room, and cooking smells just last forever, despite windows open, extractor fan going, etc.

I try those anti-cooking-smell candles from Lakeland, but they don't really help. I sometimes simmer cinammon and cloves on the hob, which works, but is a pain to do every day, and smells quite Christmassy!

I haven't yet found a scented candle that I like - I have one left from ages ago, handmade from a maker in London that a friend gave me, but it doesn't seem to be available any longer. It's the only one I ever liked!

So i'm a bit stuck too. Maybe I will have to try Zoflora, but I'm also not keen on chemical smells, there's something about them that bothers me. I had a reed diffuser and coudln't stand it - maybe it was too cheap?!

So following for any further ideas, especially re. the cooking smells.

KlutzyDraconequus Wed 30-May-18 08:46:33

get a nice but washable throw for your sofa. bung it in the washer with half a cup of white vinegar on a quick wash. once finished sprinkle a cap full of Zoflora directly onto the throw whilst still in the machine and set to spin. as it spins it'll force the water out and the Zoflora in.
it should come out quite dry on a decent spin so just hang it on banister of the stairs or a proper airer to get it fully dry. once dry fold it consatina style and pop it on the back of the sofa or drape over.
lovely fresh smell will radiate for days and days. (or it does for me anyway.)

AlfieandAnnieRose Wed 30-May-18 08:51:11

Someone mentioned plug in air fresheners, I wouldn’t personally use them as they are not great for your health. They contain toxic chemicals some linked to cancer, such as formaldehyde.
I used to get a headache whenever I turned mine on so I had a look online to see if could be linked to the plug in and was quite shocked.

HariboIsMyCrack Wed 30-May-18 08:53:58

If you want the spa smell, use a few drops of lemongrass oil in a plug-in mist diffuser. (That's what I use for noxious nappies and it seems to work).

HoneyDragon Wed 30-May-18 08:55:18

My house smells of coffee, dog and incense (I smudge regularly). I’m quite confused at the amount of people who comment how nice and fresh it smells and ask what I use.

willothewisp17 Wed 30-May-18 09:01:14

I use an oil burner in my bedroom, I have reed diffusers in just about every room, and an essential oil diffuser in the living room. I keep my windows open as much as possible, I dry all my daughters clothes on the radiators so they give off a nice clean smell when drying. My kitchen is the one room in the house that doesn't really smell lovely, I cook a lot and it's always loads of food smells.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: